Bourbon

Any bourbon drinkers here? Sipping pic related tonight, it's pretty good nothing special. Had Basil Hayden's earlier this week and really enjoyed that.

How do you drink your bourbon?
What have you had recently that was good? Bad?
Do you ever cook with it?

Cheers

I like evan williams and sometimes i put a splash of cola in it.

i like to put bourbon or other brown liquor in pie crust, both sweet or savory.

You're probably trollin', but Evan Williams really isn't that bad. As far as "bottom shelf" bourbons go, that's my go-to.

Old Crow.used to carry a flask out and have people guess what it was, most said Maker's Mark or similar
>kek

nah I wasn't. I like cheap bourbon and evan is my favorite one ive tried.

Bet it would go well in pecan pie

EW is much better than any other comparably priced bourbon I've tried, but I usually just grab Wild Turkey 101 if I'm in the mood for bourbon.

Wild turkey 101 on the rocks. I got a bunch of my friends to drink Wild Turkey 101 with lemonade this past summer during a heat wave.

makers mark in an old fashioned.

If i want to drink straight/rocks whiskey I'd drink scotch.

My normal sipper is Buffalo Trace, and it also makes a great old fashioned.

Four Roses Small Batch is my runnerup sipper, but it's not as good in an old fashioned imo.

I also recently started drinking Evan Williams 1783. For $12 it's probably one of the best deals out there. Although if you don't like overly sweet bourbons with high corn content, it might not be for you.

Also if you can get your hands on some Weller 12 and Weller Antique, you can make your own Poor Man's Pappy. But good luck finding those nowadays.

Try Larceny. Similar price point as Buffalo Trace and imo a straight upgrade.

Didnt have any luck finding weller around here yet. I'll have to give buffalo trace a try

forgot to add, four roses is one of my favorites

drinking willett's tonight
it's breddy gud

I have heard great things about Larceny and it's been on my to-drink list. But I'm running out of storage space so I need to finish up some of these other bottles I got lying around.

>assuming that's your collection
How do you like that eagle rare?

Not OP but I find Eagle Rare 10 to have a pretty sharp nose with lots of caramel notes and also varnish. The taste is a little peppery for me but doesn't linger too long, and also there is a slight bitter aftertaste that I don't find too enjoyable. With a little water, this bitterness seems to get a little accentuated so I try to not make old fashioneds with it.

I also don't really enjoy it, for the amount of hype it gets. Has too much of that bitter aftertaste and bite. Should be about 25% cheaper for what it delivers

I'm mainly a scotch drinker, but I always keep a bottle of Bulleit around. Out of all the ones readily available in the UK that is my favourite so far. Cheap too.

Four roses and buffalo trace should also be readily available, they are consistently marked higher, try them, buffalo would be my first pick in the affordable category. Maybe Makers but its wee bit overpriced.

Sad that we dont get any Larceny here in the nordic climate... Always hear its cheap good wheater.

Haven't tried four roses, but BT was nice too. Found it a bit bland and haven't bought it again, maybe I should pick up another bottle. Picked up some Makers in Costco a few months ago and it was very nice too. I think one of my local supermarkets sells Eagle Rare 10, is that any good?

It comes from the same place as buffalo, sadly it isnt available here so I havent tasted it. Some say its more tasty, older whiskey than the buffalo, but some complain of wierd finish.

I think eagle rare is gross. Way too sweet tasting

I find buffalo trace to be much more palatable even though it's the same juice as eagle rare just without the 10 years, somehow doesn't taste nearly as sweet

Willett pot still reserve is still my favorite bourbon thus far

I tried some blantons single barrel two nights ago and thought it was underwhelming. No real distinguishing character to it and had wayyy too much heat

Had a James e pepper rye whiskey last week that was great

Old crow reserve was actually pretty good and like 15$ a handle

Picked up some buffalo trace today... gonna break into once I finish up with work

What's the best bourbon for the 20-25 price range? I normally drink handles of seagram's because of my poverty but I'm willing to halve the amount for slightly better flavor. Also if I have a handle laying around I know I will drink it all very quickly

old overholt, its $21 for a liter near me

Noob getting into bourbon here.
Pic related are the 4 I've tried recently (some multiple bottles). I enjoy old fashioneds and occasionally on the rocks. I’m working my way up to neat with a splash of water.
Here are my reviews from a pleb perspective:
Bulleit Bourbon – Sweet and spicy, better for sipping on the rocks than old fashioneds
Wild Turkey 101- Surprisingly smooth but strong enough to taste every sip, probably my favorite so far
Knob Creek – a little overwhelmingly spicy, my least favorite so far
Makers Mark – smooth but felt a little “whimpy”. I would definitely recommend but it is not my favorite.

I've traveled to about 5 liquor stores in my local area and not been able to find buffalo trace. Is it common where you live?

Yes it's about as ubiquitous as Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam. Are you in the US?

Yes- Maryland. I guess I've just been unlucky. Thanks for the info. I'll look harder.

Maybe call in advance to save yourself a few trips.

Maker's is garbage.

Bulleit's rye is far better than other Bulleit varieties.

Otherwise you're off to a decent start. Try "W. L. Weller" Wheated Bourbon (good and cheap) and "Woodford Reserve" (great, not cheap).

Thanks for the advice. I enjoyed the bulleit rye but I was keeping it bourbon related.
Weller & Woodford added to my list to try.

Most definitely, friendo. I recommend Woodford to anyone: it is one of the few I can actually sip on a few glasses of.

Good luck finding Weller nowadays. That shit's harder to find than Pappy.

Can't go wrong with Woodford

Been drinking Larceny recently because the price is killer for the quality.

Tried 1792 recently and was happy with it, nice and smooth but decently expensive depending.

Never hurts to talk to the guy at the counter. Went in today and he mentioned they are going to the distillery in august, so I'll definitely be hovering around to claim my bottle or two

In my state (Ohio) it's generally hard to find any but the most common bourbons. I can get Weller easily, but I have yet to find a shop that has Pappy. I'm more of a rye than wheat fan, but when I'm on a wheater kick I get Weller.

How much do you spend a week / month on bourbon?
I've been buying a new bottle every week and its an easy $100 a month habit.

I personally like Four Roses and Bird Dog, although my friends hate them.
They only drink craft beers for the most part so take it as you will.

How well my life is going:

Poorly Greatly

Kentucky Deluxe < Evan Williams < Jim Beam < Buffalo Trace

Jack Daniels is a meme

around $300 a month

I like Whiskey. It's best on the rocks, with 3-4 packets of splenda.

>and its an easy $100 a month habit.

Jesus. Does that not cut into your weed budget..?

I really like Jack. It tastes like sourdough bread. Yeasty, tangy, grainy, a bit sour (just the tip). Reminds me of my mother's baking.

user weed isnt legal

Did your mother bake with Minwax? Cuz the only thing I taste from JD is industrial grade varnish.

About $250 per month depending on which bottles I drain

luckily your next door to ky, I'm in ohio bout an hour from the border and don't have a hard time, only seen pappy at a bar though.

so far easy to drink neat, has a nice bite but still smooth. going for a second glass

>smoking weed
it cuts into my crack and norco budget though

What's the better daily sipper?

larceny is cheaper and better. runs a little hot tho.

Elmer T Lee, the previous owner of the Buffalo Trace distillery, made his best stuff available by barrel only to liquor stores willing to buy whole barrels and re-sell by the bottle. It was pappy-van-winkle good and only around 35 or 40 bucks a bottle. But, Elmer T died and the price shot up. Im sure you can still get Elmer T Lee label bottles around, but i doubt they are 35 bucks anymore and they sure as shit aren't the quality they used to be.
>sigh. shoulda stocked up

>sigh I'm an epic faggot

I kinda prefer the lower proofs. Haven't tried this one yet. Any good?

what's a good bourbon I can buy at the LCBO?

I normally don't drink it because Canadian whisky is more common and cheaper.

Bookers is good, I drink it every now and then. But most of the time I will have Macallan scotch.

>canadian whisky

better thank yank rubbish

>YANK RUBBISH

nickel is good but idk about a daily sipper. I find it a unique taste that i crave once in a while, not something i'd go to while i cook or after i eat.

but hey, to each their own.

never heard of that, so I just went and checked, prices are a bit high but I don't know anything about canuckbucks. Anyway, all of the one's under the Beam name are solid choices. I prefer Basil Hayden's.

1792 and woodford are also good choices

I use Maker's Mark for mixing and I use Woodford Reserve for sipping

What's your address so I can ship you a delivery of these hands

Elijah Craig usedto be my favorite. Then they got rid of an age statement.

>there are people lurking Veeky Forums RIGHT NOW who think it's ok to cook with bourbon
Right up there with shoving a beer can up a chicken's ass in terms of most neckbeardy things you can do with a drink. The only alcoholic beverages people should cook with are wines (including both fortified and unfortified wines), brandies, and vodka. Other than dessert where a few other items are permitted under limited circumstances. Please submit a written request and do not do this until an adult has signed off on it.

And above all no beer, no bourbon, no scotch. That shit is for drinking, IDGAF how "epic" it sounds. You want to impress youtube, set yourself on fire or something.

Me and my friend made fondue once and we didn't have whatever alcohol that we needed for the recipe so we used bourbon. It turned out really good.

yeah, slimy tactics

Apparently only 1 of the 6 Total Wine & Spirits locations in my metro area has it. On the website they include this text on the listing "Produced in very limited amounts. Sold only in stores where available."

Thread pretty much covered my usual suspects, but let me explain you a thing.

Pic related mixed with ice cold lemonade is really nice during summer nights.

I agree completely.

myniggaz.jpg

Picked this one up at the bottlo a few weeks back. I'm a novice whisky drinker and had it on rocks, it didn't have sting on it though.

I mean, no skin off my nose if you don't get to experience imperial stout-marinated stuffed chicken. Sorry bud.