Pickling

I'm new to Veeky Forums so forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question but what things are good for pickling that I can try? I just started my first batch of cucumbers with entry-level spices (dill seed, garlic, peppercorn, mixed spice, chilli flakes) and want to try pickling other stuff. I think okra would be a good one because they are naturally very crunchy. I've always loved pickled eggs too and bars don't generally have them where I live. Can you pickle meat?

So does anyone have any general tips/hints or suggestions for pickling?

>pic related is my first batch

If you're looking for actual cooking advice, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that this isn't the place. This board is where spergs come to talk about fast food while making fun of the Midwest, even though fast food and flyover food is made of the same shit. By the way, you can pickle Ocra and banana peppers with the same solution you're pickling cucumbers in. Pigs feet too

Oooh pigs feet! Do I cook them first? Trotters are fun.

What are banana peppers?

I started a pickle thread a couple weeks ago and it didn't go anywhere either.

I just experimented for the first time with carrots, mini colored bell peppers and snap peas. It's pretty disgusting and I think it's because I used apple cider vinegar. Next time I'm just going to use cucumbers and white vinegar and get a base of something tasty to build from.

You could try doing a fermented pickle - kimchi is an easy one to start with.

Here's the recipe I use for kimchi:

Ingredients:
- 1 large Napa cabbage OR 1 large daikon or Korean radish
- non-iodized salt
- 1 head garlic, finely grated (Microplane works best)
- 1/4 cup Korean red pepper flakes (less for milder kimchi)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Other seasonings as desired: grated ginger, chopped scallions
- 1 gallon glass jar or plastic kimchi container

Weigh the cabbage or radish and set aside 1.5% of its weight in salt. Chop into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle with salt in a large bowl, tossing to mix. Set aside for 30 minutes to let the salt draw out moisture. Meanwhile, combine other ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix into a paste. Add paste to vegetable and mix thoroughly with clean hands. Transfer into fermentation container and leave in a dark place at room temperature for at least a week, longer for a stronger flavor.

I used cider vinegar for pic related althouth I think the ones I bought from the shop yesterday used white wine vinegar - I reckon cider was a bad choice

If you use brine you don't need sealed jar and it will trap gas. Just cover with cloth.
Just use brine.

So is it bad to cover the brine? Will it burst the lid?

Zucchini and radishes are the best next to cucumbers, also be sure never to use iodized salt when pickling

Who here /milkpickle/? It's the best light snack

What is that?

Forgot pic related

Never tried that before. Does it taste anything like tzatziki?

You can use the kimchi paste in bloody marys - tastes great. I've never done it but there's a restaurant near me that does them really well. I think you use it to make a tomato soup and cool it to make the bloody mary mix with the kimchi in it.

Beef stock works too

Peppers, eggs, radishes, lemons, cauliflower, beets, and eggplant can all be pickled with great results.

My aunt used to pickle watermelon rinds in a big tub and eat them, but I never tried it so I can't say if it was good or not.

I doubt it but there's no point in sealing it.
Just need the veggies to be below the surface and put some cloth or similar to stop bugs.
This is for salt brine pickles though.

How do you pickle the lemons? Peel them and pickle them whole or slice them up? Is the sourness of the lemon diminished or do I have to enjoy the taste of raw lemon to enjoy pickled lemon?

I used cider vinegar and salt brine together if it makes a difference

That's revolting

You mean the paste or the fermented brine? The paste just tastes like chili and garlic, but the brine is sour and awesome.

you might have an intolerance to eggs

that's kind of how it starts

try not eating eggs for a few days and see if it clears up

think you replied to the wrong poster m8

No I didn't actually m8

You did in this thread

You can cut them into slices, wedges, dice them, or even pickle them whole, but absolutely do not peel them. The zest is the best part.

The sourness is cut a little by the salt, but mostly it's just... lemony. Very lemony. Goes great in a shitload of stuff.

I think the paste - brine would be good in a BM too though. I've never done it tho

No I didn't actually m8