Help with recipe for Bolognese

Hey there, /ck: I'm looking to make a Bolognese sauce, and I found a recipe that looks decent and that is well-rated (foodnouveau.com/recipes/how-tos/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/).

The only thing is that one of the ingredients that the recipe calls for is "1 can whole San Marzano tomatoes", which, from what I can gather, is a pricey import. Now, I am sure I have never seen these in any grocery store where I live, and am wondering what would make a suitable replacement. Because the recipe calls for both the actual tomatoes and their liquid, I am assuming a decent replacement would be regular canned diced tomatoes, but I'm not sure.

A little help, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=587&Itemid=976
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

San Marzano tomatoes are more expensive than normal canned tomatoes, but not by much. They're also very commonly found in normal supermarkets. You'd have to be living in bumfuck nowhere in order for those to be hard to find. I live in a small town in Texas and every supermarket near by, including wal-mart, has san marzanos. They cost less than a dollar more than the normal canned tomatoes.

You can get whole plum tomatoes. Don't go with diced.

>bolognese sauce
>an entire can of tomatoes
lol no
bolognese is not a tomato sauce, a tablespoon of tomato paste for acidity and you're done. if you use a sufficiently acidic wine you can even skip that.

Any canned tomato will work, but san marzano are generally recommended because they are superior to the standard american canned tomato. I'd say get the best available in your groceries.

Alright, I'll try to look for them in the canned tomato aisle.

I'm assuming you mean fresh plum tomatoes? How would I prepare them to add to the recipe?

Canned whole plum tomatoes are common. With the fresh variety do the same as you would with whole canned. Make sure that they're ripe before you buy.

Wait no, fuck me. What you do with fresh tomatoes is blanch them and then cut them up

Okay then! This sounds like decent advice, and I would much rather use fresh tomatoes than canned. So get some plum tomatoes, blanch them (never done it before, but the process seems easy enough), cut up, and add in place of the canned tomatoes!

Thanks!

Almost forgot, peel the skin off after blanching but before cutting them up.

Don't replace canned with fresh.
Canned tomatoes are harvested in season and at peak ripeness, fresh winter tomatoes can't compete.
You'd be better off using a can of the cheapest diced stuff.

Where do you live? Because last time I checked, the bolo was quite tomato-y. Not a tomato sauce per say but definitely got some tomato

torino

Just one last question: the recipe calls for the addition of the liquid from the canned tomatoes. Seeing as I'll be using fresh blanched tomatoes instead, what I should use to replace this liquid?

There are plenty of types of ragu with their own names, I don't know which you are eating. But bolognese is a specific thing and doesn't contain tomatoes.

I see. Damn.

So you think I can find a can of 'San Marzano tomatoes' in a Wal-Mart?

From what I know, Bolognese DOES contain tomatoes. However, tomatoes are not the main ingredient, and their contribution is less to the flavor profile and more to the color.

Use any can of whole peeled tomatoes. Plum if you can find them.
San Marzanos aren't better than any of the mid-high priced brands most of the time imo

Does anyone else find themselves adding far more wine than recipes call for? I find myself adding a cup or more per pound of meat. One cup per kilo doesn't seem like much.

Got it, user! Thanks!

Not wine, but I once did that with beer in a chili recipe. Although I think -in that instance - adding too much beer ended up making the chili not as good as other times.

Adding beer to chili is just some dumb thing that rednecks do because it's "epic". Within reason it's just more water. Going overboard means you have to deal with more stale overcooked hops taste

Wine has two specific features that make it useful for cooking: sugar, and acidity. Used property they make a positive contribution to meat dishes (acid breaks down collagen). Wine is not beer

Just get whatever decent-quality regular whole canned tomatoes you'd normally get, if the recipe is worth a shit it'll still be good

bolognese has an official recipe. it contains 5 teaspoons of tomato sauce per 300g ground beef

itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=587&Itemid=976

>5 teaspoons
No, user.

a teaspoon is 5ML. this is an international standard. the recipe calls for 5 spoons or 20gr tomato paste. Assuming the relative density of the extract to the sauce is 5:4 then 20gr= 25 ml which seems to be spot on.

The recipe in the OP and the official one you posted are nearly identical.

What a lackluster-looking site.