Root beer thread

Remember that time we had that Kvass thread? Cool anons shared home recipes for slav prison beer.

Does anyone have any traditional recipes for root beer? And that means yeast, Alcohol, and most likely molasses or Cane Sugar. No artificial flavor bullshit.

What do you have?

Cool thread, please survive baby thread

Why can't I see any roots?

I am root
Looks like the stuff next to the booberries when diced

Look up life of Boris on youtube, he does meme filled slav cooking videos

Root beer isn't remotely slav

Not root beer, but i make my own ginger beer. Pretty simple stuff. Just a matter of simmering water with ginger and sugar in it. Then you add in some lemon juice, a little dry active yeast and bottle it. Store it in a warm dark place for a few days and check it so your bottle doesnt blow up. Turns out pretty good.

I imagine rootbeer is more or less the same process with different flavors.

what yeast do you use? Can you draw up a quick procedure? I would be forever grateful.

I'm not talking about root beer, op memitioned kvass

bump for interest

i am also interested, this would make good gifts for friends

i know that we don't use the roots for root beer anymore because it was a carcinogen, and now the flavoring is like burnt caramel or w/e, but it's still cool. i'd like to make alchoholic cola too if possible

You're on the money, just root beer uses stuff that will be harder to source. You'll want to use sarsaparilla root, sassafras bark, and wintergreen leaf, for starters.

>go to make root beer

>DEA knocks on your door

>because it was a carcinogen
No, because they fucking LOADED lab rats with the stuff (the equivalent of drinking multiple gallons of root beer a day, every day) and made an arbitrary judgement on safrole's impact on humans.
And that's for sassafras.. wintergreen, cinnamon, lots of other stuff contains safrole, but they only cared about sassafras for some dumb fucking reason.
You can source the natural stuff if you want to make REAL root beer.

awesome. i mean, i might drink multiple gallons a day, don't test me, but it's good to know the other sources of it

lol god damn it I know exactly what you're talking about, too
I had a chocolate milk nigga from high school contact me because he wanted me to make X for him.
>AYO HOL UP U WUZ GOOD AT CHEMISTRY AND SHEET RITE
>Breaking Bad was just a show, dude..
>STILL FUNNY AS ALWAYS
>AY MAN MEET ME AT THE GROCERY STORE IN AN HOUR

You misunderstood that. He was talking about sources of the allegedly cancer-causing substance, that's in sassafras but it's not the important part. No, these days people use weird bullcrap like artificial flavoring, or specially that places would use sassafras root extract. Which is as close as you can get to manufacturing root beer with the real thing.

>specially that
Specialty*

>No, because they fucking LOADED lab rats with the stuff (the equivalent of drinking multiple gallons of root beer a day, every day) and made an arbitrary judgement on safrole's impact on humans.
I thought the feds were all worked up about sassafras because safrole is a precursor in MDMA synthesis?

Please god, does anyone have any recipes?

I imagine it's not that complicated

Probably not. Anyone into brewing, will want alcohol in the finished product and not a sugary soda drink.

What does root beer taste like?

This is pretty much the only reason.

The result was an Asian species getting deforested to near extinction in order to supply the American illicit drug market.

Praise the government!

A lot of Eurpoeans I've known say it tastes like medicine (usually when explaining why they don't like it). Maybe that'll give you some kind of reference. It's hard to describe, but it's sweet and earthy.

Sure thing. I don't have exact measurements, but I'll do my best.

>1. Fill a pot with 32oz of water. Use anything that is not tap water. Bottled, filtered, spring, ect.

>2. Finely grate about 2" of ginger (no skin).

>3. Add ginger into water and bring to a simmer

>4. Once the water is simmering, add 1/2 cup white sugar and mix to dissolve.

>5. Simmer the ginger/sugar water for 5-10 minutes

>4. Remove the pot from the stove and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.

>5. Wait until the temperature of the water has come down to 80 degrees, freedomheit

>6. Strain the water into a 32oz bottle, or two 16oz bottles. You want your bottle to be pretty full.

>7. Add 1/4 tsp of dry active yeast to the entire mixture. So if you're using two bottles, that's 1/8 tsp each

>8. Cap it and shake it up

>9. Store the bottle somewhere dark and warm. The temperature should be around 70-80. If it's colder, it won't hurt anything, but the fermentation process will take longer

>10. Give your bottle a squeeze once or twice a day. Don't uncap it. Just feel the bottle to see how much carbonation has been produced. This is pretty variable. It could take 1-3 days before you notice any change. Also, your bottle will likely get cloudy on bottom and have some gunk around the top

>11. Once the bottle is nice and tight, you can strain/decant it into a final bottle. You will want to store this in the fridge to slow the fermentation process, but be sure to relieve the pressure at least weekly or your bottle could pop.

It will take some trial and error to get the ginger/lemon ratio where you like it. I use dry active yeast because I always have it lying around. You could use other kinds of yeast and see how they work.

Sassafras has an earthy taste to it. Kind of like a sweeter ginger. Mixed with sugar is takes on a kind of vanilla/anise/ginger flavor.

you're doing gods work user

also, im assuming the 32 oz bottle is glass correct?

Yeah? Traditional root beer is alcoholic.
Thus the name?
Mentioned it in the OP.

"Kiss your sassafras" is my favorite Aerosmith lyric

Does Europe even sell rootbeer? My boyfriend from Poland has never even heard of it until he came to the U.S. and he fucking loved it.

Thank you user.

Don't use glass bottles for the fermenting process. You can store the ginger beer in glass bottles, but you want to use a plastic bottle for it to build carbonation in. That way you can squeeze the bottle and know how carbonated it is. People have had glass bottles shatter on them because they let their drink ferment too long. Once you have done this enough to consistently get the same amount of carbonation, you could probably start using glass throughout the entire process.

That's completely true, with the carcinogen story being their excuse. However, the problem is it's not just fucking sassafras that has safrole in it.
You can get non-safrolated sassafras oil, but things like wintergreen, cinnamon, etc, etc, all kinds of roots and things are unaffected.

wine jug/moon shine jug+ balloon/air lock for fermenting after its done fermenting you add more sugar in whats known as priming which causes carbonation in wtv sealed bottle

making booze/soda with less than 1 gallon/4L is retarded

Why does this keep happening
Why are good things banned for stupid shit

Zatarain's sells Root Beer Extract so you can skip that stuff.

>STILL FUNNY AS ALWAYS. MEET ME AT THE STORE IN AN HOUR.

heh