/smg/ - Stock Market General

Green as fuck edition

Popular brokers for stock trading:
Robinhood
>commission free and no minimum to open
robinhood.com

> How is it free?
Robinhood earns revenue by collecting interest on cash/securities and fees from their Robinhood Gold service

> It's been X days, why isn't my account verified yet?
Not being approved in 3 days seems to be the new norm. Nevertheless, call/email their support if you've been waiting more than that.

> When is it coming to my country?
The only "plans" are on an Australian and Chinese beta. Neither of which has gained much traction.

Interactive Brokers
>$1 commission per 100 shares. $10k minimum to open, $3k if 25 or under. Lowest margin interest. Free API access
interactivebrokers.com

TD Ameritade
>$6.95 commission per trade. No minimum to open. Fantastic data/charting through their free ThinkorSwim service
tdameritrade.com

Degiro (Cheap broker for Europeans)
degiro.eu

Free in depth charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Movers:
nasdaq.com/extended-trading/premarket-mostactive.aspx

Earnings Report Calendar:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Previous

Attached: 1506536066300.png (646x700, 145K)

Crash it.

Thx trump for the trade war victory

Attached: IMG_0351[1].png (750x1334, 175K)

He sold. Raise the ask for tomorrow.

Attached: BogCall.jpg (540x378, 34K)

Who here bought the /Ko/ dip?

Attached: c1dd10de046327a8d602d2896dfcb3661d2893ab_hq.jpg (480x531, 31K)

Today was Just institution buying back shares and shorts covering.

tomorrow is commercial buying and institutional dumping.

>Portfolio down $5000 on friday
>Portfolio up $3000 today, even though market is higher than start of friday

My delta is fucked.

I have my normie ACWI ETFs and I am glad that today I was still holding them.

Yeah, I'm still not buying this bounce back yet. The market has been unusually low volume. Needs a few more days to really establish a trend.

been saying the same thing. way too fucking quiet. im fully convinced that this run today was on the backs of hungry retail bulls, and that the big guys were for whatever reason, completely absent

Buy Chegg you twinks

Attached: chegg-logo-500x500.jpg (500x500, 16K)

Big guys want to see a better established trend. One day bounce off a deep red day isn't sufficient.

but its been like this since last week

Yes. Volatility is keeping a lot of money on the sidelines.

big guys create the trends

> bought high on Thursday
> sold low today
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1522072270272.jpg (720x960, 82K)

what TEUM? ER tomorrow

i also think the fact that this week is a holiday week is playing into it too. seems the only people trading on short weeks are retail. thats why im still unsure if the market wants to keep bearing down on us or not.

Are we seriously sitting here FUDding a fucking 670pt gain? Guys, chill the fuck out lol

sure. i for one, think thats way too much of a gain in one day to call it a healthy market. and on the backs of low volume, on a holiday week, after tech and financials had their worst week in years.

suddenly having literally the greenest day ever in trading history right after that does not sit well with me. at all

They're going to wait and FOMO when we're up another 10%

happens literally after every sharp correction you nigger
>in trading history
not even close

Stocks Jump in Best Day Since [August] 2015 as Dollar Falls

Attached: HowToPetCow.jpg (728x546, 50K)

regardless it was a fuckhuge bounce. and easily the biggest in years. also, i still maintain that this isnt a correction, we are entering a bear market in equities.

Holy shit i should have all inned on RHT REE

Finally had a green day after 9 straight days of red. Was at $5.1k March 12. Clawing my way back to 5k

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-26-15-01-23.png (1440x2880, 231K)

>5k down to $800
are you memeing right now

I am interested in getting into the stock market but have never tried anything in it before. I have been trading crypto since June.. asides the crazy volatility crypto has, what are the main differences you would say??

no memeing here, just put it in an index fund.
you're clearly terrible at this

I picked a helluva time to get partially out of crypto and dabble in the market. Mr Toad's wild ride.

Attached: 1517890603311.gif (380x201, 236K)

If that would be true then there would be closed factories and riots in the streets...

>2015
wow its nothing

its more probable that we enter a bull market or consolidation easily before a bear market, thats deluded as fuck, do you realize how rare bear markets are?

Trades are generally more costly, so you trade with lower frequency.

A common scheme is just to HODL an ETF tracking a performance index like S&P 500 or the ACWI for 30 years.

nope, lost a bunch on spy calls

Jesus christ man, stocks aren't your game.

Details please for learning.

nah man I'm gonna make it back with options

Attached: robinhood1.jpg (746x383, 22K)

>gonna make it back with options

You gonna make it back by taking a step back and earn some money on the job, as stocks are clearly not your thing.

Attached: 1496773674349.png (504x302, 97K)

Attached: robinhood2.png (1440x2880, 204K)

Jesus Christ...

Attached: BS6tN.jpg (345x346, 22K)

Can someone explain how something like UDOW works? Its 3 times leverage of the DOW and has made 359% over the past 5 years. What's the catch? The only thing i could think of is that if the DOW list 33% of it's value you'd get liquidated or something.

>I'm gonna make it back with options

Attached: 1507717109061.png (727x727, 614K)

He likely bought high risk contracts and couldn't sell them before expire. He didn't have enough money to exercise the option so he lost big

I also have a Tastyworks account for playing SPX options. Went from $60 to $120 today scalping SPX 0 days. Wish I would have just kept one SPX call I bought in the morning for $45 that was worth $1400 at close

Post trade history please

*Lost

All beware of the power of betting heavy on options

You will be a rich man or a poor man by expire.

Easy come, easy go.

BASEDbook
>he fell for the FB fud
Im using these gains to buy a bottle of gin

Attached: facebook.png (465x762, 38K)

yes if the dow loses 33% of its value your etf goes to zero. also you can lose money even if the dow remains flat or goes up due to slippage. you lose more money the more volatile the dow is and we're in a volatile market now.

eg, the dow goes down 6% then up 7% your 3x etf just lost money even though the dow is up overall

If the Dow loses 33% then you got (1-0.33)^3 = 30.07% remaining. Already that you do not know how leverage works means that you should step back before you lose your life savings because of a meme derivative and instead buy a book to understand how it works.

Attached: 1516129243212.png (653x566, 23K)

I would need like 10 screenshots to fit them all in

Attached: CDF333A5-6458-46C0-AF71-D694E2E79298.png (610x343, 236K)

tfw poorfag just trying to turn 100 dollars into something more.

Realistically how long should it take for me to double my money? A month or two with the right all in approach? or do i spread it around and hope for the best?

im just playing poorfag stocks at the moment trying to score a couple bucks here and there a day.

Attached: 1511452103165.jpg (657x527, 37K)

No, if it goes down 6% down then 7% up you get:

DOW: 0.94*1.07 = 1.0058, i.e. 0.58% up
UDOW: 0.94^3*1.07^3 = 1.017, i.e. 1.7% up

Attached: 1513648511814.jpg (645x729, 81K)

Get out now. This pumped up price will not survive, even if they beat. Sell now and wait to pick up cheaper on Thursday/Friday.

Here are my trades from Tastyworks today

Attached: tastyworks3.26trading.jpg (1076x418, 95K)

>Amount: 158.01
>Fees: 35.998

Am I in the meme dimension in this thread or what is going on?

Attached: 1511879352366.jpg (240x240, 14K)

Thanks

How long do you WANT it to take you to double your money? And how ballsy and risky are you?

>tastyworks

Attached: 1506219293630.jpg (1024x1024, 66K)

How do you figure out how much to hedge in options? 2-4% seems reasonable, but is there some math that makes it easier to decide?

Say I own 300 shares of microsoft, do I hedge with 3 options contracts or is it just whatever risk you want.

Can't trade SPX on Robinhood

If doubling your money was easy everyone would be doing it. There's no method of guaranteeing scoring a couple of bucks a day because sometimes you gain and sometimes you lose.

I just go all in options no shares. Shares only limit gains thank you very much

i mean realistically i would like to do it ASAP. I can hold stocks if i see the potential but im looking for quick money makers off day trades.

And its 100 dollars...im not going to cry to sleep if i lose it all so im pretty ballsy with it.

This is true, but longer term it is nice to have the underlying equities. I made a bunch buying puts on facebook last week (probably will tommorrow too), but I dont want to actually own that toxic stock. I guess in a real market dump I can buy puts on a valuable stock and exercise the option for discounts

what do you mean by spx? the sp cfd? the leveraged etf of the sp?

udow, leverage 3x, leverage style "daily resetting"

meaning it will go to zero if dow drops over 33% intraday. not over time.

etf daily resetting leverage is not SAME AS traditional leverage such as cfd leverage

Attached: 1496790957085.jpg (3000x4080, 925K)

You hedge your risks by not investing in a single company, bucko

Attached: 1510950294385.jpg (642x800, 95K)

VTGN should be a safe buy right now. Sell it when it gets back to $1.20 or $1.30

but they dont let the dow drop that much, its impossible

historically 33% has never happened you are right

at 4-5x leverage drag will be too much to handle for holding

Attached: Clouds+Sils+Maria+Press+Conference+67th+Annual+AdSqnCY9bTRl.jpg (411x594, 65K)

Did you just (((they)))?

its easier to do with leveraged cfds sure but youll just find a pattern
like Natgas Long $5 point and Natgas short $2 point

I dont mean historically, it has dropped that much before, I mean today they just shut down the market via circuit breaker

Holy shit.

I mean technically, its the Fed or goverment that stops the market from crashing, they wont let it happen

Have we had a crash with leveraged ETFs in as much play as they are now?

It would be a very bad day. My conspiracy theory hat thinks that we are watching a planned release of bullmania right now to prevent this and de-lever the economy. If this is on purpose they are literally saving the free market. BUT THATS JUST A THERORY, A MEME THEORY

I hate to say it, but we have to thank /pol/ for this one. Last week was clear setup for a deliberate politicized crash, but weaponized autists sniffed out the game and memed up some insurance. (((they))) saw the danger of exposure and called it off.

Attached: 1513783408113.gif (1027x731, 111K)

>big guys create the trends

Attached: 1520282909114.gif (307x292, 2.69M)

How is daily resetting leverage different from regular leverage. I guess neither is good for long term holds

Your trading frequency is actually proof you're making emotional decisions and not logical ones.

Is it worth it to get robinhood gold? I don't see why not at the price per month is peanuts, but is it what you guys use? Asking for a friend.

no dow has never dropped over 30% on a single day.

I have bigger fears that the whole market becomes more and more correlated, as more private and institutional investors are buying into ETFs which track performance indices. So we will see only days where everything goes up or everything goes down.

yeh man get the +6k and yolo everything in F :)

I may be new to stocks but mamma ain't raised no sucka.

regular leverage you'll have stop loss at 2x leverage = 50% drop for example

daily resetting you dont. each daily returns are simply multiplied by your leverage wether it's 2x, 3x, or 10x

sorry I misread

There are daily resetting etf's for dow and such

and then there are monthly and 3 month resetting

do you really not know what SPX is lol. It's the S&P 500

you said it wasnt on robinhood , which it is, hence why Im confused

SPX is the actual S&P 500 Index while SPY is a S&P 500 Index. SPX options cost 10x more than SPY and with SPX 60% of your gains are taxed as long term and 40% as short term

your math is wrong lmao. That's not how its calculated.

Start $100.
Index down 6% on first day. ETF promises 3x, so that's -18%.
You now have $82.
Index up 7% on second day. ETF promises 3x, so that's +21%.
You now have $99.22

Assuming no slippage. That's how rebalancing works.

>^3
wait what that doesn't sound right isnt 3x of 6% 18%
admittedly I haven't read the prospectus but still

nigger that doesnt make sense
60% of gains taxed? In what country are you in? Netherlands?

Attached: 1477798779885.jpg (1024x904, 101K)

Not taxed at 60%. But 60% of the gains are taxed at the long term tax rates.

*SPY is a S&P 500 ETF