What to do with the peels?

So, have you ever made anything with peels?
I'm considering using some potatoes peels next time I cook them
Let's discuss about peels in general

Not worth the effort of washing them, honestly. I'm sure you could do something creative with some kind of parmesan cheese or powdered flavor, but these things are qualified as 'food waste' for a reason, usually. Even 'potato skins' have a large amount of the tuber actually in the skin when they're served.

The skins are gritty as hell, even when cleaned and fried. I can't really see how you can redeem these terrible things as food beyond a garnish.

Compost

People actually peel potatoes? I thought that was just something they did on TV in the movies. Like L shaped blankets and not rinsing after brushing.

Depends on what you're cooking.

Name one dish that would be better without the skins. When properly cleaned, potato skins add a rich early flavor and an interesting contrast of texture to whatever you're cooking.

>Fried
>Baked
>Boiled
>Mashed

All better with the skins

>Mashed
this i disagree with

if you live enough potato on it you can deep fry them or bake them with some olive oil and salt/pepper

I think mashed potatoes can go a couple of different ways.

I do love a good rustic mash with pieces of the skin in there, bits of bacon, maybe some cheese. But on the other hand, there's also something to be said for the super-smooth, skinless, and super-butter-rich restaurant style as well. The skins don't really work well in that type.

Also, roasted potatoes need to be skinless. That way you can toss them after parboiling to roughen up the surface and get a really good crispy texture after they go in the oven.

>this i disagree with
this i disagree with

M'nigga

I leave the peels on when I cook the ones from my garden since I know there were no pesticides or conventional fertilizers or herbicides used. I always peel store bought.

The skins contribute a portion of the vitamins and minerals, so if you're confident in how they were farmed, it's best to eat them.

Pretty sure OP just meant cooking the peels ONLY.

Sure cooking with the peels can make roasted potatos look sexy but jesus christ they are not food on their own.

>People actually peel potatoes?
I haven't peeled a potato in a long time. I've seen people peeling carrots, too, and I don't get that, either.

If they are clean you can use them for stock.

Peels from ginger root are good to soak in boiling hot water, make a ginger stock for soups or ginger beer or whatever

>not rinsing after brushing
Oh god, can you imagine going around all day with toothpaste grit in your mouth?

Usually my family peels potatoes when making mashed but they can go either way

I save all my vegetable scraps, skins, and peels in a 2 gallon freezer bag for making stock. Just make sure to rinse and scrub before peeling.

Leaving peels on can sometimes make your food bitter. With stews I've noticed this.

I think I've peeled my potatoes twice in the past six years or so. I fucking love potatoes with the skins on, and I haven't had any reason at all to peel them, no matter what I use them for.

For that matter, I never peel my carrots. A cooked carrot tastes the same peeled or unpeeled.

You can use them as compost if you really don't like them. You could fry them into chips. You can eat them raw. You can make loaded potato skins. Mix them in mashed potatoes. The skins are full of nutrients.