Redpill me on why this sauce is suddenly everywhere

Redpill me on why this sauce is suddenly everywhere

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2013/06/taste-test-the-best-sriracha.html
skillet.lifehacker.com/tip-tester-how-other-sriracha-sauces-compare-to-the-or-1715326431
ovens.reviewed.com/features/reviewed-ultimate-sriracha-taste-test-showdown
srirachalove.blogspot.com/2013/07/sriracha-smackdown-part-ii-who-reigns.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>suddenly
Are you from 2010?

Suddenly? It's been a fucking meme for years now, after simply being found in Chinese restaurants and such.

My first exposure to it was this family owned pizza place back in the 90's. Don't remember exactly when it became a meme.

blame the hipsters for venturing off to se asian restaurants and finding this shit

Mine was a gumbo diner near campus in the late nineties.

3 more years and Op will be asking why everyone is suddenly using sea salt

Memes by year:
1992-1995 Pesto
1996-2000 Ranch
2001-2007 ???
2008-2017 Sriracha

>2001-2007 ???
This was the Atkins era so I'm guessing Bacon.

Pesto was a meme?

Early 90's Seinfeld Episode:

ELAINE: Do you want some of mine?

JERRY: Take some of mine.

GEORGE: Why do I get pesto? Why do I think I'll like it? I keep trying to like it, like I have to like it.

JERRY: Who said you have to like it?

GEORGE: Everybody likes pesto. You walk into a restaurant, that's all you hear - pesto, pesto, pesto.

JERRY: I don't like pesto.

GEORGE: Where was pesto 10 years ago?

celebrity endorsements

i like his comedy, but his twitter rants are so pathetic.

thats the shit my dad put on the roof to kill pigeons when I was a kid.

>enjoy a variety of different hot sauces
>put sriracha on a lot of stuff because its cheap and plentiful
>everyone gets me sriracha paraphernalia for Christmas
>wall clock, poster, you name it
>become the sriracha guy
>mfw

i unironically own a sriracha shirt

it's comfy

I hate how this shit brand is pushing all the other better brands of sriracha off the shelf lately.

Gotta get that normie meme cred instead of somethimg that tastes good.

this is what my place looks like now

Memes aside, what is your favorite way to use this sauce?

in pho

user said memes aside

how does jack in the box make creamy sriracha? I imagine they just mix it with ranch but it taste so fucking good

I wasn't really into that thing before. But after reading about it on /ceekay/ I bought a bottle and I gotta say, it changed my life and how I cook.

I did a project in culinary school on it well kind of
It was about how spicy food has been gaining popularity and how chefs have to work with that but 1/3 of the papper was about the rise of Sriracha every year for the past 3 years or something like that there profits have doubled
You have to think untill Sriracha most hot sauces in the US were very vinegar heavy and when some one said hot sauce the average American will think something like Franks hot sauce it Sriracha changes that
Sriracha tastes like garlic salt and peppers what's not to like
it also not insanely hot and it's not to vinegary also the thickness helps it be applied to more things that a liquid hot sauce
It's original tasty and healthy with only 10 calories a tablespoon
Also the foreign Factor it's new and exciting and sounds foreign
Also hipsters famous people and the whole West Coast in general started a trend that it's cool to like hot foods
(See also the rise of ghost peppers, Carolina Reapers and the like)

Mix it with ranch dressing for the ultimate meme sauce

What are you, a fucking historian?
Shitposting aside, that was a good episode.

>suddenly

Hello, flyover cuck/poltard

Tastes good, very low in calories.
That sounds disgusting to me; Creamy adobo sauce is amazing tho, so i guess ill try it out

what's super fucking sad about this is making your own spicy general red sauce is so fucking easy, and yet people pay for this bottle of processed ingredients that is convenient. I can only hope the cancer brings your death quickly amerifats.

>not even a "hot" sauce

Fucking normies man, it's just a sauce.

Not worth my time to make it.

This is basically the new ketchup. It's not bad by any means, just... average.

This "phenomena" still puzzles me. I found out about this condiment in 1992 and have been using it various appropriate foods since.
When years later it suddenly becomes "mainstream fad OMG!" I just sit back and laugh at this.
However, it has been nice that it is easier to find this century.

oh shit what if people discover my secret food and it becomes popular and then everyone thinks I'm a pathetic bandwagoneer. I don't know if I could take it.

chili garlic sauce diluted with plum sauce > this pleb vinegar juice

Tried it a few months ago.
The flavor is fucking terrible.
I prefer cholula hot sauce.

I think it has to do with its versatility. In my house we decide to put Sriracha on something random to see if it works, and it usually does. The flavor is just kind of generically pleasant. It got me to actually enjoy fried egg, and I have even mixed it into Irish stew (quite good)

this sauce is anti-american propaganda

Mix it with mayo, dummy. Or you can buy it already mixed if you're that lazy.

It's fucking good.

It was always there. People just have twitter and reddit to force the memes now.

They better stay away from my quinoa.

I think you'll be fine no one likes quinoa

their loss
my gain

>Their loss
>My grain

Do I have to do everything g or you?

Let's say, for sake of conversation, that I've lived a very sheltered life and have never had sriracha before and would like to try it. What brand should I get? These are the taste tests I've found:
seriouseats.com/2013/06/taste-test-the-best-sriracha.html
skillet.lifehacker.com/tip-tester-how-other-sriracha-sauces-compare-to-the-or-1715326431
ovens.reviewed.com/features/reviewed-ultimate-sriracha-taste-test-showdown
srirachalove.blogspot.com/2013/07/sriracha-smackdown-part-ii-who-reigns.html
Cook's Illustrated just recommends the oruginal Huy Fong version.

Do you agree with any of their rankings?
Or is this a case where making it yourself destroys all the bottled varieties? If so, have any recipe recommendations?

it's a memesauce that doesn't even taste good, don't put that much effort into it. I only ever consume it if there is nothing else available. I guess it's slightly better than tabasco though.

>suddenly

flyover much OP?

Not op, but it wasn't common on the east coast when I moved out here from California 20 years ago. I started noticing it probably in the mid 2000s and everyone was all like "OMG the new sriracha" which amused me since I was eating it since as long as I can remember back home. It really only hit the full mainstream in the last year or so, I'd say 2010.

Sriracha is good, don't listen to dipshits who compare it to tabasco, cholula, etc. Different situations call for different hot sauce.

It's like comparing apples to oranges and bananas. They're all fruits but vastly different.

Also, get the Huy Fong.

or comparing neon genesis evangelion to gurren laggen

It's just a garlicky chilli sauce.

Always go for flying goose brand though.

I was eating that stuff in the 90s. I liked the jar stuff more. I stopped because it's too sugary for me now.

I'm not saying Huy Fong Foods increased the sugar content of their sauces, just my tastes changed.

Basically, hipsters have the same flavour affinities as a 12 year old with a very marginally higher tolerance for spiciness. Anyone comfortable in their self image with these tastes would just eat at taco bell et al. and be done with it.

Sriracha allows them to satisfy their cravings for something that's a cloying mix of sweet, salty, spicy and garlicy without giving the outwards appearance of consuming junk food due to its apparently exotic packaging. Throw in the fact it had temporarily fallen out of widespread use in the 00's and they've suddenly 'discovered' a magical new sauce.

Thank you for your input.

Its basically mix of hot pepper and not hot Pepper.

Also its not Chinese.

Find a restaurant that carries sriracha and try it there, it'll save you money. Pick up some sambal oelek instead.

>kum

How much is a bottle anyway? A few bucks.
Dont like it?
Use it for cleaning hard to get pans.

>Suddenly

Maybe in your Midwestern flyover shithole of a town, plebfriend.

Because "LOL cock sauce".

>suddenly

I remember feeling this way 10 years ago.

its pretty much become the new ketchup in my house hold

I ironically use emojis with my friends and carved the laughing while crying face on a pumpkin and now I'm the "emoji guy" and people have bought me pillows, PJ pants, stickers, christmas lights, etc of emojis...

It sucks.

I like it because its thick and isn't 90% vinegar like other hot sauces.

how the fuck are you still getting trolled by tim heidecker in 2017?

This. It's mild enough to put on everything and doesn't overpower the flavor, it will be around forever so it's not really a meme.

Op must be 60 years old

did you just get out of prison OP?

It's the end product of an astroturfing campaign where message board posters pretended that hot sauce goes with anything and is superior to all other accompaniments.

You missed the pretzel bun fad

quinoa is already a meme food in the uk

I use it in my jerky marinade, works pretty good.

I put them on everything!!

>WARNING: HOT!

that's what you get for having friends normie

I was, for a time, the mark of authenticity for Asian restaurants on the west coast. You knew the pho was going to be delicious because it was on the table. Then it memed its way into other geographic areas and boom goes the dynamite

I put it on eggs and sometimes grilled chicken. If it's your go to hot sauce yous a busta

Literally just spicy ketchup - disgusting.

>2001-2007 Chipotle

interesting. the vinegar is what keeps me away from stuff like tabasco, maybe i'll give sriraca a try.

While we're on the topic what's the best hot sauce (Mexican style, not Asian or Buffalo)? I like Cholula the best for flavor but's not hot so I'm looking for something like it but hotter.

I'm 36 and was raised in the Bay Area. We just called it rooster sauce. I like the creator's story and the fact that it's all family owned and produced in the US.

>inb4 he didn't create sriracha sauce you know wtf I mean

I used to put this shit in my soup when I was a kid back in the 90s. Now everyone's doing it.

Guess I'm just a trend setter.

How is it ketchup if it has no tomato?

its like ketchup in that it has become a versatile goto staple condiment.

in the past people used to douse their shitty food with ketchup or ranch and now they douse it with this.

>suddenly
It's been a fucking meme for like 7 years now

mfw I unironically did this when making a chips dip

>it's literally this wholly unrelated thing because my diseased mind thinks because people use it it makes it the same!

Get some help.

aww gayboy is mad his favorite memesauce is being called the ketchup it is haha be gay somwhere else little baby

even hot dog stands have that shit now you blind nigger. its pretty much just another "put that shit on everything" sauce.

So is mustard ketchup?

Is pickle relish ketchup?

Is mayo ketchup?

Is peanut butter ketchup?

You're fucking stupid.

Do you literally have autism? Do all analogies and metaphors just go right through you?

English is not even my 2nd language and I understood him perfectly

it was a shit analogy and metaphor retard

No it wasn't. You just didnt understand it because you have aspergers

I want this to be real.

>English is not even my 2nd language and I understood him perfectly

But you couldn't figure out me using his own description of what "ketchup" is to list more condiments that would be ketchup to him.

besides the mayo none of that other stuff is even close to ketchup/ranch levels of popularity cause they are not as versatile.

That's because YOUR analogy was retarded which is why I replied to you to begin with

Oh, but of course his is divine and irrefutable because you agree with it?

At least call it hot sauce, because that's actually what it is, instead of using convoluted mental gymnastics to call it ketchup.
Hot sauce is even as prevelant as ketchup, so that works for you.