I'm looking at getting an electric kettle mainly for tea. Any recommendations?

I'm looking at getting an electric kettle mainly for tea. Any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

target.com/p/aroma-7-cup-electric-water-kettle-black/-/A-14263709
target.com/p/-/A-13795316
amazon.com/Bonavita-BV382510V-Electric-Gooseneck-Temperature/dp/B005YR0F40
restaurantsupply.com/winco-jb2932
amazon.com/Breville-SK500XL-Cordless-1-7-Liter-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000A790X6/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1486863425&sr=1-1&keywords=breville electric kettle
youtu.be/Z0Bk4lJWBe8
tesco.
dilmahtea.co.uk/facts-of-tea/facts_of_tea_05_why_should_one_never_reboil_water_when_brewing_tea/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stainless steel. Don't fall for the 600 kettle meme. Anything will do.

Anything will do, and yes you need an electric kettle if you want some good tea. Exact temperature is crucial.

>Exact temperature is crucial.

Stick to tea bags, pleb.

>tea
Back to your rice paddy Chang

Its just water friend

Get a rapid boil kettle otherwise you will be waiting 5 minutes for a single cup of water.

missing the point of tea, the post

If you have a Ross in your area, I found an Aroma stainless steel one that I've been using for years. Only cost me $15 I think, maybe $20. Just finished some tea.

It's a heating element in a jug
Literally anything will do
Buy the cheapest thing you see

enjoy waiting 3 hours for your water to boil on your shitty inferior electrical power infrastructure

Enjoy dying every time you accidentally touch a wire.

DO NOT get a plastic one ESPECIALLY one that isn't BPA free. It'll bleed chemicals into your water, not even a 'conspiracy theory'.

fortunately people in my country are mostly non retarded so we don't die to touching wires a lot

unlike america lel

At least 10 people die each year in the UK from electrocution.

>I'm looking at getting an electric kettle mainly for tea. Any recommendations?
If I was buying for myself, it'd be a cordless kettle, and it'd be for entertaining reasons, like to get peeps out of the kitchen and away from me when I'm cooking. The kind with the charger base then would be ideal for me. Also I live on the ocean, and my outside table is kind of the breakfast area, so it allows people to do hot cocoa, tea, even instant oatmeal without going back inside. Good for when the whole family is staying over.

If it were me, even with a 3 cup habit? I wouldn't be using a kettle. I'd use a microwave, and if I needed more than a mug at a time, I choose the right pyrex measuring cup for the job.

Don't buy this:
target.com/p/aroma-7-cup-electric-water-kettle-black/-/A-14263709

The lid doesn't seal properly, so it doesn't automatically shut off when it has reached boiling temperature. It will literally boil all the water away.

Buy this, instead:
target.com/p/-/A-13795316

Has a proper seal, works for years, and it looks cool.

If you're doing any kind of tea that isn't black or herbal, boiling is too hot and will produce bad tea.

If you aren't a window-licker you can wait three minutes for the boiled water to cool down, you sperg.

But why bother with that and having to measure the temperature to make sure it's right when you can just buy an electric kettle with temp control?

Because a plain kettle is $20 and a temperature control kettle is $150

Also you don't need to measure the temperature and make sure more than once in your entire lifetime, experience will tell you how long it takes for a boiled kettle to cool
Fuck you can even turn the kettle off before it boils, just listen to the damned thing and take it off when it sounds hot enough

Plastic and stainless steel can mar the taste of water, so get a glass one.

I have the one in your post. It works great. Just be sire to clean it out once in awhile if your tap water has any mineral content to it.

>600 kettle meme

Bodum Ibis $50 on Amazon

I use mine at least twice a day

>$50 for a plastic kettle

You got ripped off, enjoy your cancer.

Are electric kettles seriously not something that every household has in America?

Everyone has Kuerigs now

Americans drink coffee.

Lower voltage in north america means electric kettles are inefficient compared to stove top ones.

I'd say it's a combination of these two things:
and
Tea drinkers are a minority, so most Americans just have a coffee machine and those that do drink tea go with stovetop kettles for efficiency and cheapness.

Never actually considered that.

Looking into upgrading my electric kettle. Any good models with both variable temp and a slow pour spout that don't cost a fucking arm and a leg?

Can you not draw the same amount of power as us? As far as I know typical US plugs are rated for 15 amps, so you can draw up to 1.8 kW. Must kettles here (Europe) are a bit more than 1.8, but not too much, typically 2.4 for the fancy ones.

Most Americans don't have a kettle at all, electric or otherwise.

Define an arm and a leg?

I'd prefer not to go over $50 if possible, but the lower the better. I just don't want a piece of shit.

Little more expensive than you want, but it has good reviews on amazon:
amazon.com/Bonavita-BV382510V-Electric-Gooseneck-Temperature/dp/B005YR0F40

Yeah that's the one I keep seeing and it looks good but I just have a hard time convincing myself it's worth it to spend $80 on a jug that boils water. The shitty thing is how much of a price difference the slow pour spout seems to make, is it really that much trouble to produce that it has to cost me like $20 extra?

I'm really cheap, so I would probably buy a cheaper one and a gooseneck tea pot and heat the water in the kettle, but brew the tea in the tea pot.

>gooseneck tea pot

what

goosenecks are kettles, their whole point is a controllable spout for pourover coffeemakers

I like my bonavita

restaurantsupply.com/winco-jb2932

Teapots can also have a gooseneck spout.

>every European boils their water in plastic
>Europeans have been supremely cucked for decades now

Is this a coincidence?

amazon.com/Breville-SK500XL-Cordless-1-7-Liter-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000A790X6/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1486863425&sr=1-1&keywords=breville electric kettle

I have this one, it's kind of expensive but I got it as a gift and I really like the brushed stainless aesthetic. Boils water much faster than using the microwave or stovetop.

Get a kettle with temperature presets for tea.

youtu.be/Z0Bk4lJWBe8

it says that this is the unisex kettle. do you know if breville makes a male one?

If you mean slow pour as in a spout that's suited for pourover coffee, you could also look into getting a separate little pouring pitcher. Might end up being cheaper. I have a shit electric kettle and a $20 ebay pouring pitcher, works really well.

A KETTLE IS A FUCKING KETTLE YOU STUPID DUMB AMERICAN CUNTS YOU PUT WATER IN IT FLICK THE SWITCH AND WAIT FOR IT TO BOIL FUCKING IDIOTS

most US kitchens will have a 20-30A breaker anyway. Though many are only fitted with 15A receptacles for the easily accessible outlet.

and, while most outlets are 110v, many kitchens with electric ovens will have a 220v line anyway.

I had a Bonavita with adjustable temperature. I mainly bought it for my pourover coffee game, but it's also fine for teas. it's pricey, but Massdrop does them pretty regularly.

You are all reading way too much into this, it is just a kettle. Something like this will do you fine:

tesco. com/direct/russell-hobbs-henley-23604-kettle-17-l-cream/691-0665.prd?skuId=691-0665

That is what pretty much every house in the UK has, works perfectly

15 or 20 A would be the standard breaker for a normal household outlet in the US.

A full size oven would be plugged into a 240V 50A circuit. But usually there's only one such outlet (the one for the oven itself) in the kitchen.

So just import a 220V kettle and get a step-up transformer.

Ditch the kettle and get one of these.

I'm still scratching my head over why the Brits haven't discovered these yet and still use kettles....

Unnecessary and quite hateful post. Whole magazines exist for comparison shopping like cnet, consumer reports, etc. I like to make sure I don't get BPAs in appliances too. OP, I would never buy the one pictured. Stay away from plastic if you intend to use this daily, and not some cheap throwaway you intend to just take on a business trip or some other temporary usage.
If you're a neglecting person, make sure you get something with an auto-shut off. Nothing is scarier than thinking you left a coffee pot on when you've driven off for the day. I actually have an external outlet timer I use with an on switch for 1, 3, 6 hours before it breaks off. I use the 1hr on weekdays, and the 3hr on weekends, and for my crock pot, I use the 6 hour, you know, just in case I have a car accident and don't make it home at all...my house won't burn down. You can buy other breakers that have timer functions that allow you to set it ahead in delay 8 hours, so you can set up your kettle the night before, and have your hot water ready when you first enter the kitchen. These are good workarounds for buying a cheaper appliance but still getting functionality that fits your lifestyle.

We have them, they are shit. Don't get the water hot enough.

Water boils at the same temperature in those things and a kettle bro. 100c is 100c.

that's a rice cooker dumbass

Water needs to be freshly drawn and freshly boiled for each cup of tea.

Also

>Non stick interior
Do people outwith the UK have problems with water sticking to their surfaces?

It's my understanding that american electric outlets aren't great for kettles being only 110V.

Or you can just boil, pour some, and use a thermometer to see when it gets to where you want it.

or you can just press a button, go take a shower and brush your teeth, come back and have it already done at the exact temp you want for the tea you're having that day.

Those don't maintain water at boiling for obvious reasons. Most of them keep to 85-90 degrees.

>Water needs to be freshly drawn and freshly boiled for each cup of tea.

Why? What changes if the water sits there for a day? Is there any logic behind this or are you just memeing? I would argue that it's better if it sits out for a while because that removes any chlorine that might be present.

No, but they're just a couple degrees below. Mine has settings for 200, 206, and 210F whereas the boiling point is 212. There is also a button on them which you can press to boil the water. It only takes about 15 seconds or so to get a full on boil.

The science behind it is here : dilmahtea.co.uk/facts-of-tea/facts_of_tea_05_why_should_one_never_reboil_water_when_brewing_tea/

It makes your tea taste flat and dull is the best way I can describe it from personal experience.

Thanks for posting that. I get the concept but the facts are wrong.

Yes, various gases (including CO2) dissolve in water. But ALL of that CO2 will be released well before the water is actually boiling.

Have you ever watched water heating up in a pot? You will see tiny bubbles appear on the sides and bottom of the pot well before the water is actually at a boil. Those bubbles are the dissolved gases coming out of solution and leaving the water. By the time the water is actually boiling 100% of those gases are gone. There is nothing more to change by "re boiling" the water; the gases are already gone the first time.

There is perhaps more than one factor to look at, i.e. would the sitting water produce acidic content, altering the ph of the water slightly, and such like?

do you really need us to hold your hand buying a fucking kettle?

I wish I'd just got a stovetop whistler, since I live in the U.S. so kettles are only ~1500 watts. 1800 is the theoretical maximum our standard outlets can supply without tripping.

>would the sitting water produce acidic content

If it was sitting at room temperature then some more gas from the air would dissolve into the water.

If it was held at a hot temperature like in one of those Jap Air-pots that wouldn't happen.

....though it's kinda irrelevant because even if you let the water sit at room temp you'd lose the CO2 the moment you re-boiled the water.

>2011+5
>not having a tap that dispenses boiling water next to your sink
>I seriously hope you guys don't do this

>enjoy black tea, so strong it's opaque
>seems to correlate with transient kidney/urinary problems
:(

Just drink more water elsewhere in your diet.

I do, but it can't pass if I drink too much black tea. So I have coffee instead. My diet was much worse at the time. I would get lazy and eat nothing but bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. I'm eating way better now.

>Go to do the dishes
>Sink blasts me with scalding hot water
Brilliant.

>target.com/p/-/A-13795316
This world truly needs more hate speech desu.