What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on J. Kenji Lopez-Alt?

what are Veeky Forums's thoughts on J. Kenji Lopez-Alt?

Other urls found in this thread:

slice.mit.edu/2017/01/11/alumnus-takes-food-out-of-the-kitchen-and-into-the-lab/
alum.mit.edu/home
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Veeky Forums can't stand him because he's not an obese fast food reviewer and he has a confusing but definitely not white name so we can't figure out which ethnic slur to use. also sometimes he talks about stuff that isn't green bean casserole which makes him a "cuck"

user what do YOU think about him

He's alright I guess. I've used a few of his recipes. Nothing terribly unique, but I trust him more than most internet celebrities.

I cannot respect a man who combines his own surname with that of his wife.

Why should anyone even change their name upon marriage?

It's such a pain in the ass to get your name legally changed and have it updated with every government agency and company that has your name.
And you still have to write down all your previous names used in the last 10 years on any government forms, so it's not like you really changed it.

>My ancesters are smiling at me, Imperials. can you say the same?

Do you have no one to talk to in real life you prick? Take this shit elsewhere.

not changing it is better than fucking hyphenating it. thats shit is gay. what happen when 2 people with hyphenations get married? in 3 generations you have somne long as ridiculous name like an indian (red dot)

boring person on ATK
hind-jews

LOL. had to look that up. thanks for the laugh.

Kenji is a completely insufferable faggot with an extreme leftist bent that bleeds through his messy writing. I guess he's better than all the welfare moms writing insta-cheese recipes out there, but I'd kill for a neutral and educated professional who just worried about food and food only.

I wrote this in another thread; Kenji's basically a millennial America's Test Kitchen (where he used to work but left, likely because Kimball's a twat) who struck gold by being in the right place in the right time--basically, he was able to ride the wave of a cultural and demographic shift towards millennial men wanting to cook. His focus on science and his love of burgers and ramen and shit is the sweet spot for nerdy dudes who have never cooked before, didn't learn from their parents, and need a reliable source of relatively foolproof recipes that will give them the confidence they otherwise lack in the kitchen. Not that their recipes are necessarily perfect--there's a lot misses on the site, but the emphasis on science gives it a veneer of objectivity that let people trust him in a way they wouldn't trust other online sources, given how shitty the recipes on food.com and allrecipes are.

Also, probably by the accident of kenji's personal taste, there's a heavy emphasis on umami flavors, which appeal to a relatively unrefined palate of someone who has heretofore been subsisting on heavily processed food. He's like a less hip, less cheffy David Chang--had the right combination of attributes at the right time.

Oh don't worry, I'll leave plenty of room for mcchicken thread #22091029102

>perfectly good recipe?
>add fish sauce
>bam
>wa la

the site is pretty good but everything he actually writes has to be taken as borderline idiocy. He's completely up his own ass to the max.

but hey, flunk out of MIT and work at an Olive Garden, you too can be an internet celebrity. At least the site producers aren't shit at hiring writers, but he can jump off a cliff

Great when he first came onto Serious Eats; but he is now an insufferable caricature of himself, and SE has been shit for the past 2 years.

i purchased the Serious eats book a I was more interested in the 'Why' of food rather than the 'how'. I'm about 250 pages in and I have to say I've learnt quite a bit of good knowledge about the actual science of food - enoguh to make the book worth its pricetag.

The writing style is annoying but his hearts in the right place. The guy's a chef not a writer and by being a 'nerdy scientist' type, he does come across like as the kind of person who's favourite TV show is the big bang theory

>knowledge about the actual science of food
this is not what serious eats does. it is like a parody of actual science

>The guy's a chef not a writer
he was a line cook at an Olive Garden for like 2 years before getting a wife and living off her money, he's not that either

cool :^)

Entertaining and a useful resource.

Where did you learn he flunked MIT and worked at Olive Garden? In all his interviews he says he graduated and started working at a "fine dining" place?

Also, what do you think of actual celebrity chefs like Mario Batali?

Don't insult the best fast food sandwich

I don't actually know any "nerds" who like BBT, it's a show for normies who think they're being nerdy because they know about Star Wars. It's the Fifty Shades of nerddom.

Too bad bbt nerds are way, way cooler than irl nerds

>line cook at an Olive Garden for like 2 years
>flunked MIT
Source?
MIT just recently recognized him as an alumni in an article. He got an architecture degree, which I know is pretty fucking hard, as I have one myself.

slice.mit.edu/2017/01/11/alumnus-takes-food-out-of-the-kitchen-and-into-the-lab/

I can understand finding him irritating because of his general goofiness and inane twitter ramblings, but you don't need to convince others to not like him by making shit up.

look it up in the alumni directory and post a screencap then.

he won't name the restaurant he worked at but once called it a "fast pasta" place or something similar. add up enough clues and it's clear he worked at a major chain joint, and not a real kitchen. Olive Garden is the easiest solution

Hey man, Occam's Razor. I see an article published by MIT saying he's an architecture alumni, I'm gonna believe it and not go out of my way to prove your theory that he's a dropout. Same goes for the Olive Garden thing; there's lots of little casual neighborhood pasta restaurants in that part of Boston. I think you're just looking at it in a weird conspiratorial way because you don't like his site. It's ok, I find him obnoxious sometimes too, but I don't need to form a theory that everything he does is phony and that his (modest) credentials are just all a big ruse.

>as I have one myself.
alum.mit.edu/home

you could have looked it up in the time it took you to post that.

doubting your story as well to be honest

You could've looked it up, too.

I graduated from the DAAP at UC in 2008. Not MIT. Different state, even. But hey, don't take my word for it, check out my program's directory and you'll see "user" right there. Fucking idiot.

They're fucking obnoxious if you ask me

>liking food that's not tendies is extreme leftist
Never change, NEETs of Veeky Forums