Thinking of getting an immersion blender for soups, sauces, and whatnot

Thinking of getting an immersion blender for soups, sauces, and whatnot.

What else do you use your immersion blenders for?

Feels great up the ass, but I'm sure you already know that.

Make some good mashed potatoes with it.

Fingers.

Eggs, batter

I use mine mostly for creamed soups. They're also handy at saving a lumpy gravy. They're not as powerful as a blender so don't expect silky smoothies out of them.

How about for hummus or a pesto?

I got one and don't really use it. Didn't really use a blender or food processor much before-hand so if you don't now you probably won't when you get one

Works decently, but as said the texture is not perfect.

I was making blueberry wine and had to mash the blueberries with a potato masher. this probably would have been better

Scare my cat with it.
Kind of like when I chase her with the vacuum nozzle.

homemade mayo
youtube.com/watch?v=-oMV7t1Ynj0

but after buying it specifically for this, i quickly got bored with mayo and stopped using it.

You mean blended. Mashed is a completely different technique. But I'm sure you knew that.

Mayo and soup. They're cheap and handy. Consider it an investment into adulthood you gutter rat. Just get one.

Get a decent one, 500+ watt, weaker ones tend to break down.
I use mine for soups, sauces, smoothies, mayonnaise, hummus, choppin' onions and garlic etc.
It's a great tool.

>choppin' onions and garlic
????

if you want really small, paste like consistency for onions and garlic it works.

They scratched the fuck out of my pans.
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I thought I was being fairly gentle with the blender.

I used mine the other day to foam eggs for quiche and made mayo. I make mayo in a widemouth pint ball jar and it's convenient to not have to dirty any dishes.

mate how did you scratch your wares with them when they have edge guards built into it

pretty much any blending job, since I dont have a big one.

smoothies
mayonaise
black bean paste
hummus
soups

My guess is that he has an immersion blender with a metal guard, and the guard itself is what scratched the pan.

They're super convenient since you can blend in the same pot that you're cooking the food in. Or if you're making a beverage then you can blend it right in the serving cup.

OTOH they don't produce as fine a texture as a proper blender does. If I want to make a really smooth sauce or pureed soup I still use my countertop blender.

I have one, it's not great.
it's awful for smoothies because I don't have any glasses wide enough for it so I might as well use a real blender for those.
they also make potatoes way too smooth, it's real bad
the only thing they're good for is pureeing potatoes/squash/whatever for soups

>it's awful for smoothies because I don't have any glasses wide enough for it so I might as well use a real blender for those.

That's not a problem with the blender, that's a problem with your cup.

>they also make potatoes way too smooth, it's real bad

Pulse it bro, you don't have to run it balls-to-the-wall.

protein shakes

I make homemade dressings. Worth it desu

Get one these op

Not a bad idea. As with any other cooking tool the commercial stuff kicks the crap out of the "homeowner" brands.

I use mine to blend my wife's sons food up. He's only 8 months old

Thats nice of you how long have you been married?

4 years. He's our first and planning another in 2018.

I use it for "whipping" cream and for blending cocoa drinks.

Soups go in the blender though.

Roommate used mine to unclog the toiler without permission. At least he told me before I used it again.

Worked pretty well though.