I'm making burgers from scratch for the family tomorrow and I've never done it before. Any tips...

I'm making burgers from scratch for the family tomorrow and I've never done it before. Any tips? I'll be making it on the stove by the way

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xN-AvNQcsRA
youtube.com/watch?v=zmg_jOwa9Fc
youtu.be/64gVd9rDla8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

do not ever squish them with the spatula, dont touch them once theyre cooking

you dont need to use butter, use it anyway

do not over cook them

cook them in simmering onions

Buy yeast and flour and make your own fresh fluffy potato buns

youtube.com/watch?v=xN-AvNQcsRA

They are easy if you follow the flour:water measurements exactly with a scale but even if you stuff it up, you only wasted 70 cents of ingredients and 9 minutes of your conscious input.

Thanks this all sounds like some good advice

Those look delicious, but I already bought potato buns from the store. I'll definitely try this out next time if things go well.

no need for flour, eggs or breadcrumbs or onions in your patties; just meat, salt, pepper.

fry the patties in oil at start and add butter when you flip them, otherwise your butter might burn.

butter and toast your buns

>pre salting your burger meat
300 replies incoming.

1.) Buy 80/20 beef, leaner beef tastes worse and your burgers will be dry.
2.) Gently form the patties using 100% beef only, no filler bullshit. Gently, meaning do not overwork the beef, use minimal effort. Press a shallow dimple in the center of each patty.
3.) Size them between 4 and 6 ounces each. The "half-ponder" burgers do not cook correctly.
4.) After forming patties, lay them on wax paper and return to the fridge until well-chilled. They will firm up and hold together better.
5.) Season the patties with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Only on the surface, do not mix it into the meat. Season immediately before cooking. That's all the seasoning you need, other flavors come from cheese, sauce, toppings.
6.) Cook until medium-rare to medium. Yes there should be some pink inside. Like someone said, dont squish them, and use a large heavy pan, do not overcrowd it.
7.) Buy high quality buns and toppings. Size the buns to properly fit your 4 to 6 ounce patties. Prepare your spread buffet-style so your guests can build their own to preference.
8.) Order is important! Lightly toast the buns, then whatever sauce is spread. Lettuce goes on the bottom to isolate the patty from the bun so it doesn't get juice-soggy. Cheese goes over the hot patty to melt. Other shit like tomatoes, onions, pickles, etc goes on top.
9.) Take photos and post them here, so we can roast your sorry ass when you fuck it up.

>Gently form the patties using 100% beef only, no filler bullshit
My cousin recommended adding ranch mix into it. Not a good idea?

>Take photos and post them here, so we can roast your sorry ass when you fuck it up
Will do

Listen to every fucking detail in the post that took me 10 minutes to type out. Do not fucking change anything! Salt and other additives to the beef changes the protein structure and texture for the worse, use 100% beef, not overworked, fresh and high quality of course, with the right fat content, the right patty size and shape, and cooked to the proper doneness.
Don't fuck with perfection.

When pressing your patties, make the edges thicker are than the center. Burgers swell in the middle, especially when cooking stovetop.

You sound like you know what you're talking about so I'll do what you say. Thanks for the advice

Don't listen to this sperg lord. You still need to add salt and pepper for flavoring. Don't bother with any fillers or other flavorings though.

That's the difference between an ordinary burger and a fantastic one. Its not as simple as it looks, its not difficult but there are definitely rules to follow and pitfalls to avoid.
You know that ranch powder is loaded with salt? It will definitely fuck up the meat's texture, and forces ranch flavor onto the entire batch, when just one guy prefers that. Put a bottle of ranch on the table, he can spread that on the bun.

Unless you grind your own meat you shouldn't cook it medium rare.

I tried it once with supermarket ground beef and it didn't turn out well, stomach was hurting for the next couple of days

You fucking idiot. Read step 5 again.
>Season the patties with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
On the surface of the pre-chilled patties immediately before cooking. Its very important that you do NOT mix it into the raw meat throughout. Its a surface seasoning, and you do not want to give it much time to soak in.

His recipe does include salt and pepper.

This.

It's backed up by everything you'll see professionals do and they have it down pat.
youtube.com/watch?v=zmg_jOwa9Fc
it's only when you know these rules do you start to pick up on everyone using them in cooking shows.

How long do you typically cook each side? Like I said I'm new to burgers and I don't want to fuck up and burn them

You're gunna have to do it by eye, babycakes. Just don't let them get black. Dark brown is okay, but black is not.

There's a trick to checking doneness by comparing it to the 'hardness' of your hand. I think Medium-Rare with your middle finger or something like that.

If you can't be assed to do that, use a meat thermometer.

>There's a trick to checking doneness by comparing it to the 'hardness' of your hand

Yes, but that's for whole pieces of meat, not a patty made from ground meat.

Excellent point.

Still, if you need to check doneness that badly and you can't eyeball it, you could always cut into it... but that's going to make all the juices run out and lead to a disappointing burger.

In conclusion; eyeball it, ruin it with a knife, or use a meat thermometer. Some things can only be learned with experience.

If your burgers are thin enough and your heat is high enough, you shouldn't have to worry about them being underdone, but more of them being overdone.

>truffle fries
>baklava shake
>hash tag
my generation was a mistake. my only hope is that the next generation unfucks itself, otherwise western civilization will be replaced by subhuman shitskins, muslims and niggers

you don't do that with supermarket ground beef user. next time go to a butcher and tell him to make you ground beef for hamburgers. if he is not a complete retard he will know what to do.
I get my perfect 80/20 from my local butcher and it's only slightly more expensive than supermarket ground beef. saves me lots of time to do the job myself if I want quality meat for my burgers.

do a practice one, record everything you did with paper and adjust heat for a more crowded pan if you get it perfect.
I've never had truffle because I've never been to place that offered it, if it came from a food truck on any kind of food I would buy it instantly.

Get over yourself. It sounds fucking dank as fuck.

people will probably scold me for this but I buy great value premade 100% angis beef patties from walmart and they are very good. Just thaw them season with salt and pepper and cook, but never press them with your spatula just let them do their thing. They come out very juicy and i find they are better than most burgers I buy in restaurants these days. Cheap if your buying for a lot of people as well and not time consuming to prepare.

>store brand
>walmart
>just let it thaw out

meh, i don't know they taste great to me but I'm a cheap ass recently.

for the classic, ultimate crowd pleasing burgers:

>medium ground beef
>salt
>pepper
>that's it

>combine without compressing the meat too much
>let it "keep its shape"
>form into patties, lightly press the middle down before frying or it'll balloon up

don't listen to this faggot, OP. season your goddamned meat before forming.

not too much, but enough to make a difference.

>disregards well proven facts
>believes rumors, just because
Who are you going to believe op?

I don't like it when mom and dad make me choose sides

Kek

Thanks, Alton

You forgot wrap a #10 can with plastic wrap a use is a your burger smasher.
I found a stewed tomatoes can has the weight to really smash those fuckers into proper burger size.
Just smash then dimple the middle.

gr8 b8 m8

dont listen to this retard op, he's telling you everything NOT to do.

>grilling burgs in a skillet on a grill
>ole miss

I bet this photo was taken in Ocean Springs

Fellow Mississippi fag here. That meat looks like it was ground and emulsified as finely as lunchmeat or what happened to the Ol Miss football team this year. Where'd you get that shit? They have a butcher in Oxford don't they?

Me neither it's like the divorce courts all over again.

That's because he's a chef at Wendy's.

gonna do this tonight

This is all correct. But I would add that if you throw your cheese on the patties at the very end of cooking then put a little water in the pan and cover for about half a minute, you get perfect melty cheese every time.

Food poisoning is "the only thing you can do is lie in bed, drink ginger ale, and wait to die or for the pain to subside, whichever comes first"
Not "my tummy hurt the next day"

I know that now lol, I actually got a hand crank meat grinder for christmas so now I grind my own meat for burgers, sausages and other shit now.

It's great being able to control the grind coarseness, the fat content etc

pic related, pork sausages I made

No shit mate, I never said I got full on food poisoning but then again I've eaten worse and only gotten a sore stomach to varying degrees that's sometimes accompanied by explosive diarrhea or puking or both, maybe I just have a higher tolerance for the pain food poisoning brings, I dunno man

>Buy 80/20 beef, leaner beef tastes worse and your burgers will be dry.
Man, I never know what to think about this. I have a small local butcher that sells a 95% lean ground sirloin that I have been using to make burgers for years. They never come out dry or bad-tasting at all, and most of my friends even comment that they are some of the best burgers they've ever had. The only seasoning I do is with salt, pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

On the flip side, whenever I have burgers made by someone else, it's always 80% or less lean, and they're always a drippy, fatty-tasting mess.

I always hear the argument "flavor comes from the fat", but then why is it that when we eat steak, we don't eat the fat?

This is a good post and is a good addendum

>but then why is it that when we eat steak...

In a good quality steak the fat is "marbled". It's spread throughout the meat rather than being in large chunks. You do eat the fat.

It's only in shitty steaks that you get big chunks of fat that you avoid.

I like to throw in some ground pork sometimes.

Cheese in the middle of patty is god tier

Wrong.

youtu.be/64gVd9rDla8

please, go back to buzzfeed

you madman

Enjoy your smoked house smelling like burgers and grease for the next week. Also enjoy cleaning the grease deposits the grease mist you created during cooking that clings to everything.

Thanks, I will.

pink in the middle? rather not get ill thanks
never understood people wanting burgers pink, I can understand steak but mince meat should be cooked thoroughly imo

>never understood people wanting burgers pink

It's all about the texture bro.

>>but mince meat should be cooked thoroughly imo
If it's questionable meat, sure. I wouldn't cook wal-mart meat like that. But if it's good quality ground meat? Absolutely. I use short rib and grind it myself with an attachment for the kitchenaid mixer.

I cant imagine the texture of raw mince meat being a pleasurable one in the mouth

You're right. A rare hamburger has an unpleasant pasty texture.

Medium rare or medium is ideal so you get that contrast between the crust on the outside of the patty and the more tender interior.

what is this no seasoning meme