Other urls found in this thread:

howtobrew.com/book/introduction
amazon.com/True-Brew-Porter-Ingredient-GALLON/dp/B003SSDIXM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

does brewing coffee count

Dam son is dat sum jenkem???

No.
>1/10 made me respond

Thoughts on the recipes released by the White House? I've never brewed before and want to get into it. Honey ales are my favorite.

that looks like jenkem, bro

forgot pic

They're definitely legit. If you like honey beers, you'd like both.

1st recipe info is kind of sparse. Doesn't have hop addition timings for the kent goldings + fuggles, so not really sure what IBU you're aiming for. Not sure why there is gypsum in there, that's used for altering water chemistry (makes soft water harder), which only really matters if you're doing all-grain and mashing, which you wouldn't be. You can probably ignore it, especially if you already have hard water.

2nd one makes more sense since it tells you 10 "HBU", though that's sort of an uncommon term. Apparently...
>"Homebrew bittering units". Multiply AA% by amount ex: 2 oz of 5% AA = 10 HBU.
So you'd use 1oz of 10%AA or or 2oz of 5%AA hops at 60 min. Then since the hallertau is "Aroma hops" you'd put that in in last couple minutes of the boil.

Anyway sure go for it, but would recommend using the process for extract brewing from this book: howtobrew.com/book/introduction

Need help with troubleshooting a beer. 1st time brewing. Got to do an extract beer(bsg porter). 2 week fermentation, followed by 2 week bottle conditioning. Tried the beer yesterday and it did not taste like anything. No roasted maltiness, no bitterness. It has only the faintest flavor and the body is very thin. Its basically water. What could be the problem?

STOP MAKING THESE THREADS YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT

WE ARE ALL ALCOHOLICS STRUGGLING WITH CONSTANT ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION

NONE OF US HAVE THE AUTISTIC WHEREWITHAL TO BREW OUR OWN BEER YOU DUMB FUCK

GO TO A REAL BOARD

Not trying to be a dick, but there isn't enough information there to help you troubleshoot. What kind of malt and yeast did you use? What was the fermentation temperature?
The only thing I can say based on your post is that it probably didn't have enough time in the fermentor before you bottled it.

And you, you can just fuck right off. I mask my alcoholism by being a brewer.

Post the recipe you used. amounts of extract, amount of water, steeping grains, hop amount and timing. Sounds like you just didn't put enough shit in it for the amount of water you used.

I brewed this sake recently which I thought came out really clean tasting. I went the full deal and bought aspergillus oryzae and incubated it for 48 hours at @86F with a shortgrain rice. Been brewing all grain beer, wine and mead for 6 years, but for some reason this sake brewing has really got my attention right now.

>Being so retarded and lazy you can't put yeast into a sterile bottle with malt, grain and water and wait

"Autistic wherewithal" my fucking ass you retards treat anything with more effort than your fucking tendies as some sperglord superscience only an Asian or someone who spends all day on Veeky Forums could understand.

Use fucking Google.

No problem. This was the exact kit. amazon.com/True-Brew-Porter-Ingredient-GALLON/dp/B003SSDIXM

It had crushed chocolate malt for steeping, unhopped malt extract, dried malt extract, maltodextrin.

I didnt control the fermentation temp but the temp in the house never exceeded 73 F and never went below 55.

I did hit my original gravity (1.043) as well as my final gravity(1.013).

The yeast was the one that came in the kit.

The water was 3.5 gallons. Steep specialty grain for 15 min @ 155F. Then bring to boil shut off heat and adding all the fermentables (except the priming sugar). Bring back to boil and add the hop pellets. 60 minute boil. Chilled in an ice bucket. Transfered (straining with a sanitized strainer to sanitized fermentation bucket.

Pitched yeast packet at 70F. Filled air lock 1/2 with sanitizer solution.

Allowed 2weeks until i hit final gravity.

Sanitized all equipment
Boiled water and added priming sugar. Allowed to cool. Added to bottle bucket auto siphoned beer to the bottle bucket. Bottled. 2 weeks to carb the beer.

Forgot to add that i topped of the water to the 5 gallon mark beefore adding the yeast.

It sounds to me like you did everything right, the only thing I can say is that it's possible the malts were old.
At the risk of sounding obvious, is it possible that that's what it's supposed to take like?

Also another question, you did grind the steeping grains, right?

I thought that may have been the case since i usually drink teally heavy beers but i let a couple of non dark beer drinkers to try it and they said it had no discernible taste.

I could taste some roasted biscuity taste but it was only a whisper if i tried to concentrate ton picking up any other flavours it would vanish. And the mouth feel was like water.

The bag came vaccum sealed with the grains already crushed.

When i steeped them i got excited because of the malty roasted aroma.

Another thing, there's only about 4 lbs of extract total for that recipe, that seems kind of light for a dark beer. My pale ales usually start around 1.050.
I feel like a porter should have a much larger grain bill

1.013 is normal for a porter, but kind of on the high side for beer in general. If that's an accurate reading, i'm not sure how a beer like that could be considered thin or watery, should be pretty sweet... that plus the maltodextrin seems like it should be pretty full-bodied. So i'm stumped there, might just be your perception.

If not enough flavor from the roasted malt, maybe you could use a bit more of it and also steep it longer. Palmer says to steep for 30 min, so that's what I'd do. Also agitate the steeping grains as it goes.

If not enough bitterness for you, you could have used more hops (or higher Alpha Acid hops) at the start of the boil. But the description on amazon says "not bitter" so I think it's probably just low bitterness by the recipe's design. Also since you didn't put any hops in at the end of the boil, there was no hop aroma/flavor, so the only hop characteristic you'll get is bitterness.

Anyway your process sounds fine aside from maybe not steeping the grains long enough.

also yeah this, though I expect they would come pre-milled in a kit like this

ah yeah this too, 1.043 seems a little low. You're looking at just under 4% ABV if the FG was 1.013.

Also I was wrong, 1.013 is a pretty average FG, I've just been making dry beers lately i guess.

Basically sounds like you were looking for a big beer but made a recipe for a small beer. Next time find a recipe online w/ more of the stats you're looking for and order the ingredients separately.

The beer was a low abv coming in at around 4%

It could be my perception since i drink full bodied stouts. But when other people started describing the beer as watery I became concerned. Didnt get sweetness either. The best i could describe the flavor is taking a teaspoon of roasted coffee then mixing it with a gallon of water.

Im probably going to just end up building a mash tun so i can go all grain.

All grain is the way to go, just remember aside from the mash tun you gotta be able to boil the full ~6 gallons of wort, not a half-boil like extract. I had to move my brewing outside & use a propane burner since my shitty electric stove was not up to the task.

I got a 15 gallon SS pot that i use. And a propane burner. I just need to build a mash tun (probably from the coleman xtreme and a wort chiller.

Then if i really get into it i will probably buy a new fridge and convert my old one into a fermentation chamber.

What do you guys use for sterilizing your carboys? I have two 1 gallon glass jugs I need to clean properly before my first batch.

What is an effective Sake brewing process?

Here is the full recipe for the Honey Ale, does it make any more sense now?

Good sanitizing solution:
1 tablespoon of bleach per 1 gallon of water and let sit for 20 minutes. Then rinse with preboiled water

Just tried my latest brew today.
I think I carbonated it too much as opening a bottle just creates endless foam.

what the fuck is wrong with you OP I mean srsly why nigger-rigged an airlock jesus christ

that aint stout porter or etc just say its jenkem senpai

Star-San. There's cheaper solutions that work, but Star san is EZ, you can just spray it on stuff or swish it around a carboy, and no need to rinse.

Yeah, makes sense now, the recipe is fine. I guess the gypsum is probably because they're starting from distilled water or something? If you use regular tap water, which is fine, skip the gypsum. You can also skip the 'secondary fermenter' - just leave it longer than 7 days in the primary. Give it like 3 weeks in your bucket/carboy, then rack to the bottling bucket and bottle.

Open a second bottle. If it's the same, maybe put it all in the fridge to stop it from getting any more carbonated (or exploding)

It's been consitent across all beers that have been opened and they were all pretty cold.

that's a blowoff tube you fucking retard

Maybe, or you ended up getting wild yeast in there somewhere along the line.
Or it's way too warm where you are bottle conditioning it.