Is taking culinary classes during highscool and then college a good idea?

Or am I just fucked, because cooking is a passion.

Don't waste the credits. There's nothing you learn there you couldn't learn working in the industry or practising at home that you couldn't also learn in a couple of business classes

I agree OP. Now you have home chefs on shows like chopped and cooks vs cons and any other reality food show. Any idiot now can own a food truck. Google and YouTube are your best friends. Good luck though, if you want to own your own restaurant one day, think very carefully about that shitty road, but if you don't mind working for someone else dreams, just dont get into the hardcore drug scene. Lots of coke and meth are used by some very famous places and chefs. Don't go down that road.

Thank you!

I love this picture. Do you have more?

Like what? with joseph from JJBA? or Zeus from hercules?

Culinary is a meme. Unless you become a world class celebrity chef, your TOP POSSIBLE salary will be what most STEM students make out of school, and Culinary School can cost up to three times as much as college

Highschool yes.
College no unless you just need some random bullshit credit and nothing else seems interesting.

Don't pay to learn. Get paid to learn. Or just do it on your own time without paying anyone if you're that passionate about it i guess..

never do anything you enjoy for a living, it takes all the joy out of it

t. someone who used to enjoy programming

So who of the meme state CS club are you?

wut?

I have a college degree in culinary and have been working in the industry for over 15 years. Yes OP take as many classes as you can. Not only will it look better on your resume but you will learn a lot that will help you later in life.

I love cooking and don't let people tell you that if you really love doing something don't do it as your job. You just need to work hard and find the right place to work at.

If you love working long hours for little pay while making someone else rich, you will love it!

Yeah if you work at some shithole diner or olive garden

This is good advice, listen to this guy

Sure thing, because so many cooking school graduates immediately (or ever) work in a Michelin star restaurant and go on to open their own business. Shut the fuck up when you have nothing intelligent to say. Cooks are dirt poor.

Enjoy working holidays? Evenings? Enjoy never being home with your family just so you can barely scrape by? Be a cook. If you're not a fucking idiot, go into a STEM field.

The hours don't bother me and I make damn good money and own my own house. You are just bitter and a failure at life.

I think i've heard enough

Sure thing. How was your Christmas holidays? Did you go out and party lots? Or did you spend your time with family?

I had thanksgiving, christmas and new years off. We were also closed for the superbowl. Like i said, work hard and find a nice place to work.

If you want to be a burnout drug addict and work at olive garden for $10 and hour then yeah your life is going to be shit.

I love my job. Sure I could make more if i had a STEM degree, or if I was still an electrician, but is it really worth the money to spend 40 or more hours of your life every week doing something you hate?

We can smell how full of shit you are. Also, people in stem fields don't hate their jobs. That would be a common misconception made by people who think math is too hard.

I got you confused with the programer that hats his job.

Whats not to belive? Are you saying that its impossible to make it as a chef?

Beats taking sociology.

Impossible? No? Highly unlikely? Yes. If what you say about yourself is true, then you are the exception, not the rule. People in your field make it about as often as people in my field or similar fields don't make it. Encouraging someone to become a chef is like telling them to spend $50k and 3 years buying scratch tickets.

This is true. When I was in school my chef told us something like only 10% of culinary graduates will still be in the industry after 5 years.

Its hard work and you gotta deal with long hours, insanity, drug addicts and little pay to start, but if you enjoy it its possible to earn decent money.

Best advice I can give to anyone wanting to cook is get a job in a resturant now. Even if you are washing dishes, I started busing tables myself. It will help you decide if this is really what you want.

Also to add the ones that don't make it either had some delusion about being the next gordon ramsay fresh out of culinary school or they get sucked into some sort of substance abuse problem.

I tool them in hs to effectively get another lunch period. Totally worth it and gave a buffer for the ap classes

You go to college to get skills that people will hire you for.
If you spend 10k on cooking classes then go in to engineering you just wasted 10k on some thing you can learn for your self.
Unless you wanna be a cook.