How do I make my potatoes crispy?

How do I make my potatoes crispy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vzyzlkouXsM
youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY
seriouseats.com/2016/12/the-food-lab-the-best-roast-potatoes-ever.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fully bake your potatoes the day before, then chill them. Cut then up while they are cold and fry in butter. That's what I do.
Or you can follow this, which is more difficult:
youtube.com/watch?v=vzyzlkouXsM

time,fat and patience
also you definitely have to cook them in water with a teaspoon of baking powder added (to increase surface area on the potatoes) and rough them up before roasting/searing (toss roughly with fat+a spoon in the bowl)

Bake before cutting them up, medium-high heat, plenty of oil, don't overload your pan.

Soak in salt water

This. What I do is I fully cook them in the oven them sort of sear (english isn't my main language sorry) them.
Also use lard, however disgusting it may seem at first.

parcook is good.
dry is key.
Here's Raymond blancs sauted potato.
youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY

Soak in ice water at least 1 hour before. Dry completely. As other anons said, don't crowd otherwise you'll be steaming.

cube them, then blanch them in boiling water for a bit, then drain them in a strainer. shake them up a bunch so the edges get all roughed up and mashy. then pan-fry them in oil.

I par cook mine in the microwave the night beforehand. Chill down. Slice cold.
Cook in cast iron or nonstick (heavy bottomed), but I pretty much leave them alone until a crush forms, and then I flip them. I don't toss them around like I'm sauteeing them. Patience, too.

Sometimes I just prefer oven fries, they get more golden without all the fuss. I toss raw potatoes in olive oil, salt, pepper and maybe some herbs and then, just pour into a baking dish until golden browned (skin on of course).

OIL
I
L

Parboil, drain and cool, oil, single layer so you don't crowd the pan, and I cheat somewhat with paprika for additional color and crust.

chop em to what ever size. put olive oil and seasonings of choice into a large bowl. toss potatoes until thoroughly coated. spread evenly on baking sheet. bake.

This.

You need to remove the moisture to allow them to crisp.

Deep fat fryer. I never bought one though so don't ask my opinion on which one to buy

I chop them up to cubes, par boil, cool down on their own after draining, dry out, toss with olive oil and and butter mixed with seasonings of whatever type, bake at 400 until golden and crispy and give a few mixes and bake more until the other parts are crispy and take out.

Also, if you chop them up before boiling them, do NOT add salt to the water as they absorb it all at this point and can make them inedible if you use even a pinch too much salt in the water.

You could pre boil them in a salt/baking soda solution beforehand, then toss them in oil for a sort of mashed potato coating like in this video:

seriouseats.com/2016/12/the-food-lab-the-best-roast-potatoes-ever.html

I did it before like in the video and they are legit crispy and the best way I've done non-mashed potatoes so far. If I did it again, I'd make larger, wedge or disc style cuts for ease in flipping. You probably don't need to do the infuse oil/herb tossing at the end part and could just spice it the way you like while tossing it in oil after boiling.

I tried freezing the boiled tossed potatoes, then frying them, but that made them way too greasy and I just ate a half batch before throwing the rest out. I wanna try just pan frying the wedges with no oil but the oil in the mashed potato coating since they're already fully cooked and soft after boiling.

And careful on the salt, I eyeballed it without tasting and fucked my shit up.

This. If you don't chop them up before you boil and leave them whole, the salt will form a crust on just the skin and will not enter the "meat" of the potato. (think NY salt potatoes style) but if you cut them up and boil in salt, it will all be in the potato and make it inedible if you use even slightly too much at all.

>everyone is upset with over seasoning
5% solution. 50grams salt /Liter of water.
Good for all vegetable cooking.

95% of posts in this thread are pretensious dick heads, you're not chefs you daft cunts.

Back to the fast food thread, retard

But unlike you, we told OP how we make crispy potatoes and didn't post some worthless sack of shit reply.

He can google, acting like OP is a retard and you're his only hope Obi Wan. Most of the replies are just copy/paste bullshit

The easiest way is to just make sure your taters have a rough surface before frying or roasting. Do this by aggressively shaking them in a collander or roughly tossing them with a fork.

None of my 7 replies were copy/paste and were made off real life experience.

>replies are just copy/paste bullshit
Crispy potatoes are a "solved problem" it makes sense that most replies are copy/paste.

I didn't mean to offend you, I may of been to hasty in ridiculing the whole thread it was just the style of writing used was really passive aggressive. I really didn't mean to offend you.
You are a cunt

You could tell I was making up the 7 reply part if you checked bottom right on your browser for the thread when I had posted that. So yeah, pretty much a cunt.

I literally couldn't give a fuck. I just thought that some people were getting above their station in life in googling how to guides for lazy people.

Some want real life answers from live people and not 8 year old google answers from expired people

Have sautéed potatoes changed that much in eight years? Hell, techniques from 100 years ago are still relevant.

They have not but some people crave real live answering. I don't understand all the fast food stuff though on here.

And you're not a cunt for thinking you need to put a stop to this "heinous practice"?

You really read the tips people were giving in this thread and thought "what the fuck these people are way outta line? Better get in there and show em how things are around here"?

TL;DR You're the faggot.

It's here cause that is the mentality of most, if anyone wanted serious advice they'd go to google or any of the millions of food blogs and forums.

salty af

If McChicken and arguing over pizza and Taco Bell or Jack and ReviewBrah are the mentality of people now a days, why should I stick around in this life? They say birth marks are how you died in your past life. I have one on my calf. Some how if this is true, a calf wound killed me in my past life. Nothing can be worse than that sorry ass shit.

If you are basing your life on Veeky Forums then maybe you need to speak to a professional.

wash out the starch
blanch fry
deep fry

It said mentality of most. Not mentality of Veeky Forums.

>Starts bitching about people's advice for no reason.
>Wants to make sure people aren't "getting above their station in life" by posting tips about making crispy potatoes.
So you're not the one being salty here? You do this for fun?

>So you're not the one being salty here?
No
You do this for fun?
Yeah, it filled an hour in whilst watching tv

Maybe we'll both have friends 1 day

Most important rules for crispy, fried potatos: put them in the pan (cast iron/rolled steel), not too much so pan isn't crowded, with enough oil, medium heat, then LEAVE THEM THE FUCK ALONE. Don't keep stirring them all the time, they are not a stir fry.

This. It leaches liquid out of the potatoes so they have a lower moisture content.

Make fondant potatoes for the ultimate crisp/fluffy balance.
Or do what an old irish lady taught me once;
Parboil, let cool
Bake, let cool,
Deep fry, season

This makes the best goddamn chips I've ever eaten
Consider the variety you are using, the dryness varies massively.

Why the fuck is there a problem with discussing FOOD on a FOOD DISCUSSION board?

You're blowing my mind here.

what is this board for but the discussion of cooking?
If you're going to rule out talking about anything you can google then why are you on this site?

Simmer them for ten minutes, drain, put a lid on the pot and bounce it around until they're all kinda fucked up and fluffy on the outside, then roll them on a tray with a thin coating of hot goose/duck/whatever fat in the oven.

Gotta fluff that shit up.

>goose/duck/whatever fat
Spotted the pretentious retard
Just use butter, OP

Niggle this is a food and cooking board, the gent instructed our friend to use duck or goose fat, which are excellent for potatoes and add a depth of flavour that butter would not. If cooking well is a bit pretentious, consider a more tendie friendly board, such as /r9k/

Jesus fuck, I can't stand the way he ends every sentence like a question. And that crunching at the end was pure ear rape.

It's a matter of taste. Use butter if you must, (but it burns at too low a temperature, so I'd use another oil instead) - it's fucking the potatoes up by bashing them around that makes it work.

Blanche them, soak them in ice water, then fry them in med-hot oil (~6 on your stove setting). Don't rush the cooking process.

I hated it at first, but it's hypnotizing