Is there a more satisfying breakfast?

Is there a more satisfying breakfast?
A more satisfying meal period?

Other urls found in this thread:

vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories
thefoodiescompanion.blogspot.com/2012/09/food-history-casserole.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where's the "like" button?

The only people eating this are Amerifats. And sought now in Ameriland, it's pic related.

>Replying to your own thread and pretending this is facebook.

Cat vomit, how delicious.

>meal between breakfast and dinner
So lunch...

>only Americans eat gravy

Bitch please. The only difference is that they eat it on shitty biscuits, people all around Europe eat gravy with mashed potatoes and other shit.

Most satisfying breakfast? Yes

Most satisfying meal, period? No, but respectable

A meal between dinner and breakfast not breakfast and dinner

>Breakfast
>Lunch
>Dinner
Fourthmeal
>Breakfast the following day
>etc.

>shitty biscuits
Maybe you do

Is this chicken pot pie biscuits? Looks kinda good

this. looks really good. what is it?

It's farm food - super heavy dishes for people who burned off 4000+ calories a day. It's tasty, but if you're not doing physical labor all day meals like this are practically comic overkill. But I understand how people who live in places where everyone was a farmer a couple generations ago are nostalgic for foods like this. But few of us live lifestyles that would allow us to eat like early 20th Century American farmers on any kind of regular basis without getting fat as fuck.

exercise and labor has practically little to no effect on how many calories you burn tho.

not directly, but they increase muscle mass and increased muscle pass results in more calories being burned whether or are exercising or not

inb4 Veeky Forums

>Skinny McSkellington and Chad Bodybuilder both burn the same amount of calories!
Nah, you're just a fucking idiot.

In our world exercise hardly burns claories because people don't labor anything like they did back then. 13 hours a day of early 20th Century farm work burned over 4000 calories a day. That's why farmers of three generations ago could eat like they did and stay skinny. But people who eat even remotely like that today end up obese. Because there's practically no way in the modern world to live a life that bruns that many calories.

intradasting. I am actually trying to learn about muscle mass specifically and how it works. trying to drop about 20 pounds so I've been reading. I plan on exercising anyway but how does building muscle mass burn calories?

>exercise and labor has practically little to no effect on how many calories you burn tho.
Are you retarded?

If you have more muscle mass, you burn more calories at rest than someone with less mass. It's that simple.

there's a difference between dropping weight and turning it into muscle mass. bodybuilders don't drop weight, they turn it into muscle.

that was the idea, but it's a myth. a guy did a study about this actually. here...
vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

I x-country skied 25 km yesterday. Are you telling me I burned the same amount of calories as someone sleeping?

And you burn more calories at rest when you have a bunch of muscle on you.
Think with the big head.

I mean I'm not going to argue reality with you, but yes, almost. you burned a somewhat negligible amount compared to a guy who ate the same food and went to work at a desk job until he went home.

This.

My great grandfather ran his own mill, cutting down the trees with a two-person hand saw. He ate pancakes, bacon, biscuits, and gravy every day and was thin as can be.

Sometimes I wish I had some brutally hard job just so I could put on muscle and eat whatever the fuck I wanted every day.

that's why I asked the other user about muscle mass, I don't know much about it. I don't know why you guys are being so condescending, I just wanted to know how it works. I can look it up or you could discuss it like I'm trying to right now.

how do you burn more calories at rest if you have more muscle mass? I genuinely curious

>I mean I'm not going to argue reality with you, but yes, almost. you burned a somewhat negligible amount compared to a guy who ate the same food and went to work at a desk job until he went home.
You're retarded and don't understand thermodynamics.

Because you should fuck off and ask Veeky Forums this shit instead, or look up a scholarly article instead of asking people on a Cantonese bass fishing board.

relax fatty

jesus christ, guy. calm down. all I did was reply to a guy in the thread one single time. it's all of you that decided to chimp out. I've never seen Veeky Forums so triggered.

If you like gravy and biscuits I recommend trying biscuits with tomato gravy, which is basically just canned tomatoes cooked in bacon grease with some salt. I love it just as much if not better than regular gravy.

Why are you talking about both biscuits and gravy? The op contains neither.

Why is your stew and dumplings yellow?

According to the 1923 Farm Belt State Survey Kansas farmers consumed an average of 4385 cal/day, ang Missouri farmers 4989 cal/day.

If you're eating like that sausage gravy over biscuits is just a drop in the bucket. May as well have a piece of pie for dessert. But if you're running on a 2000 cal/day diet there isn't really a place for either of those foods.

Stop being autistic.

That's not "stew", it's country gravy aka sawmill gravy with pork sausage chunks in it.

Those aren't dumplings, they're southern-style biscuits. Perhaps you might know them better as savory scones?

>It's not food.

Man, they got that right.

That's not how gravy works.

Your shitposting doesn't even make sense.

Back to /b/ you go.

A more American atrocity against nutritional education? I think not

Again, these high calorie rural dishes are staples from a century ago. They are delicious, but really don't have much of a place in a 21st Century diet (unless you're hugely obese). But in the past they served the purpose of getting a lot of calories into hardworking farm people.

>don't have much of a place in a 21st Century diet
Other than as something that tastes good? Practice moderation and spare us your puritanical tripe please.

That's just wrong though, any activity your body does has a caloric expense. Someone who just exists for 24 hours vs someone who works out for several hours a day are going to have very different caloric expenditures. I really can't believe I have to explain this to you.

You're genuinely retarded if you don't understand how this works

Nigga what

t. personal trainer

What? It is so insanely difficult to make.... making dough takes fucking forever, I don't have the time for it.
How on earth do you carve out so much time just to prep fucking food? Do you still live at home?
Just because a meal is delicious does NOT mean that it's necessarily satisfying... moron.

is not country gravy with pork sausage in it. It is not breakfast biscuits and sausage gravy. If it were, it would not have peas and carrots and corn in it. It IS yellow because it is chicken gravy and biscuits with vegetables, similar to a pot pie.

>exercise and labor has practically little to no effect on how many calories you burn tho.

>I don't have the time for it.

Sure you do. you just choose to spend it on other things.

Also, a lot of people buy frozen biscuits or pre-made dough and then just toss them in the oven. Not as good as making it 100% from scratch, but it's an option if you're in a rush.

It takes around 20 minutes to make the biscuits from nothing but flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, milk and butter and that includes the baking time. While they are baking you can cook up the ground breakfast sausage and use the fat from it to make the roux and add in the dairy and make it into gravy. If 20 minutes on a meal like that all home made is "insanely difficult to make" then I just don't know.

>Other than as something that tastes good?
There are plenty of other foods that taste good without packing a late 19th Century farmhouse level of calorie punch.
>Practice moderation
Agreed. But if I'm gonna eat foods that require me to practice moderation I can do much better than old fashioned American farmhouse cooking. If you're gonna indulge then indulge in style. Pic related.

Nope. There is not. Southernfag here and this shit is legit.

Fucking huddle house, I can tell by the damn plate

I don't even like runny yolks, but I do know that I would eat that up!

I know running/weightlifting only burns like 400 calories maximum unless you're exercising literally all day. But I think it also has a huge effect on your metabolism. I went for a 4 month neet period where I didn't leave my room once, only eating one meal a day and I gained a bit of weight. I think my metabolism was extremely low because I wasn't moving at all. Just getting outside for like half an hour and moving around returns it to normal. I'm no expert but that's what I experienced.

Muh dik

How do I get my eggs like this?

t. scrambled egg babby

>canadian
>go to florida for vacation
>hotel offers biscuits and gravy
>expect the normal looking, brown, tasty gravy on a warm biscuit
>get a cold one with this chowder shit

wtf is wrong with you people.

it's called buttermilk you nigger and it's fuarkin yummy

>400 calories maximum

Exercise burns calories every minute you do it. If you do it for 3 hours you burn 3x as many calories as if you did it for 1 hour. There is no such thing as a "limit" beyond the time in a day.

That's what I mean though. A normal person spends an hour at the gym, there isn't enough time to spend 3 hours at a gym for most people. So the trip to the gym might burn 400 calories, maybe 200 depending on what they did and their intensity.

Leave now.

I've never made gravy before. Is it literally the grease from fatty meat mixed with flour and milk? Basically you take the fat from whatever meat you ate and put it on biscuits? Why not just leave the fat on the meat and enjoy the fatty meat?

Looks like eggs over easy, which are cooked like normally fried sunny side up, but then flipped over briefly, then flipped back to serve.

You can also get the surface of the egg more solidified without flipping it by putting a lid on the frying pan, to trap in heat to cook the top of the eggs more.

Either approach is useful if you like runny yolks, but are grossed out by slimy egg whites.

Chicken and Biscuits

1 bag frozen mixed veggies
2 cups cooked chicken
1 can biscuits
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of potato soup
Half cup milk
Spices used:
Salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, and poultry seasoning
Mix and pour it into a casserole dish. Put biscuits on top and cook at 375 for 20 minutes

OP's pic is probably in the 400 calorie range.

>>frozen
>>cans
>>cooked chicken being cooked again

What's wrong with you?

>putting raw chicken into a casserole
I would ask you the same thing

I'd prefer to avoid making a casserole in the first place. They're retarded. Let's take a bunch of stuff with different cooking times, slap it into an oven and overcook the piss out of it!

...but since you asked, if it were me I'd sear the chicken in a pan first to get it nicely browned. That will have the side effect of cooking it partway, and leaving the chicken hot so it will carryover-cook further while I fuck around with assembly the casserole. I would start assembling the casserole using a pre-heated dish. That would allow it to spend less time in the oven. Only a few minutes would be needed to heat it through, at which point the chicken will be done, rather than being overcooked by however long it would be in the oven.

But ideally there would be no casserole at all. Make the gravy from scratch (it's dirt fucking simple--just flour, fat, and milk). Grill, broil, or saute the chicken. (or if you prefer, do that first and add it to the gravy like you would sausage crumbles) Biscuits on the side.

Fair enough
You do know casseroles were made in the first place so the the stay at home mom could use left over food from the week to make a easy simple meal to stretch out the family's food budget?
Right?

I'll give you easy and simple, but otherwise I disagree. They were pushed hard by companies in the 1950's and 60's in order to sell more canned goods and bagged frozen veggies. The recipes were printed as ads in magazines and on the backs of cans and just so happened to call for specific brands of product (all made by the company publishing the ad, of course).

...notice that the above casserole recipe (>>) is nearly all newly purchased food, except perhaps for the chicken. The cream of X soup, the canned biscuits, and the frozen veggies were the products that the "recipe ad" was trying to get you to buy.

A housewife trying to feed a family on a budget wouldn't be buying canned food in the first place, at that time it was an expensive luxury convenience.

Feed a family on a budget? That would be making bread/biscuits from scratch. Rice and beans. In-season fresh veggies. Leftovers. Cheap cuts of meat including offal.

Look we can both be right, user.

>They provided economical, communal sustenance during the depressions of the 1890's and 1930's and the scarcity of food items during both World Wars. In the 1950's, smaller home kitchens, the availability of light weight ovenproof cookware and the greater availability of canned foods ( eg., Campbell Soup Company's Creamed soup line; celery, chicken, mushroom, broccoli, cheddar cheese, etc) made the casserole a simple, easy and cheap way to use leftover foods to serve the whole family. As a matter of fact, Campbell emphasized the great casserole potential of these soups and that contributed to the mass mass appeal of these dishes to the public and to the explosion of casserole dishes the 1950's.

thefoodiescompanion.blogspot.com/2012/09/food-history-casserole.html

I appreciate you taking the time to dig that up, but I would challenge the author of that.

As I posted above, there's nothing economical about canned or frozen foods, especially at that time when canning and home refrigeration was new and costly.

Though perhaps the original casseroles (prior to the 1950s) were made with scratch ingredients and leftovers rather than commercial products? That would certainly be economical. It's only the inclusion of name-brand products that's costly, not the general idea of a casserole.

No, gravy is a reduction made from the meat and vegetable brownings of a roast and stock/beer/red wine.

The thing in op is not a gravy but a variation on a bechamel.

Congratulations on winning the dumbest post in the thread award.

you need more calories to keep your body running lke breathing or heart beating so if you eat as many cals as u did at 150 but have 20lbs more of muscle youll be leaner

ask for over medium so the whites arent slimmy and the yolk is viscous like honey

That's one kind of gravy.

Any kind of sauce that's made with a base of drippings is called gravy.

OP's example is made from the drippings of the sausage meat so it is also gravy, just a different kind than that you'd make for a roast dinner. There are many kinds of gravy.

kek even beating this one:

>casseroles (prior to the 1950s) were made with scratch ingredients

I would imagine this. For example the abominable baked chicken casserole with rice, raw chicken, canned cream of chicken, cream of celery and cream of mushroom soup. I make a version using brown rice, onions, celery, garlic, hot peppers, homemade stock, a roux of butter and flour, and brown the chicken first, that is cheap, healthy and flavorful.

Yeah, I never really got the appeal of eating it cold.

>Though perhaps the original casseroles (prior to the 1950s) were made with scratch ingredients and leftovers rather than commercial products?
They were, and were heavily promoted by the US government during the Depression. The idea was to promote milk as a way to get some nutrition into people who couldn't afford meat. The home economists behind this were mostly WASP women, so the result was creamy sauces everywhere. Including crazy shit like creamed spaghetti with carrots.

jeeeeez

What's for desert and your meal between breakfast and lunch, fatass?

>Either approach is useful if you like runny yolks, but are grossed out by slimy egg whites.
aka don't know how to cook a sunny side up.

t. guy who flips his eggs, because he hasn't mastered the sunny side up

> Using an anime pic
Man you're a fag

Simply having more muscle literally burns calories by doing nothing. It's awesome.

Yes, any amount of physical activity (30 minutes a day is recommended bare minimum) will do wonders for your metabolism. Doing nothing for long periods of time will fucking kill you quite literally.

It's called country gravy, you inner city hipster.

>ITT: A bunch of anons bitching about homemade sausage gravy on homemade biscuits who, if they tried it once, would think it was equivalent to their first sexual experience.

Only if your first sexual experience was with your cousin.

I've got some pretty hot cousins.

Remember they ain't for marryin'.You'll get chin-less bulgy-eyed kids.

Myth. There are numerous cultures that permit marriage between first cousins. Sisters, not so much, unless you're talking about English royalty.

There is literally nothing wrong with having kids with your first cousin. Having kids after 30 carries a higher risk than fucking your first cousin.

The incest thing is only an issue if it's generation after generation of cousins fucking cousins.

When you jump to the defense of marrying your cousin... you might be a redneck.

I don't know what you're talking about. I'd only have sex with my cousin if she liked biscuits and sausage gravy. That doesn't seem white trash to me.

It is.