Anyone have stories of old people's eating habits?

Anyone have stories of old people's eating habits?

I had an ex-girlfriend whose grandpa would not eat anything but casseroles and meatloaf. He said Italian was exotic and would just flat out refuse to eat it.

Other urls found in this thread:

firstwefeast.com/eat/2015/08/an-illustrated-history-of-soul-food
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140301-african-american-food-history-slavery-south-cuisine-chefs/
africooks.com/index.php?page=high-hog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clabber_(food)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>not eating true american meals like mac and cheese
Its like his entire life is just commie propaganda

>He said Italian was exotic

Once upon a time, it was. That's why Chef Boyardee was so successful. This new pasta-and-tomato-sauce thing was strange and new, and tasty.

It does seem that your ex's grandfather must have been reclusive, though. Italian / Italian-American food has now been common here for decades.

My grandmother wouldn't eat Mexican, Greek, or Italian food (or any other ethnic food) because it was "too ethnic", but then again she was born in 1900 and has been dead for over twenty years.

Not eating habit, but some user posted a story about their aunt or great aunt who had lived in Korea during the Korean war with her military husband. They liked the kimchi there and when they went back to whereever the fuck they were in America, they would make kimchi and rice. Except they made it with rice, plain cabbage, and jalapenos.

>casseroles and meatloaf not American
Trying way too hard to blend in there, Achmed.

My mom moved to the U.S. from Japan in 1976. I When I was a kid, she would sometimes take out a few slices of bologna, cut them up, grab the pieces with chopsticks and dip them into wasabi and/or soy sauce. She also ate a ton of Maruchan cup noodles. I guess that's one way to do cultural fusion.

A significant fraction of my family lives in Minnesota. I have never had Somalian food so one of my missions on my last trip was to taste it. They're all decently well traveled and I assumed they were up to the task, but the whole time we were eating it was nonstop Al Qaeda and anthrax jokes. The lady serving us didn't say a word but she obviously heard everything.

Never again, next time I'll demand we go to Perkins and avoid an hour of cringe.

anyone else got parents or grandparents that "cook" by throwing meat into a pot and boiling it and its techincally cooked all the way through but all the flavor got left in the stinky grease water and you gotta sit there like "mmm its tender" and wait for them to turn their back so you can season it with goddamn anything so it tastes at least like salty rubber instead of just rubber

>implying mac and cheese isn't more american
Go back to vietnam you commie

On holidays I stayed with gramps, rest of the family went to see other relatives, I was a difficult child...anyhoo
We drank black coffee, ate white bread with cheese, she made the best omelette. Tons of cream in it, topped with chives.
We played cards, watch tv, looked after her only tomatoplant.
In the evening I might get a small glass of port.
I was 10 yo.
Didnt shower for weeks.
Sometimes she would take her fake teeth out and make fun with them.
Damn, I miss her.

My grandmother would let whole milk sit out on the counter until it partially solidified and then drink it. She called it "clabber milk."

That episode of Family Guy where Tom Tucker dates Peter's mom and takes both of them to McDonald's she orders a Filet O' Fish and a Sanka. That always made me laugh because that was one of my grandma's favorite fast food combos - fish sandwich and decaf coffee lol.

How was the food though?

A granduncle of a friend was from Ohio and he swore by limburger sandwiches. Big slab of limburger, raw onion, and mustard on rye, I think with butter. He loved that shit

Yep, endured 3 years of my dad cooking

>DAE OLD PEOPLES XD????

wow, human beings are creatures of habit. who'd have fucking thunk.

I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was certainly less bland than your average Minnesota cuisine, decent quality, and for the price very good indeed. 7.5/10 would eat again.

Back in the day old people had some REALLY strange eating habits

But is it worth having Somalis?

Seems like his eating habits are making a comeback though, with all the eat the booty like groceries talk and whatnot

>I have never had Somalian food so one of my missions on my last trip was to taste it. They're all decently well traveled and I assumed they were up to the task, but the whole time we were eating it was nonstop Al Qaeda and anthrax jokes. The lady serving us didn't say a word but she obviously heard everything.
Similar story with less outright rudeness, but my sibling took the family to the Afghani restaurant in Arlington VA each and every visit we'd do there, and we all loved it, but when not there in their faces, my brother nicknamed it The Taliban restaurant, I'm sure the owners had some kind of persecuted reason to be immigrants that wasn't all terroristy scary at all, maybe even some third generation descendants of diplomats or something, or they might even have been from somewhere else entirely, but the food was simply delicious, especially the rices and hot sauces.

On a similar note, you couldn't pay me to ever have Ethiopian food again, not even once more. Their food is like intentionally opposite and contrary spice and sweetness profiles. Sugar in the eggs and spinach, hot spice in the fruit. The injera bread is like someone let a pancake sit in water and mold over. Horrible. I think people who like it have never had good middle eastern or asian food and just think they like it just for being different.

I mean this guy was a real jerk.

>not liking injera and kitfo
pleb

Classes in reading comprehension would be good for you, Mohammed.

The girls seem cute and not vulgar and loud like white girls, I'd have to say yes

Yeah the funny thing is I've gone out for Afghan food with them and there were no issues. Also
>sourdough bread is bad
>implying the best indian food is not south indian
>implying injera is all that different from dosas and uttapams
>implying there is anything wrong with contrasting flavors
I bet you'd have a mental breakdown if you ever had Malaysian food

>
>>not liking injera and kitfo
>pleb
I'm not a pleb. I've had it a dozen times every time some guest of mine was like "let's get Ethiopian!" when I lived in DC, so yea I know all the dishes, and not just a first impression. I don't like gluten free spongy pancakes to dip into food, give me an India kulcha or lavash, anyday. I don't eat raw beef in restaurants with a bunch of butter. This cuisine isn't even common to actual Ethiopians, it's survival food they might enjoy once a year. And, what americans did to their soul food from heritage african dishes fixed whatever was wrong with Ethiopian food in the first place. Ham hocks and chili peppers in my collards, with hot pepper vinegar to finish, is much preferred to sugar, allspice and ginger.

>>implying injera is all that different from dosas and uttapams
Absolutely different.

>I bet you'd have a mental breakdown if you ever had Malaysian food
Love it. College roommate was from Penang Is. Pandan anything is delicious. Stop projecting your butthurt over your palate's blind love of ethiopian food as to my having no taste or that I haven't traveled.

>And, what americans did to their soul food from heritage african dishes fixed whatever was wrong with Ethiopian food in the first place
>Stop projecting your butthurt over your palate's blind love of ethiopian food as to my having no taste or that I haven't traveled.
I haven't traveled to West Africa either, which, incidentally, is where most American slaves came from, but I have had the food and it is in no way similar to Ethiopian food. Are you actually trying to suggest soul food is based on injera and kitfo?
Also
>implying pandan = contrasting flavors
>College roommate was from Penang
Ask your college roommate to explain rojak and then watch his eyes as your brain melts

I know people in their 60's that still think Italian is considered exotic. Mention anything like Japanese and they literally freak out.

>Are you actually trying to suggest soul food is based on injera and kitfo?
I think you don't understand African American food history, nor my mention of collards, not injera.

Here, read a book and expand your small mind:
firstwefeast.com/eat/2015/08/an-illustrated-history-of-soul-food
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140301-african-american-food-history-slavery-south-cuisine-chefs/
africooks.com/index.php?page=high-hog

You literally just equated soul food to "corrected ethiopian food", and now you're trying to do damage control by posting a bunch of links?

I can't tell if you realize you just made yourself look stupid and are now just trying to win an internet argument at all costs, or if you genuinely believe yourself to be an expert on soul food.

>You literally just equated soul food to "corrected ethiopian food",

As opposed to figuratively or metaphorically equating it to soul food, right?

Faggot.

>pedantics

It's official, local man loses arguement on the internet; looks stupid

Not the person you were responding to. I'm just calling you out for being a retarded millennial who doesn't know how to use "literally'.

Not the person who used the word "literally", and, technically, Mr. Pedant, I'm a GenX

I'm only been lurking, above related is my only post.

Argueing petty pedantics has never been a relevant part of a discussion, aspecially not with arbitrary bias.

Trying way too hard to fit in, Pablo.

Lel, nothing is worth having Somalis. They're some of the worst wastes of oxygen on the planet.

>never meeting a Samoan

Do Samoans have any redeeming qualities?

>You literally just equated soul food to "corrected ethiopian food", and now you're trying to do damage control by posting a bunch of links?
I did. This seems to be the only thing you actually do understand. How is it so hard for you to believe Ethiopian food isn't very good to my very educated palate? I think it's all a big mush eaten with mushy gluten-free bread. I like gluten, and since Indian breads have it, I'll not be saying they are the same thing. Kulcha is as different from a pappadam which is as different from a busted up shirt in the Caribbean. I'll take crepes or buckwheat blinis over injera bread. I'll even eat poi again over that nasty bread. Stop whining that you like what I don't like. I absolutely think the evolution of soul food in America indeed did fix what was wrong with heritage African foods, mainly because they weren't living in a desert anymore and not confined to it.

They make good wrestlers

That's about it

My great grandma didn't believe that food could spoil, and that "food spoilage" was all a scam to make you throw out perfectly good food and buy more.

There's a story my family tells about some Fawlty Towers style farce at a dinner party, in which they had to switch out a roast turkey she was gonna serve that was so far gone it had green veins, for a new one they bought and snuck in, all while distracting her. Like most of my family stories it's certainly embellished to being 99% or total bullshit, but whatever.

My grandpa lived to be 95, he'd put salt on everything and every meal would either be served with a can of soda or coffee or he wouldn't eat it. Like the man would go through a full shaker of salt by himself in like 2-3 months.

He died of unrelated problems tho

Ethiopian food has about as much to do with american soul food as punjabi food has to do with general tso's chicken.

Taste is subjective and you are entitled to have shit opinions about food, but when you start making objectively false claims to "justify" your shit taste, it's time to stop instead of digging in your heels and trying to act like a know-it-all.

My Grandpa doesn't eat at all, and when he is forced to he only eats 1/4 - 2/3 of it. It's most likely his medicine or his dementia, since he used to eat just fine before.

God that looks disgusting.
I absolutely hate raw or cooked onion, I only eat it if the texture and taste are masked in the food.

When my grandpa was a child (1950s), the diner in his hometown had a special burger sauce made from ketchup, mustard, and soysauce. It's been decades since he lived there, but he still makes it at home and demands it whenever he goes out. It's embarassing and somewhat sad; he's not exactly nice about asking for it and I'm certain his special sauce comes with boogers, spit and cum from the brown waitstaff.

Holy shit, it's actually a real thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clabber_(food)

My papaw would make oat meal really lumpy and sticky along with sos (shit on a shingle) which was basically biscuits and gravy with extra sausage. He was an army cook and made some damn good food that was cheap as fuck. I wish I took the time to learn a little from him before he passed

How does one solve the problem?

My grandmother is funny about textures. She doesn't like puddings. She also doesn't like seafood since they didn't eat seafood where she grew up in West Virginia.

Really popular with depression era old people. My great grandma (born in like 1910) always loved clabber. When she got super old she wanted it but no one would ever make it for her

>Greek or Italian
>white people
>ethnic
???

So what? I'd be embarrassed by your bitch ass. They should've made more pirate jokes though...

>On a similar note, you couldn't pay me to ever have Ethiopian food again, not even once more. Their food is like intentionally opposite and contrary spice and sweetness profiles. Sugar in the eggs and spinach, hot spice in the fruit. The injera bread is like someone let a pancake sit in water and mold over. Horrible. I think people who like it have never had good middle eastern or asian food and just think they like it just for being different.

agreed, fuck Ethipian food, worst dining experience of my life and got tremendously sick afterwards

was at a place in New York. Great honey wine though

Please never post again. Thank you.

looks atrocious
nothing triggers me like cheese-heavy dishes

Quinky sauce?

Yeah, but not the right type of white people.

>Taste is subjective
Wrong.

How can you expect Ethiopians to have developed food culture when they have no food to begin with

My grandpa really enjoyed sandwiches, especially when they had mayonaise, peanut butter, butter and bologna. He would always eat 2 for breakfast.

Trump eats all the fries before starting the burger.

#notmyprez

My mom did that only once and it was so awful even our two dogs wouldn't eat it. We ended up throwing it out and ordering pizza. [spoiler] we still give her crap about it [/spoiler]

My grandfather was from the backwoods hills of Kentucky. I used to see him buy those giant jars of pickled rope bologna, and just eat it, as one enormous piece. When he was finished, he boiled as many eggs as would fit and crammed them into the remaining liquid and stored them in a sunny spot on the kitchen counter, and start eating on them after just a few days.

My grandpa's favorite snack was a toasted Hershey bar and butter sandwich. I've never gotten around to trying one, but I'm sure it's both delicious and disgusting at the same time.

>Greek or Italian
>white

Yeah man. I've been hanging out with my grandpa a lot lately. The guy's "allergic" and "sensitive" to everything, so idk how but I guess I convinced him to try a banh mi one time and now he loves banh mi's.
Despite the fact that he always asks them to hold the bbq sauce, the cilantro, and the peppers, so I guess all that's left if carrots cucumber and meat. Weird guy.

>flyovers

From NY, actually
>le flyover meme

>americans

ITT: Americans are disgusting

What do you think yoghurt and sourcream are, user-san?

Milk or milk products fermented at a controlled rate by people who know their shit, not just milk set out to curdle by some random scot or some random depression era american

>Like the man would go through a full shaker of salt by himself in like 2-3 months.
This is fine.

thos look good

My grandmother grew up during the great depression

Noodles and grape jelly.

Posted again.

Pls be a cute Japanese American girl.

My grandpa eats bread and grapes or watermelon and grapes

My grandma likes hawaiian pizzas.

my grandmother cooked everything in a cast iron skillet until it was well done. her food was truly awful

Okay. How do you think sour cream was invented?
(I'll give you a hint: It has something to do with the "sour" part)

Clabber milk drinker detected.

>A German version is calledDickmilch(thick milk)

>catholic grandparents acting like they're required to eat fish on fridays, just because it's permitted

Old Catholics love that shit. I bet they hate the new Pope too.

My grandfather grew up in the depression on a farm that was pretty heavily effected by the dust bowl.

When my grandmother died he had no idea how to cook.

When I would go to his house things I saw him make for himself over and over again were:

ketchup and mustard butter milk

litterally a glass of cold butter milk with ketchup and mustard squeezed into and then lightly stirred with a fork. Not enough to blend but enough so as you drank you got "strings: of ketchup and mustard

Onion sandwhiches

1/2" thick slice of raw red onion on white wonderbread with mayo and mustard.
DESU when I get drunk I always crave these for some horrible reason

"savory" shredded wheat

shredded wheat, the kind with out the frosting pn one side. Add water till it almost floats then microwave for like eight fucking minutes add salt and pepper and enjoy! wtf?

HOT DOGS HOT DOGS HOT DOGS
Holy fuck did my grandpa make amazing fucking hot dogs with grilled mustard and toasted buns tons of red onion and MUSTARD MUSTARD MUSTARD BECAUSE KETCHUP WAS FOR POTATOES

Have you ever seen a Sicilian?

>1/2" thick slice of raw red onion on white wonderbread with mayo and mustard.
My Georgia raised grandfather used to make a thick vidalia onion sandwich, with I believe just simply mayo, but knowing him it was Durkee's sandwich spread (which was a mustardy mayo with other spices. Sometimes I think it was just to make my grandmother really upset like get-away-from-me with the onion breath generator. He liked to tease her. LOL.

As an adult, I realize it was James Beard's favorite sandwich too, and published in his cookbook in the mid 60s. His were tea sandwiches, rolled in parsley that stuck to the mayo, and chilled til cold and crisp.

oe god, my dad loved mashed taters, buiscuits n vegtables. n sourcrout n weenies, n corn bread. bout it.

It's a good thing we aren't eating the first batch of sour cream every time we eat sour cream then, huh sperglord?

My great-grandmother used to buy those mesh baggies of pungent ass white onions at the grocery store. With every meal, she'd cut off a good 1/4 to 1/3 wedge, not to be cooked with the food, but just so she could occasionally pick it up and take a huge bite out of it. She always had chronic onion breath because of it.

my grandmother is a korean restaurant founder/head chef. she's a self made millionaire. excellent cook.

she orders steak well done at restaurants.

The fish thing was basically clarified in the Second Vatican Council as saying you don't HAVE to eat fish on Friday as it was just a specific form of penance for some people for whom eating red meat every day was a big deal (flyovers, basically). Other forms of penance were also acceptable, not necessarily even dietary.

But yeah reactionary tards who think that Mass should always be in Latin will go out of their way to show that they reject the official policy of the Church, which in their minds makes them Real Catholics™ even though doing this literally puts them on the same level in the eyes of God as nondenominational megachurch scum from the Bible Belt.

That's sad. Why wouldn't they make her any,

I used to eat that with crushed rusk and sugar on hot summer days.