When did cooking shift from being a female pastime to a male pastime...

When did cooking shift from being a female pastime to a male pastime? Disregarding the modern trend that no one cooks and everyone goes out to eat, more men are coming than women it seems. Interesting.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/may/05/why-are-there-so-few-women-chefs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you want to have something done right, do it yourself.

>more men are coming than women it seems

Where are you getting that informaton from?

It seems to me that the first part of your statement is true:

>> the modern trend that no one cooks and everyone goes out to eat

....and that these days, very few men OR women cook much.

If you have any actual data that suggests that more men cook than women these days I'd love to see it.

>When did cooking shift from being a female pastime to a male pastime?
after the year 2117, because we're at least a century away from that.

leave the basement sometime

He gets all his information from the only place he needs to: right here!

So because (around here):
>fast food is cooking, and
>women aren't allowed on the internet lel

Only men cook anymore and all women are shit.

Just look at op! Look at how good of a cook he is. Only a top-tier chef would have the Veeky Forums approved culinary skills to start this thread! I'll bet he's not a socially awkward, sexually repressed loser in the least, no sir-y!!

>more men are coming
can confirm
i cum

>providing basic nourishment for husband and children because your role is a domestic slave
female cook

>understanding and being good at cooking without endless repetition and being trained since birth, your services sought out by the wealthy and powerful
male cook

it was only a female thing during the 50s and 60s and only now as low tier housewives.

name 5 top female chefs that arent just low tier chefs

1. Martha Stewart, everyone loves her
2. Alice Waters, she started the local foods trend
3. that hot British lady? Nagella?
4. hat fat American lady? Paula Deen?
5. That Chinese lady who opened Mandarin's

>Celebrities who happen to make food on camera
>Top tier chefs

Surely you jest.

Nice bait
www.telegraph.co.uk/men/11678061/The-rise-of-the-male-cook-and-why-the-kitchen-is-the-new-shed.html

www.esquire.com/food-drink/a22721/men-cook-more-now-than-ever-15506451/

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2991393/Half-women-admit-man-better-cook-them.html

google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/may/05/why-are-there-so-few-women-chefs

There have always been more male cooks and chefs than women.

Is this story for real?

>telegraph.co.uk
>esquire
>dailymail

My father never cooked a meal in his life that didn't involve meat on a grill. He grew up thinking the only men who cooked beyond that were professionals. Then again he lived at home where his mother cooked for him until he married my mother, who then cooked for him. Mom quit her job before marrying him, and became a mother and housewife for the rest of her life.

I lived on my own for a while as a bachelor, so I learned to cook, and discovered I liked it. When I got married it was to a woman who had a career as well. We decided two incomes were better than one, which meant we had to split the housework. I sure as fuck didn't want to do the laundry or clean the fucking bathroom, so I took over the cooking. If I married a woman who didn't work I'd expect her to be the cook. But I'm more than happy to cook to have two incomes at our disposal.

its partially the ease of eating out or buying reasonably healthy prepared meals at places like trader joes or whole foods.

There is a cultural stigma against women learning to cook by feminists who claim that having basic life skills(cooking, cleaning, basic financial skills) is the patriarchy ruining and oppressing women into servitude.

I know a lot of guys near my age (25) who can cook well and a lot of guys who cant. I barely know any women in the same age range who are any good at cooking.

> 2017
> 3rd Wave Feminists

Can't do what men do today.
Can't do what women did yesterday.

>> 3rd Wave Feminists
>Can't do what men do today.
>Can't do what women did yesterday.

Women were never great chefs famnegro.

Women only cooked at home because it was a way to make themselves useful.

Take a look at Michelin & Zagat rated restaurants.

90% of the world's top chefs are male. Same at it ever was.

I've yet to meet ONE Millennial aged white girl who can cook...

You need to get yourself a nice Asian or Latina honey who still has any skills left.

White girls are good for fucking & tossing.

I only took up cooking because my girlfriend can't cook for shit and being in college put me on a strict budget. Now those constraints are gone, and I'm very glad I learned how to cook properly. It's weird that most of the female cooks I see on social media are bakers.

Honestly I think it just depends on where you live. I live in a small town in Ohio, and my dad was always the cook.

>There is a cultural stigma against women learning to cook by feminists
It's bigger than that. Traditionally women learned to cook by helping their mothers cook. Boomer women rebelled against this, and their daughters didn't have anyone to show them how to cook. The few families where cooking traditions did get passed along the female relatives are all obese now, because people ate much heavier food a couple generations ago (and much more of it because physical work had them burning nearly double the calories we do today).
>I barely know any women in the same age range who are any good at cooking.
Among the people I know in that range the guys do seem to cook more regularly than the girls.

Yeah I certainly agree with you there, thats a big part of it

feminism
men are better at cooking In 2017
what reason does a woman need to learn how to cook?

why do cuckold stories always make me so fucking angry.
They literally make me seethe with rage

Because people who don't fuck often find themselves super invested in the way other people do

Pretty much this. Most young people in general can't cook nowadays because they don't want to put in the effort and people aren't teaching them.

Feminism probably has something to do with it, as you guys have suggested, but I don't think it's the main reason. It has probably added to it a lot, but I think it mostly stems from how cooking changed after WWII. If you look at cookbooks and cooking products from that time, they were mostly geared towards putting in less effort and using more processed goods. During that time, not knowing how to cook traditionally basically became a status symbol. A lot of boomers grew up not knowing how to cook because their mothers were using fancy new recipes that involved things like boxed meals and canned mixes. Then their kids had even fewer cooking skills.

A lot of people that can cook now can do so because they view it at least partially as a hobby and put some effort into it. Most people don't care and still rely on those products if they put any effort into their cooking at all.

>pretty much this
You have to go back.

Because women cant cook for shit they even fuck up during baking shit

I got into cooking because my mom was shit at it.

Because men are better at everything, including making food. Women also have careers now, plus they're generally more lazy so they'd rather have us cook for them because it's easier and tastier.

T. permavirgin

There are still a lot of decent female cooks. Most of them don't really understand why their food is good tho. They just repeat what their mothers thought them.

Serious answer because the cornerstone of civilization is seriously built upon matrimonial contracts of implicit or explicit sexual exclusivity.

It goes beyond time. It is a literal meme, not the joke kind. It's ingrained In EVERYONE'S soul, a concept that everyone intrinsically understands.

In this particular case, you feel repulsed by a news source (which is supposed to be reputable by Nature, in theory) advocating a position that is so far beyond bizarre to the average person that it's laughable...as if it were normal. This worries you for the future of your civilization, as you start to fear that these values when pushed on you, or people you care about, as if they were normal.

Tl,dr: memes are powerful and are not to be trifled with

My mother cooks and bakes much better than my father, but she's always held a more time consuming / prestigious job than him.
He can cook and bake, but hes a tad lazy with it / has pretty shit taste.

My sisters both cook / bake, but they tend to look for shortcuts and just want the meal to be done. (would rather buy pre-breaded chicken than take the 10 min to bread it themselves).
The one who's married does all the cooking, her husband does none of it.

I live with my GF, who works less hours than me and doesn't really commute. But shes fucking lazy and refuses to follow a recipe 90% of the time. So i cook almost all meals because id rather it be done right. Has nothing to do with feminism in our situation at least, shes just fuckin lazy.
Her mother and father never baked anything other than box brownies either, so my background in hand baking pies and cakes with my mother also lends me to do all the work in that department too.

That said, i know plenty of women who cook and bake on a regular basis in/around my age group.

Who really gives a fuck though.

Women are expected to cook for their households and extended families. If any of you have worked in a restaurant kitchen, cooking full-time at work and at home is a nightmare. Women are responsible for a tremendous portion of culinary accomplishment but are ultimately underrepresented in the field because they contribute their labor to their households

It's spelled siree you fucking troglodyte

>A lot of people that can cook now can do so because they view it at least partially as a hobby and put some effort into it.
Partially true. There's also the pragmatic angle. Most folks really like the idea of eating meals that are both tasty and healthy. But if you don't cook that can get really expensive really quickly. I know people who don't cook and they spend an order of magnitude more on food a month than I do. It's more than just a hobby. It can have huge economic and health benefits as well.

>sjw cuck news article
>
Thank god I'll never be a racemixer

>open relationship
>open

That's not a relationship

>women are expected
Do you live in the depths of rural Utah?

Women aren't expected to do anything.

Really? I thought people cooked more than ever because of Food Network and posting their creations on social media

Is cuck the new hip thing kids are doing nowadays?

>he doesn't believe in female empowerment
Way to be on the wrong side of history, Grandpa.

>cooking is now a hobby
is the correct answer to OP
men are always more involved in useless hobbes

Don't reply. "Thinly veiled" troll thread.

Yeah, just realized this now reading this thread, really obvious in retrospect

These kind of bait threads have been 24/7 in /v/ now I guess they're moving to other boards I frequent. Sad!

Because men are way more willing to soapbox about how good they are at something on the internet. There are millions of women who are good cooks who, y'know, just don't talk about it incessantly.

But good luck slaying puss with your one-pot spaghetti, permavirgins.

I recently picked up cooking when I started living alone. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I really enjoy it, and there is a great feeling of satisfaction when you improve.

The modern western woman is a lazy, entitled, useless whore.

>women: "i dont want to cook for x reason"
>men: "well then, im hungry so i will"
>men later: "turns out this can be fun if i apply myself"

Ez

This.

In general, men are better at literally everything except maybe child rearing/clipping coupons.

Plenty of angry cunts in this thread
I cook, all my male friends cook, dad cooks, my uncle cooks. I'm pretty sure I haven't met a single man who doesn't cook
Meanwhile every girl I meet either has no idea how to or there is the single thing she can make
Women are too pampered and men are having fun because for the first time in forever we don't have to go die at some war or some factory

In my case, mom always cooked the day-to-day basic food, and dad would cook (still does) on holidays and special occasions and would do fucking wonders.
I cook almost daily for myself and think that making a tastier, more sort of special type of meal only takes at most 15 more minutes. So I became better and better at it, I guess.

Martha Stewart steals recipes for her books, she can't even make half the shit she shows. She has better cooks making it for her

Aren't most of the top chefs in the world male?

>martha steals recipes

Yeah, may very well be, but every one I've made has come out good. I'm certain she has the dishes set up for the cameras, but her stuff, partcularly baking, is spot on.

most of the best everything are men
best hait stylists? men
best at doing makeup? men
you can look into entirely female dominated jobs and the best is still men

so she is great at hiring other people to make or steal thing for her then
you know, i bet the best at taking credit for someone elses work is female

You have to go back.

Cooking has always been a manly thing.

Cooking is inherently manly

>>providing basic nourishment for husband and children because your role is a domestic slave

>work 20 hours each week at best
>domestic slave

Lol.

Maybe don't use columns as sources

Whore detected.

Another whore detected.

The only people I've met under the age of 25 that cook were raised by single parents.
Parents don't teach their children to cook anymore, male or female. And that's if the grandparents even taught the parents to cook.

Cooking is looking up a recipe on your smartphone and throwing shit in a pan. You're a retard.

>this thread again
Why do millennials like to pretend to be wizened old immortals who have a clue about how things "yousta be"?

Women started working outside the home two generations ago. This is not something new. Whatever your white trash parents failed to teach you, it's got nothing to do with a global jewish conspiracy nor was it invented by the Tumbeler web blog in 2012

>WAAAAAH GO BACK TO /POL/
Gut yourself, whore.

>a website invented a fact I didn't learn about in school
One thing I will say about how things yousta be, we did learn about these things in primary school. You, not so much. Betsy Devos works fast, it seems.

>yousta be
Kill yourself, whore.

An on-topic and constructive reply. As expected from a millennial blessed with the iPad his parents used as a pacifier.

>MUH MILLENIALS
Drown yourself in a sewer, whore.

Is "whore" the new millennial insult for people of all sexes who upset me? Yousta be that we reserved that phrase for women, specifically women of loose virtue. But gender fluidity is the trend now, I guess, so I will not accuse you of assuming anything.

I'm guessing you're a woman, going by your rhetoric. All women are whores.

My "rhetoric" that every child yousta be taught in history books?

You were home schooled, weren't you. The sad fact that these parents don't understand is that schooling isn't just for book knowledge (although they obviously failed you in that department as well). It teaches socialization which, when a child goes without, leads to a crippled adulthood, as we see here with you

>"rhetoric"
Any time, whore. Just drink that glass of wine and grab the knife.

This is some delicious cringe

I thought the millennials preferred to say 'kys'. How do you have the patience to type all those words? Are you medicated now?

Isn't it?

No, we still have the attention span to wish retards death.

I'm the only one of my friends who can cook well. I'm no 3 star chef, but I know my way around a kitchen and can make shit taste good. My girlfriend is ass at cooking. She's lazy as fuck. She complains that whenever she tries to cook that it never turns out as good as when I do it and I tell her cooking is like anything else that requires skill; you gotta practice and fuck it up a lot to become decent. As far as I know my friend's girlfriends are similar to mine in varying degrees with one exception and she's a more traditional type of girl. She's also large.

As far as the male/female dynamic goes, I think it's more of just a natural predisposition of most men to go after something they want. If you want good food and nobody can make it for you, then you find a way to do it yourself. Women have traditionally been provided for and in a lot of ways are still taught that that's the way it should be for them. They essentially wage the war of attrition when it comes to household chores, or at least mine does. She's ok with eating shit prepackaged food and living in a pig sty if it means she can have her face firmly planted in her phone screen for 4 hours at a time. Whereas I'd rather eat good food and have a tidy place to live so I always break first and end up doing most of the cleaning and all of the cooking. Men also take pride in shit too. Prideful women are a rarity.

Niggas don't even know how to make scrambled eggs. It's not hyperbole.

I can do it easily. Whores need to step off and realize they're worthless in our modern life.

I think it happened as agriculture became less labor intensive. It used to be that the men folk would work the fields, and the women would make sure a good meal was ready for lunch and supper. I know that the change happened pre-80's. I used to watch a lot of cooking shows on PBS growing up. It was almost all male hosts. Jeff Smith (the Frugal Chef), Martin Yan, Justin Wilson, Graham Kerr... Really, Julia was the only female host.

This continued into the 90's and food network. We had Emeril, Mario, Bobby, Ming, and Alton. None of the female hosts gained any lasting notoriety. Rachel Ray was really the first break away female host in 2001.Then they started really pushing females. Paula Deen, Ina Garten, Giada...

So in my mind, for at least 40 years, cooking beyond grilling, which has always been man's domain, has been socially acceptable.

I'm sure women's suffrage had an impact as well. With women entering the work place, cooking duties slowly began to reach an equilibrium.

Besides, if you want something cooked right, have a man do it. We take way more pride in it.

Fuck off roastie

What are you 12? Because you have a seventh grade understanding of history. That or you're one of those MGTOW faggots in which case you're just a mysoginist.

Stop pretending you're me.

you might have an intolerance to eggs

that's kind of how it starts

try not eating eggs for a few days and see if it clears up

>just a mysoginist.
Whore detected.

I'm celibate by choice, whore. Now make me a sammich

high 5 bro!

Stop pretending you're me.

Whores need to shut the fuck up;

you ever read a post and just know it was written by a bitter, obese roastie

Cooking shows became competitive which drew the interest of a lot of men.

>DUUUUUURRRRRRRRRR

Do you need some ointment or cream for that?

Is this some new form of trolling? I'm 40. I have stated my experiences. It has been socially acceptable for men to cook for my entire life.

Every part of my post states in some form or another that it is anecdotal. "I think...", "So in my mind...", "I'm sure...".

Maybe you need to get off the internet, and spend some time learning to read critically, kid.