He cooked the macaroni in the heavy cream

>he cooked the macaroni in the heavy cream
how can one person be so fat, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6jjvJS6c3co
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Being fat is not the pressing issue here OP.

Explain.

Aren't you suppose to? Don't you use it to make the the roux?

res

>2017
>not baking cauliflower substitute "mac" and cheese in a mini-muffin pan

I don't see why you'd need an explanation.

Eating paint chips would do that to you.

>americans make roux with double cream

>caring about health when preparing a dish as inherently decadent and unhealthy as mac and cheese
>not going absolutely all out and getting the maximum enjoyment from your indulgence

kys

>not understanding that decadent dishes are an occasional treat for people who aren't fat

>being this incredibly retarded

>being fat

Wut

See, the thing is people eat this garbage when it is served to them by fat people just to be polite. People who aren't fat understand there is no place for this kind of shit in their lives except when they are trying to be polite to fat people. There is no loss, because there are literally tens of thousands of dishes that actually taste better that don't make people fat. The difference is that fat people refuse to eat anything that won't make them fat, because they believe it doesn't taste good. Mostly because they won't give any overly fattening food a chance.

Okay.

i think the post you're replying too post displays a clear understanding of that

Whatever, fatty!

Roux is just fat and flour.
You are thinking of Bechamel

"Fat" is a state of mind.

*eats your path*

Damn! The american consumer looks like THAT?!

So you represent all skinny people, then? You know for a fact that all skinny people actually secretly hate ice cream and mac 'n' cheese, and that they only eat it in front of fat people? Cause I'm pretty sure my job right now is to serve ice cream to gaggles of basic bitches.
Also you write like an autist.

Yup, that's him. The American Consumer.

Okay okay everyone chill the fuck out
To the mac n cheese purists, how do you make mac n cheese properly?

T H I C C

kek

I made alfredo by melting parmasan in heavy cream. It was fucking delicious but yeah, heavy cream is fattening as all hell. 50 calories per tablespoon and you use about a cup per serving so that's 800 calories in cream alone. Some of the cream evaporates but I don't know if the calories go away.

The standard recipe would be to make a roux with flour and oil (or butter). Whisk milk into the roux to make a bechamel. Then you'd melt grated cheddar cheese into the bechamel. You would then combine that sauce with cooked pasta. If you want to make the "baked" variant, you put that into a casserole dish, top it with breadcrumbs, and bake it in a hot oven.

Another method (and my personal favorite) is to use cheeses that melt well on their own. That lets you skip the bechamel process entirely. Use cheese like fontina, gouda, gruyere....or even blue cheese. Those melt well. To make the sauce you simply put some heavy cream in a pot. Melt the cheese into the cream and whisk it together.

My personal favorite is to use a 50/50 mix of smoked gouda and gruyere. I add crumbled bacon and sauteed diced portabello mushrooms to the sauce. I cook the pasta a little bit less than al dente. Add the cheese sauce, breadcrumbs on top, and then finish it under the broiler. The pasta finishes cooking while the top browns.

Only the water will evaporate for the most part so you won't reduce the calories by any detectable amount.

damn nigga that's some expensive af mac n cheese you're making

trips, agreed, but also worthy of being described as

>decadent

Tbh, I never even made a roux, so I'm not too fancy myself.

It's still remarkably cheap per serving. The cheese is the only expensive part, and it's really not that bad. Maybe 6-7 bucks for enough to use up a whole pound of pasta? The pasta costs a dollar, and you only need a splash of cream.

And heck, those cheeses are no more expensive than good cheddar is.

he looks like even more of a dungeon creature with his hat off

Are you seriously bullying the King?

...and if you want to go all out and add the bacon and the mushrooms you really don't need much of either of those. 3-4 strips of bacon and a handful of mushrooms is enough.

>Tbh, I never even made a roux, so I'm not too fancy myself.

Nothing fancy or expensive about a roux bro.

I'm only familiar with curry roux, is it basically the flavor 'base' of the mac that you make?

Curry roux is "normal roux" plus a bunch of spices.

A plain roux is just flour and a fat of some kind. It can be either a source of flavor or a thickener. A roux that has been cooked for a short time is called "blond" because it is light in color. It has very little flavor but is an excellent thickener/emulsifier. That's what you use for mac and cheese because the goal is to stop the cheddar cheese from separating when you melt it to make the cheese sauce.

The longer you cook a roux the darker in color it becomes. The darker it is then the stronger its flavor becomes, and it becomes LESS effective as a thickener/emulsifier. Cajun gumbo usually uses a dark roux. In that dish it is very important for flavor. The dark roux doesn't thicken well so gumbo is thickened by either Filé powder or okra.

>Curry roux is "normal roux" plus a bunch of spices.

And speaking of curry roux, it's only ever found in "shortcut" curry recipes, like Japanese instant curry, or the British navy recipe that the Japanese got it from.

In India there are countless dishes which could be called "curry". They do not have any roux at all. Instead the curry sauces are thick and flavorful because they use very large amounts of spices, and there are a lot of vegetables in the dish. When cooked low and slow for a long time the vegetables break down. That's where the thickness of the sauce comes from. The flour-and-oil roux the Japanese instant stuff uses is a shortcut replacement for that.

Give me the recipe. That's sounds interesting.

Did you finish high school?

Interesting, thanks for the roux lesson.

>2017
>Not using Heston Blumenthal's no roux cheese sauce.
youtube.com/watch?v=6jjvJS6c3co

It's in there first up

This is probably why he's had about 15 kidney stones since November.

Second-rate chefs have no place in threads about the King of Veeky Forums.