FACT. If you use pic related, you have no right to call yourself a chef

FACT. If you use pic related, you have no right to call yourself a chef.

I use Japanese Waterstones once a week on my blades. It takes about two hours, and then prior to cooking each day I take 20 minutes to polish up the edge. This is the MINIMUM effort a good chef should put forward to care for his knives.

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchn.com/did-you-know-this-steel-doesnt-actually-sharpen-knives-211855
google.com/search?q=knife maintenance
youtube.com/watch?v=W4SitQ0cknc
thesweethome.com/reviews/best-knife-sharpening-tool/#a-top-of-the-line-electric-sharpener
amazon.co.uk/WUSTHOF-WU4066-09-Wusthof-Paring/dp/B00005MEGH
knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-wusthof-silverpoint-paring-knife-4052-10-cm.htm
macknife.com/products/professional-series-8-chefs-knife-with-dimples-mth-80
macknife.com/collections/superior-series/products/superior-series-10-1-2-bread-roast-slicer-sb-105
knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-kai-shun-gokujo-boning-knife-15-cm.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>once a week on my blades
retarded moron.

Hone your blades once every few days. If it's decent high carbon steel you should only need a REAL sharpening every 3-6 months depending on use.

>hone

Great way to ruin your steel, chef dumbass.

I use an edgepro and an idahone and a hanging strop on my double sided knives, and japanese water stones for my japanese traditional knives. Since my japanese traditional knives basically never get touched anymore, it takes about 30 minutes every 2 months for a full restore to hair-popping sharpness on all my actual working knives, and a few seconds a day for routine maintenance.

I also have crippling autism when it comes to knives. I think most people should own a chef's choice.

I just throw dull knives out and buy more.
Any successful chef can afford to do this.

...lol

He's memeing

I just use a lansky sharp stick ceramic rod every once in a while and call it a day

That's a honing rod, it wont actually sharpen anything.

>I'm going to sharpen my steel by rubbing it on a raspy metal dildo

Absolute garbage.

Regardless of whether you hone at all, I fail to see how it can ruin your blade. Honing only moves your blade back to its proper place. Sharpening actually removes tiny layers of the steel.

It's specifically NOT for sharpening, it's for honing. Real sharpening should only be done sparingly so you don't destroy your blade.

It most certainly takes off material

It can take off burs, but it can't actually remove a layer of steel like a sharpening stone can.

>le honing vs sharpening maymay
well that's a blast from the past, I remember Veeky Forums shitting itself with rage after a few well placed comments in this area, circa 2012-2013

Even better. Rubbing your blade on a knobby metal dildo to NOT sharpen it.

>memeing
Bless you, sweet child of summer.
Come back soon, we miss you and love you.

yeah you aren't a "chef"

I'm pretty sure it's been a meme for ages. Probably because high quality knives can be expensive, and know-it-alls always try to educate the unwashed masses on how they should care for their exquisite bushido steel.

Whatever you say, bud

thekitchn.com/did-you-know-this-steel-doesnt-actually-sharpen-knives-211855

A honing rod removes burrs and straightens the blade, numbnuts. It doesn't remove material like sharpening.

>Not spending the entirety of your morning each and every day sharpening your knife collection on your gradient of Wetstones
Fucking casuals, you think you get michelin stars with that level of laziness? I have 12 restaurants and 8 of them are 3 star rated. All because of my atom thick edges on all of my superior japanese knives folded 1000 times

Are you both missing the "ceramic" part? It is literally the same as a ~800 grit stone

The kind of people who screech autistically about "honing isn't sharpening" don't know what ceramic rods are. They'll probably argue with you now and say it's not really ceramic

Also I dunno which one you have but the average ceramic rod is much higher than 800 grit equivalent

Then why do professional knife MAKERS sell ceramic rods as alternatives to honing rods?

I mean, i see SEVERAL knife makers selling ceramic rods SPECIFICALLY for honing and even say they flat out aren't a replacement for sharping.

Because they're better than grooved steels
They're not a replacement for a low grit stone
For more details see this link:
google.com/search?q=knife maintenance

>Then why do professional knife MAKERS sell ceramic rods as alternatives to honing rods
Because they're far finer than what I have. I don't know why you're arguing, you clearly haven't used one.

Asking a question is arguing?

Im saying explain it.

It doesn't seem like it's a proper replacement to a selection of real sharpening stone.

I am fully aware they're better than honing steel, but I still don't think it's enough to actually put a new edge on a blade entirely.

Of course it's not a "proper" replacement for a selection of real sharpening stones, but it sure as shit works.

It's the exact texture as a sharpening stone, so why wouldn't it sharpen?

explain the difference between a blade from your pic and a blade sharpened by weeaboo stones

Dear Veeky Forums I have a drawer that looks like pic related filled with probably-cheap dull knives of various shapes, sizes, and materials crammed against one other that we've acquired over the years (they were like that before I ever learned anything about proper storage). I thought about saving up for a nice knife like a MAC/Wüsthof/Shun/etc that gets mentioned often whenever a thread comes up. However during research on care and maintenance to go along with it, I saw recommendations for the Chef's Choice 15 Trizor XV electric diamond sharpener by ATK and others for it's ability to completely remove edge nicks and convert old blades to a 15° angle.
youtube.com/watch?v=W4SitQ0cknc
thesweethome.com/reviews/best-knife-sharpening-tool/#a-top-of-the-line-electric-sharpener

It costs about the same as one of some of the nicer 8" blades I've seen here discussed previously. Therefore, for someone on a budget (max ~$175), would I more get purchase for my purse if I just bought it and spent an evening running my entire mini-goodwill store of old cutlery through it vs. 1 or 2 new legit blade(s)?

im not going to disagree with you

Jesus Christ, a ceramic rod sharpens AND realigns/straightens the edge, both at the same time. But it does neither really well. I use stones for sharpening and a smooth steel for realigning the edge before cooking, the best way IMHO. the one thing I can definitely NOT recommedn is a diamond "steel" for sharpening/realigning. I have one of those things and it feels horrible dragging my knife over that thing. I would honestly rather sharpen my knife on the curbstone outside my house.

Sometimes I think people on here are not aware of the fact that one can sharpen a knife by doing just a few strokes on the stone on each side after a few days or weeks of use, one doesn't have to grind away half a millimeter of steel each time.

Click the post number to reply

weeb sharpened implies a finer edge and less metal loss

the one shown is perfectly fine for a standard home cook who replaces their knives with relative frequency so metal loss isn't an issue and the need for finer edges are minimal

You are an unbelievably huge faggot.

I use this shit on my knife and nearly broke it, waterstone is the only good way to keep your blade sharp, i use the waterstone once per month (depend on how much i use my knive)

>that friend who takes all his knifes to a "professional" knife sharpener who uses a sanding belt and a bench grinder neither of which is water cooled.

>using a stone
>not using sandpaper
>not using a metal honing rod

Stay away from my knives, user.

>pic

Fuck, I'd love to own every one of those patina'd knives. SS is garbage though.

yeah I was gonna say that's not a bad drawer. lots of trash but some nice ones too.

Any knife fags recognize this symbol? Got this knife for free, says made in Japan since 1908 18f5 on the other side

>go to my mom's
>want to cook something
>she has quite the collection of knives
>all of them blunt as fuck
>tell them to sharpen/hone them some time
>"they're not the kind of knives you sharpen, user".
WHAT THE FUCK MOM

never offer to sharpen anyone's knives especially not your family's

at best they won't care or they'll think you're being annoying

at worst someone ends up in the emergency room

let people take care of their own shit. if they don't care enough, it's their shit. they deal. if you're visiting, you deal too. it's not your shit.

I use Walmart knives. I literally never claimed to be a chef.

Oh don't worry, I would never offer to do such thing. I don't ever offer to do nice things for my family anymore unless they explicitly ask for it. I just suggested her to sharpen some of her knives since she cooks quite a bit, but apparently she's against it for some reason.

Yeah, it's that pedophile symbol from Pizzagate.

I thought chef just meant that you cook food

hitler youth, dude.

>my knive
>his knifes

Don't you freaks know how to spell the name of the most important tool in your kitchen?

stealing that finger print to commit crimes

I replied to every retarded honing, whetstone, deburring, sharpening and realigning post above mine in this thread.

Truth. It seems like every time I sharpen my mom's knives she takes extra pains to cut a cake on a glass platter, or a piece of butter on her granite counter top, often on the same day. And she also gets all pissy when I ask her not to do that because it ruins the blade. She just gives a fuck.

You don't have to be a chef to use decent knives.

Post a pic of your knives arrayed on a table. A cheap, thick shit knife will always remain just that, no matter how good an edge you put on it. But maybe there are some decent ones on your collection.

I work in a japanese restauraunt owned by japanese people and we use $30 knives and an electric sharpener, unless you're a professional chef in a high end restaurant in japan or any other country, it's not worth it to have such expensive knives and skill intensive sharpening methods, someone will fuck it up if you need to make money and hire the few young adults who apply. at home, yeah you should use a stone since you have the time and you're the only one using your knife

>not knapping a fresh obsidian blade before every meal

Veeky Forums has no metallurgists. Colour me shocked. You dipshits go back to your basement lives and just stop trying to matter to other humans.

Lol you fucking tosser

Anybody have that pasta about how much your setup should cost depending on your income? Seems relevant.

>not putting that metal dildo in your ass

amateurs

>Doesn't fold his knives over 9000 times every week

Pleb

King 1000/6000

Good stone for a beginner with some Moras and German kitchen knives?

Very good choice.

not that user, but what about the bester 1.2k/rika 5k combo? got myself some carbon steel knives

>20 minutes
>When you only need 5-6 strokes on each side

Those are good too.

>It takes about two hours

You absolutely suck at sharpening then. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to fully sharpen a gyuto on waterstones.

>Once a week

Kitchen knives do not need to be fully sharpened that frequently. The primary blunting mechanism is cutting board contacts, and that type of wear can be almost totally be removed by touching up the edge on your finishing stone, or with a pasted balsa wood strop.

Honing steels should only be used on softer, German style knives. On modern high hardness kitchen knives, honing rods are likely to cause microscopic apex chipping.

In any case, even on the knives they are usable on, steeling causes a lot of plastic deformation of the apex and thereby weakens it, meaning each time an apex is steeled it will blunt faster than the time before.

>FACT: If you're not in charge of a professional kitchen, you have no right to call yourself a chef
FTFY

Sadly, you won't be able to know which you prefer if you aren't familiar with waterstones. Kings are extremely muddy stones, which I really prefer, but others prefer the less muddy bester/suehiro rika combo.

I'm not a chef, but you sure are a weeb

lol you're ruining your knives, gj OP

I don't care.

i just bought one of these

Ok. What's the verdict

OK for mora
Too fine for German
800 is as high as you need for German
It can't hold an edge and you need the micro serrations

>All German steel is the same
Retard.

This shit is worse than /k/. I didn't think it was possible but the mix of underage and noguns seems to have surpassed /k/nife threads in autism and shityness.

These knife threads aren't very good or informative. Should I buy this shun 10"? I've never held a Japanese style handle before so I don't know what they're like

Lol, you seem to be unaware of the fact that 90%+ of knife owners literally never sharpen any knife they buy, and thus their opinions on knives are totally worthless.

How embarrassing. I forgot the picture

I prefer shorter japanese knives personally. 6-8" size.

But Shun makes good knives, they're large production and thus not going to be SUPER high end personalized blades, but they're nice quality for what you're paying.

Pretty much, yeah. With Japan brands it could be anything from swedish 19c27 to American 52100 to japanese Hitachi blue/white. The customer decides what properties are desirable

Whereas Germany uses x50crmov15 across the board, which is optimized for dumb suburban housewives who never take care of their stuff. The main advantage is if it's used as a crowbar it is less likely to break and the housewife won't complain on Twitter

>9cm Wusthof Classic Paring Knife
amazon.co.uk/WUSTHOF-WU4066-09-Wusthof-Paring/dp/B00005MEGH
>10cm Wusthof Silverpoint paring knife
knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-wusthof-silverpoint-paring-knife-4052-10-cm.htm
>MAC PROFESSIONAL SERIES 8" CHEF'S KNIFE WITH DIMPLES (MTH-80)
macknife.com/products/professional-series-8-chefs-knife-with-dimples-mth-80
>MAC SUPERIOR SERIES 10 1/2" BREAD/ROAST SLICER (SB-105)
macknife.com/collections/superior-series/products/superior-series-10-1-2-bread-roast-slicer-sb-105
>15 cm Kai Shun - Gokujo boning knife
knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-kai-shun-gokujo-boning-knife-15-cm.htm

Building a life-long knife set, these are what I'm looking at and have been recommended for the main ones. Any good?

That's an awful lot to blind buy if you don't know what you like
Why not buy an edge pro and a moderately priced midsize chef knife, use that for a while, and go from there?

Well, it's not blind. I am training as a chef in a kitchen right now. I prefer 8" chefs knives over longer ones, which is why someone recommended me that MAC knife. The only knife there that's blind is the boning knife, I have little experience with them.

I have a honesuki and desu it's totally unnecessary. I can do the same thing with a petty knife

OTOH if you're breaking down chickens all day maybe it's worth it

Yeah, I was thinking that. Wasn't planning on getting it any time soon, just focusing on the main four. Added it anyway. What do you think about shapton ceramic glass stones? 400 grit for sharpening and 800 grit for honing?

They're great. Fast cutters. I'd go with a 2k to finish though

t. buys all his shit precut

About the only thing I buy precut are my chops, big beef/pork cuts.
Chicken, turkey, duck, fish I do myself.

What kind of diamond steel did you use? Was it DMT? What grit?

I'm a beginner and I have one of these, got every blade around me extremely sharp. Took about three tries over several instances to really get the method that felt right for me.

Gonna get a 300 grit for repairing knives and a cleaning stone too, the thing's already gotten pretty grimy and I'll have to clean it before I use it again.

PS mine came a little cracked, make sure if it's getting shipped to your place that you don't do it when it's below freezing outside. I can't imagine it helped.

I just buy chef knifes at the dollar store and throw them out when they get dull

You call yourself a mechanic? I spend 4 hours a day polishing my wrenches with only the finest sperm whale oil using silk cloths.

800 grit is way too low for finishing touches, unless you forgot a zero

I wish I was as cool as you, able to lie to internet people. I just don't have the stones to do it. Pun intended.

OP reminds me of pic related

8000 is unnecessary
4k is already pushing into sperg territory
2k is plenty for those kinds of steels. It will be down to a 2k quality edge after about 2 minutes of use anyway