What's some goodass dishes from the ancient world?

What's some goodass dishes from the ancient world?
Preferably something that isn't still common.

Other urls found in this thread:

drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/06/wine-history-paul-lukacs-inventing-wine-how-wine-was-modernized-ancient-wine-tasted-terrible.html
pass-the-garum.blogspot.com
youtube.com/watch?v=0q66NuZrB2E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In the Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly Hall, there was a combination of foods that Pythagoras ate frequently on praying trips. It's supposed to be the same thing Hercules ate while doing his trials.

I don't have the book on me at the moment

Meat preserved with honey

Smoked mammoth ribs.

I never knew I wanted this but I really do now

The gastronomic life in the ancient world was pretty much miserable all around, except in Mesoamerica which gave you everything you love today.

I read about a guy who butchered a draft horse, buried in a pond for the winter, then dug it back up and cooked it. Combination of bacteria at the bottom of the bond and the cold anaerobic conditions were enough to keep it preserved

Manchu Han Imperial Full Course
iirc you can still get the course served in some really high end places but it's like half a million bucks

garum

Mediterranean diet is lovely, wtf are you talking about?

>wat is tomato
>wat is courgette
>wat is moulard duck
>wat is chocolate
>wat is vanilla
>wat is capsicum
>wat is a bean
>wat is maize
Enjoy your pulverized chestnuts with fermented fish paste and salt

He's talking about literally ancient

Pasteli

Wine, bread, cheese, olive oil and fish sounds pretty great to me.

Sorry to break it to you but ancient wine wasn't very good either. Fermentations would routinely get infected with other microorganisms, causing unpleasant flavors and aromas, and sometimes creating dangerous byproducts. The buzz would be harsh, and the hangover brutal. That's why you see so many references to cutting wine with other stuff (even seawater), why ancient accounts of drunkenness made it sound a lot more like tripping your balls off than being "just drunk", and why using stuff like pitch and resin for the containers was totally fine because the taste was fucked from the start.

[citation needed]

roman gnocchi

genovese sauce

wine

These guys look so comfy

It's known as a rôti sans pareil today, but the romans did it too.

It's a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an ortolan bunting and a garden warbler.

Except for the turkey, of course.

>>wat is tomato
Important; fair enough.
>>wat is courgette
Gourds are endemic to the old world you fucking mong.
>>wat is moulard duck
Are you seriously
>implying
that domesticated ducks didn't exist in the old world?
>>wat is chocolate
A luxury good.
>>wat is vanilla
Ditto.
>>wat is capsicum
See above. Nutritious, but more-or-less a seasoning.
>>wat is a bean
Beans are also endemic to the old world, as are many other legumes.
>>wat is maize
Not nearly as important as tomatoes, except as oil and fodder.

While this article is clickbait, it should give you a rough idea. I don't think you have any idea how good wine drinkers have it today. Only the most elite of the elite could afford to drink good wine. Today, a $8 bottle of wine is pretty much fine and $40 gets you some of the finest wine produced in the history of mankind. Even in my lifetime (oldfag here) the equivalent cheap ass wine back in the day wasn't nearly as good. Temperature controlled fermentation, reverse osmosis, micro oxygenation, etc. means palatable wine can be produced on a massive scale.

drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/06/wine-history-paul-lukacs-inventing-wine-how-wine-was-modernized-ancient-wine-tasted-terrible.html

>wat is beef
>wat is dairy
>wat is pork
>wat is chicken
>wat is lamb
>wat is wheat
>wat is rice
>wat is onion
>wat is garlic
>wat is leek
>wat is apple
>wat is almond
>wat is cherry
>wat is citrus fruits
>wat is cucumber
>wat is melon
>wat basil
>wat is lettuce

Well looks like you btfo, Pedro. What are you gonna do now?

1. My name isn't Pedro
2. I'm ethnically Swedish
3. Nothing wrong with any of those, but a life without is a miserable life indeed

>Swedish is an ethnicity
Retard.

ancient and medieval European food was pretty solid
I have a medieval cookbook and the stuff they did was fantastic sounding.
they really prided themselves in showmanship and subtle flavours

Roman food sounds good as well, I've tried to make a few Roman dishes though

pic related is one of the easier ones I've made

some are a bit difficult like Ostrich Ragoût or roast wild boar

I replaced Garum with some Asian fish sauce though its basicly the exact same thing

Then what is it

I'm not that idiot swede, but swedish definitely is an ethnicity.

here's another good one I've made

Then we can't include Aztec food because food from 1400 years after the birth of christ hardly counts as ancient.

Aztecs were 2000 years behind so it counts :^)))))

in several accounts of ancient literature people talked about a resinous wine that had to be cut down with all sorts of shit, like honey, water, fruits, etc

the Illiad and oddissey for example

must be why we killed them all
jealousy

>Enjoy your pulverized chestnuts with fermented fish paste and salt

That sounds delicious, especially as an extra filling inside a stuffed grape leaf.

you forgot salad

Romans ate rat often.

>2. I'm ethnically Swedish
Okay, Mohamed.

>dishes without these ingredients can't be good
Mesoamerica must have sucked, cause there's way more good shit in europe. Garlic alone beats literally all of that. onion too.

Jesus Christ dude

not that guy but what did he say to make you react like that?

literally all of this sounds tasty pass-the-garum.blogspot.com

>doesn't realize wild garlic and onion grew all over the new world, and would grow in his backyard if his parents weren't Monsanto sycophants and sprayed toxins 6 times a year in the yard at the house where he lives in the basement.

hey I have a flat

>beans are endemic to the old world
no
>as are mant ther legumes
lentils, garbanzos and others are indeed fron central asia. I couldn't imagine life without any of them desu

>Only Phaeseolids are beans; Vigna doesn't real

Kill yourself.

>b-but fava beans count right? huehuehue
no one cares

Just on a whim, I cut all new world foods out of my diet. It was fun and easy. I still cook without any of the things you listed regularly and could easily get along without them.
Black pepper > chili pepper

>Black pepper > chili pepper
What is this, some kind of shitty D&D fantasy, like "fire beats wood" or some shit? They're not even remotely similar, how can you compare them?

I did this too funnily enough, because I'm obsessed with ancient Greece & Rome

And Adzuki beans. And garbanzo beans. And mung beans. And string beans. And any of dozens of other old-world legumes that have been called a bean at one point or another.

Even the word "bean" is attested to in proto-germanic and probably has a PIE root.

You were wrong; get ogre it.

>etymology=biology
ok

>bacteria at the bottom of the bond

oh man, never realized he was a manlet before.

5'6 is average

you can still get old-style retsina in Greece. just have to know where to look

You can get it in murika too
But there are much better Greek wines than that

Starvation.

French cuisine was always the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=0q66NuZrB2E

Realistically, in Rome, Spitroasted Rat might be the only protein you get in a week.

serious post, I got one. Stuffed dates. pit the dates, and stuff them with a premade mixture of breadcrumbs, pine nuts, hazelnut, minced apple, lemon juice, honey, sweet white wine, and cinnamon, nutmeg and a tiny bit of lovage (if you can find it) to taste. This is my personal variation of a recipe from Apicius' recipe book.

What's the book called?

its just called "the medevial cookbook" by Maggie Black with recipes and historical info from the 5th to the 16th centuries

if you were a pleb
but just because a rat grosses you out doesn't make it a bad meal.

>Stuffed Dormice / Ancient Rome
>Prepare a stuffing of dormouse meat or pork, pepper, pine nuts, broth, asafoetida, and some garum (substitute anchovy paste.) Stuff the mice and sew them up. Bake them in an oven on a tile.

or the giant cane rat in west Africa sounds especially good

>Stewed Cane Rat
>Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Grilled Rats Bordeaux Style
>Alcoholic rats inhabiting wine cellars are skinned and eviscerated, brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots, and grilled over a fire of broken wine barrels.

>pine nuts
>hazelnuts
>exotic spices
750,000 ancient dollarydoos

Nice

man this shit was significantly more common in Rome
almost as easy to get as now, and probably only slightly more costly to get quality/quantity

>What is winter for 8 months of the year