/bvg/ Beverages General

Coffee is technology. Tea is technology. If it can help your startup sieze just 1% of the market, it belongs here.

Post your brew and brewing technology here.

i got this little nigga behind my setup

espressofag here
slightly modified slivia with a macap grinder

There are regular Coffee and Tea threads over on

Just needs the right amount of autism. What measurement instruments do you use, /bvg/?

I prefer functionality over rice

Post setups!

startup aren't technology, faggot

autism

Woah hold your hate for progress there, you a wood dwelling communist

Barzata Virtuoso grinder
Bonavita electric temperarure controlled goose-neck kettle
10-cup Chemex
Unbleached filters
0.1g precision electric scale
Pur filtered water
Fresh, locally roasted whole coffee beans.

wow I was really confused for a moment here then I realized it was moved from /g/

WTF

Moving threads is a thing now? When did this start happening??

When /trash/ was created

When /g/ mods started getting vaccinated and got autism

I brew using a chemex and aero depending on the situation. I don't have a kettle yet though, is it worth it?

What's the point of chemex when I can get the same result from hot water and a funnel?

There isn't much. The real point of it is the filters I believe. The brewer just does the job and looks nice doing it.

Family gifted me this because after a while like or swearing off of it i finally took liking to coffee over there last year. Though it's mainly been liking to the Vietnamese coffee from a bahn mi shop at the corner, the flavour of which I've been unable to replicate with the machine yet. Still, it got me to having a cup every morning now (strongly sweetened and diluted with condensed and regular milk respectively).

What does Veeky Forums think of k-cup brewers?

Meant to say after a whole life.

>phoneposting

I think I had the original model (mk.2) and it performed very well for several years

moved, got the newer model with the caraffe, much bigger. It has developed mechanical problems within 4 months and is now bricked

I plan on doing this eventually. Just got my French press and a temp programmable kettle. I'm going to check it for accuracy when I find my candy thermometer.

Since I'm new at this I was wondering a few things.
1) does filtered water make a difference?
2) Veeky Forums approved links/vids/reading material?
3) anything you anons do personally that you think would be helpful
4) a place that is good to buy coffee online
And last, I'm looking for a tasty medium roast.

Hope I wasn't to greedy with my questions, thanks.

I've been hated on for mine but it's convenient af and can make a good cup of coffee that doesn't require cream and sugar. It's what really got me into coffee and why I took the next step and got

>coffeepot on the floor

Guess who lives alone?

Like said, when they made /trash/. But usually any thread that gets moved is moved to /trash/, even if it could fit on another board. I've never seen the mods move a thread from one normal board to another like this.

This is what I use. I got the gooseneck kettle off ebay recently, and I really enjoy it.

Also sorry about the fancy ass picture.

It depends. Strictly speaking you can get away with a non gooseneck kettle for Chemex if you have a steady hand, and you don't really need one for Aeropress at all, so really I would go for something with electric temperature controll and not worry about the neck type, in your case.

It's convenient to be able to see exactly what temp your water is at.

The filters. Chemex filters are more forgiving to use than other types of pour overs and the filters also enable brewing large volumes at once compared to most other pour overs.

1) Yes.

2) Google "French press recipe"

3) Water to coffee ratio should be between 15:1 and 17:1, water should go in to the French press around 208-210f (to account for the temp drop from the grounds, you want th slurry to stay between 205f and 195f for the whole process), get a proper burr grinder so you get even consistent grinds, press at ~3:30 and finishing pressing by ~4:00

4) Find a LOCAL roaster if you can. Beans are at their best 3-14 days from roasting for most brewing methods.

22 posts in and no one has posted their setup including a roaster. Fucking pleb tier shit up in this bitch.

nice chemex's yall, but you are using shit quality beans and are making shit quality coffee.

Countdown - less than an hour until someone makes a stupid joke about popcorn roasters making subquality roasts.

get sum.

Jesus christ man.

My parents have one. When I go to visit them, I have a coffee out of there. My dad has little refillable pods, so we use our own coffee. Honestly I expected it to be a lot worse than it is. Certainly not great, but I wouldn't turn it down, and it sure is convenient.

Why do people worry so much about exact temperature and exact weight of beans before grinding?

I even saw a guy pre-measuring and freezing test tubes full of beans.
It doesn't make THAT much of a difference.

Can anyone recommend me a good french press? I want my coffee autism to be as strong as my tea autism.

any bodum press is fine, target regularly sells their caffettiera and brasil model for $15

ikea also sells one for $8, but the metal filter is slightly shittier

I really like the Bodum brand.

My french press autism gets seriously triggered by any cheap knock-offs made of metal, or where the lid doesn't have a solid spot that fully covers the spout to keep all the heat in for brewing, and another spot on the opposite side with slits that fully cover the spout and acts as a filter for pouring... also cheap metal plunger parts like the mesh that get all warped and fucked up with regular use, or have needless details that are hard to get clean.. Fucking IKEA...

I can't unscrew the press assembly on my bodum anymore because the plastic ball on top has no grip on the metal shaft. I I want to wash the filter itself, I need a pair of pliers to get at it.

Also, it's clearly not designed to be washed every single day, the water quickly makes it's way between the glass and metal and leaves ugly hard water stains that never go away, even if you dry it right away.

I can't imagine how nasty the chrome plated chambord would look when used and washed twice daily.

Never really had this issue on the ikea because it's just 2 pieces and plastic doesn't really stain.

I use a french press and love it.

But a couple days ago I bought a stovetop expresso deal, just for a change.
I tried it out yesterday morning and just made a big mess. The coffee turned out fine, I guess.. I was stupid and tried a new "expresso blend" that ended up tasting like cigarette butts, and I ground it too much.. I also have no fucking clue how you're supposed to know when it's finished. I just took it off when the top was full, but every time I checked before that it would splatter out at me all over the stove. Then when I went to pour it out it fucking leaked down the sides all over the table.
And of course it was so gross I ended up pouring it down the drain after a couple sips and just making my regular brew with my french press because it was too early in the morning and I was far too uncaffeinated to put up with any more of that shit.

I'm hoping I get the hang of it when I decide to try again with my regular delicious blend.

When discussing subjective stuff with a lot of variables, like "I like coffee XYZ" or "I hate coffee XYZ" it sometimes helps to describe ratios and brew times. Then others who know the coffee can go like "oh, nah, you should use hotter water because it is a lighter roast" or some such thing. That's why the numbers used to get posted on internet sites concerning coffee.

On the other hand lately, it seems a lot of millennials have moved away from Maxwell House and are exploring "real coffee" for the first time in their lives. Like with any hobby they overcompensate for their noobitude and go crazy with "I never drink blends" or "I only drink coffee if it's less than 3 days old or I throw it in the TRASH where it BELONGS" or "muh 16.666666666666:1 ratio" or "muh 197.3479 temperature". They do this, mostly, because think it will make them sound like a coffee authority that they read about online once.

It makes a difference, yes, but if you're measuring grams for your daily cup, that's more about lack of experience, rather than diligence.

I never tightened it so much to have that problem. I just hold the metal bar and twirl the assembly off with my finger in the bottom part.
I usually just rinse it off every day a few hours after I use it. I'll only wash it around once a month.
My handle is very simple and held on with just two metal strips, and occasionally I'll slide it off and give everything a good (delicate, I've shattered one before and cut my knuckles up) scrub.

I don't really care about water stains. I've never noticed anything like that affecting the taste.
I'm more concerned with the coffee residue build up on the filter, but that comes off really easy once a month.

>he doesn't drink amphetaminewater

Because making coffee is basically a matter of simple chemistry where you want to extract SOME flavors in SOME quantity form the coffee but AVOID extracting others.

When dissolving soluble compounds into a liquid, the main ways you can control how much of which soluble compounds you extract is by varying grind size, grind consistency, water temperature, water to coffee ratio, blooming and water to coffee contact time.

Thus people can develop recipes that give them repeatable results where the coffee does not come out under-extracted or over-extracted.

1. Yes
2 colombe has useful YouTube vids on french press and cold brew on the French press
3. I add a paper filter to the over the mesh to remove some oils
4. I buy my coffee local. Can't help there.

Sup, lads. I'm a French press and moka pot enthusiast. Recently started going out with a girl who loves coffee. I've made her coffee on my press and made some flat whites for her using my moka pot. She's loves them. last weekend I finally was allowed to bone her and I stayed the night. the next morning she made coffee on one of these. It was awful. Is it just the nature of how coffee is brewed or is she doing something wrong?

Percolators literally reboil coffee and force it back through the grinds for multiple infusions.

I don't understand why they're still sold, they singlehanded held back coffee culture in the US for an entire generation because everyone grew up to believe that all coffee is bitter and shit and you need milk and sugar to cut the taste.

the 'za or the box it comes in?

Is there anything in practice she can do to make it better?
I'm considering getting her a moka pot. Brikka maybe.

Just get her a french press a kettle, they're idiot proof.

5€ 0.1g Chinese scale master race report in

Same kind as my home! It does a good job. I'm no blend expert, but I just know I like coffee that has a smooth, lightly acidic taste while also being robust. Usually I dress mine with a spoon of brown sugar and stir in cream and a drop of vanilla.