Chinese veggies

I bought bok choy on a whim yesterday and stir fried it with garlic and soy sauce.

It was so fucking good.

Recommend me more chinese or asian veggies with recipes please.

I'm fucking tired of cabbage and broccoli.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-cACd0cF92Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

durian

Not everyone likes it. I'm Asian (Singaporean). Family bought that home once and stored some in the fridge. Didn't open it for a fortnight due to the smell.

Water spinach (Kang Kong) tastes quite good with a bit of chili

Sword lettuce/fumak in hokkiennese

youtube.com/watch?v=-cACd0cF92Q

Basically, blanch some bean sprouts, and season with soy sauce or anything you like.

Sword lettuce is great.

Also suggesting snow pea leaves and pepper leaves.

Gailon is GOAT

Pea tips and choy sum

>I'm fucking tired of cabbage
Then you're in for a disappointment, as a majority of Chinese vegetables are some form of cabbage. Including bok choy and broccoli.

Try Chinese eggplant, Chinese celery, leafy Chinese broccoli, bamboo shoots, and mushrooms of all varieties (needle mushrooms, wood ear, shitake, straw mushroom, etc.)

Snow pea shoots/tips/sprouts (pic related, not the snowpeas themselves) cooked just like you did with the bok choy.

Also gai lan/chinese broccoli, which is basically broccoli rabe.

There's also a veggie whose name escapes me, the heartless vegtable (might be the aforementioned water spinach?).

There's also the "wife beating vegtable," so named because it's huge in its raw state but then cooks down to practically nothing (resulting the the farmer husband beating the shit out of the wife for wasting so much of it).

Bok choy with sauteed (in butter) shallots and garlic with oyster sauce.

Just go to your local Asian grocery and see what they got, then experiment. There's a lot of popular stuff that readily available as long as you live in a somewhat urban area, like mung beans, snap peas, winter melon, bitter melon, red spinach, sweet potato leaves, bean sprouts, lotus root, taro, and too many varieties of shrooms to list.

Pak choi (PEPPERY)
Choy sum.
Chinese cabbage (great with oyster sauce).

Also, nappa cabbage.

Tried to cook bok choy before but it was very stringy , nearly choked on it , did I cook it wrong or is it meant to be like that ?

It helps to chop your veggies so u get bite size pieces instead of trying to deepthroat it.

It doesn't need to be cooked for long. It will get a bit tough if you do, but you may have just gotten shitty bok choy. You want to look for vibrant colors, no buds, very plump, and smaller bunches.

>fortnight
muh nigga

I've made it like in your pic. It wasn't bad.

>Kang kong

I like wood ear mushrooms, but then again I am a heavy smoker and my taste buds are long dead so I only eat them for the texture.

Bok choy is fine. But if you're a burger you honestly won't have access to any of the god tier Chinese veggies, sorry m8.

Durian is better if you freeze it first, it's creamy like ice cream.

Urban legend ish story, friend of a friend of family saw a white guy in Hong Kong who, upon seeing a bunch of Asians sniff at Durian, came up and took a sniff himself - promply passe out on the street.

...then, ah, the use of pointy Durian in Hong Kong comedies, thrown onto the backs of fleeing thiefs!

My tastebuds are find and I can tell you, the only thing they have is texture.

I love nappa cabbage, I eat it with kimchi and noodles.

The most delicious way of eating bok choy is to wok-fried it with a bit of oil, especially if you simmer some ginseng in the oil first...but its less healthy cause oil.

Boil it a bit, in water that had ginseng in it first. To use ginseng, slice a small piece, skin it, and then bash it with something heavy (usually the blunt end of a cleaver).

I love panfried baby bok choy! I remember when I was a kid, it used to be cheap, it was what the farmer pulled out to thin the fields, then people realise it was delicious and so like the lobster it got more expensive!

Chinese broccoli. Cook the stems to make them tender and finish the tops and leaves on low with the lid on.

I started putting it in my chicken tinolang and the gentle bitterness of the leaves goes well with the soft sweetness of the chayote squash.

Water spinach and dragon's mustache.

my favourites are gai lan and choy sum

great in stir fries and the latter in soups

kang kong, but you need shrimp paste to stir fry it properly and it will stink up your house unless you have an outdoor gas setup

How do I make this stuff? Got any recipes?

>on choy
based

For vegetables you basically stir fry them in oil until they wilt a bit, not too much. Depending on the kind, add garlic, a bit of salt. I'm not a big fan of sauced vegetables, the flavor of the vegetable itself is enough in my book.

You could try "fat choy" (髮菜), which is an interesting type of mosslike bacteria prized for its taste and "angel-hair" texture.

The word "bacteria" might freak you out, but think in terms of algae/seaweed, which are kind of the same thing. Nostoc flagelliforme is perfectly safe to eat. Some people in the west cultivate their own.

"fat choy" is eaten during new years and many banquets because the vegetable also sound like "becoming rich" - I'm quite convince that's the only reason because it taste ew.

A lot of "fat choy" on the market are fake, if you soak it in water and the water starts to turn black, yup, it's something else that's been dyed black.

Chink here.

How do white people prepare their veggies usually? I only know salad.

steaming (carrots/broccoli/cauliflower), stewing (collard/mustard/turnip greens - fantastically delicious), heating with oil and garlic (spinach), roasting (carrots, potatoes, turnips, zuccini, eggplant, etc), grilling (eggplant, zuccini)

there's a million choices, famalam

Kek