Cocktail thread

Post, rate and debate your creations

>Classic Tom Collins
>Southside

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_lq5qHz0g
cocktailbuilder.com/blog/sherry-cocktail-recipes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP here. So I've got a half decent bottle of gin to start things off. What should I buy next?

A bottle of lemonade (made with sugar) to mix with the gin.

Thanks, what I really meant was what alcohol should I get next?

Get some maraschino liqueur and green chartreuse and make yourself a Last Word.

Sounds fucking A1+

What else would you recommend?

My basic bar stocking would be Gin, Bourbon (or rye, I like rye for cocktails and bourbon to drink neat), Campari, Sweet and Dry Vermouths, and some angostura bitters.

With this combo, you can make:
Any single liquor drink that uses these components
Martini
Manhattan
Negroni
Boulevardier

That cover what cocktail I want to drink 85% of the time. Obviously cater to your tastes, but those small bottles is as far as I need to consider my bar stocked.

[spoiler]you need more ice in your cocktails btw[/spoiler]

I'd have deleted my post to fix spoiler but I didn't want to lose the 666 in the middle.

A good video on basic bar sotcking

youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_lq5qHz0g

Also have some neat cocktail videos

Great recs. I was thinking that white vermouth might be a good one because then I can make a martini.

Will also go for a bottle of bourbon, the bitters also sound like a good catch?

What about vodka? I was thinking that might open the possibilities up a bit? Or is the gin a good basic liquor to start off with. I could swap the gin out for vodka and make a vodka martini for instance.

Yeah, my list was a basic selection for my tastes. I almost never drink vodka, but I'll keep a dirt cheap bottle around for the odd Bloody Mary or White Russian and usually Tito's or Stoli for guests since they're okay enough for most vodka drinkers without being too pricey. I use gin in pretty much any other situation someone would use vodka, but that's just my taste.

If you like vodka, definitely get a good one. Same if you're big on tequila or rum or amaro or whatever you happen to like. I almost always have Fernet Branca on hand because I love it (and love introducing unsuspecting friends to it) but I wouldn't consider it even close to necessary.

I think I read somewhere that Amaro is going to be huge and also that vodka is coming back big time. Brilliant recs, really appreciate it.

Can I have the links please?

I mean the channel has some neat cocktail videos, where they go through making some famous ones

Got a bottle of oloroso sherry today and been doing some experimental sipping all night. Pictured: equal parts aged rhum agricole, Fernet Branca, lime juice and ginger ale, with a dash each of ginger liqueur and allspice dram, topped with an oloroso float.
Other attempts included a Fog Cutter with oloroso instead of amontillado, and something sickening that involved chocolate bitters.

Same user here. Currently at the "tipsy enough that further experiments will be utterly unproductive" stage.
Currently drinking: 1 oz oloroso, 1 oz orange juice, 1/2 oz Swedish punsch, 1/8 oz falernum, 1/8 oz passion fruit syrup, 1/8 oz dill seed infusion. I think this tastes good, but I will confirm it tomorrow night.

Looks exotic. How does it taste?

Post more examples. I'm liking what I see so far.

You got to try this, mane. It's pretty bitter, but not too strong and kinda sweet and wintry because of the allspice. I've had two of them tonight, in addition to my other experiments, and I can still spell and shit, so you know it's pretty innocuous. The oloroso leaves a weird woody aftertaste, which you get used to pretty quick. I can't wait to start using it for more stuff.

The other post, I actually burnt my dick while making the dill seed infusion. Don't ask. Still worth it.

>tfw can't captcha

Also: Don't forget the cucumber garnish. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi.

And as for more, try this gem: THE DRINK THAT NICK LIKES. Named after my roommate, Nick, who dared me to make this drink with the leftover sauce from some curry he made.

1 oz Plantation Stiggins' Fancy pineapple rum
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz mango shit (pureed mango simmered with brown mustard seeds and curry leaves)
1/2 oz Batavia Arrack
1/4 oz passion fruit syrup
1/4 oz orgeat
dash cardamom bitters

Shake, and strain into cocktail glass over crushed ice. This is my roommate's favorite cocktail, I shit you not.

I mixed orange juice and vodka
I call it and Orange-vod-juice-ka

I don't drink and even I know that's a Screwdriver.

Still, he cared enough to garnish it. That's a plus in my book.

Point taken. The garnish is a nice touch.

May I suggest you do it with cocktail cherry or some lemongrass next time? Would provide some decent contrast.

Lemongrass, nice. Never used it in drinks before, but I'm a dab hand at Thai cooking, so it would be right up my alley. Got any lemongrass recommendations involving rum? That's my preferred base spirit.

I've got a bottle of Pedro Ximenez sweet dessert sherry. Any suggestions?

Like replaces like, man. Try it in recipes that call for other sweet fortified wines, like a Manhattan or Negroni, and see how you like it, then go from there. Can't give you anything more specific, as I've only mixed with dry sherries before.

Good call - I'll give it a try

I've just found this:

cocktailbuilder.com/blog/sherry-cocktail-recipes/

>cocktailbuilder.com/blog/sherry-cocktail-recipes/
Oh yeah, make yourself an Up To Date if you got the requisite materials. It's one of those recipes that gives you something interesting no matter what kind of sherry you have, in my opinion.

It's really a shame more mixologists don't work with sherry. It's really complex and rich, and a lot of cocktails could benefit from its briny audacity.