Homemade pet food

Do you cook for your pet?

no, but if i buy a chicken i'll give my dog a wing

I share fish dinners with kot

Yep, I'm actually in the process this morning of making my grocery list for my dog's food. I also, though, always keep a small bag of grain-free dog food in the house in case I've run out. Making her food is cheaper than buying the grain free food, and she likes it better as well, because she thinks she's getting people food, since I cook it. My dog is 9 years old and in perfect health (other than some tartar on her back teeth), and I plan on keeping her in great health as long as possible. She's the best dog I've ever had. She just had a full checkup and even the vet was impressed at how healthy she is.

What do you usually cook for ver? Can I ser her grocery list?

Sure, let me finish the list up and then I'll post it.
I make a couple different kinds of food for her, and alternate them. One is a Fish and Sweet Potato mix (with other things added) and the other is a Chicken or Lamb/Goat (depending on if I can find cheap lamb or goat) with other stuff added. I'll post back in a minute, I'm eating my breakfast while I make the list.

Pics of doggers?

Thanks. Do you have any tips? Any trial and error experiences? I've only begun researching cooking for my dogger because I'm getting the vibe that she is sick of her dry kibbles. I'm also hoping homemade dog food is a positive fiscal option.

The only time I cook for my dog is when I'm grilling. I usually get something just for him so that he can have a treat, usually just a cheap cut of some pork or beef. Last time we shared some lamb. Pic related

That looks super good, user.
Mind sharing how you marinated it?

Whenever I have cereal I have to prepare some in a separate dish for my cat.

>he gives cooked meat to his dog

That is wrong user.

Okay, here we go.

Fish (canned salmon and sardines – fresh salmon heads when available or scraps from when we fish for salmon and trout)
Sweet potatoes (orange or garnet)
Green peas or Green beans and/or Broccoli, cooked (but not overcooked)
Blueberries and cranberries (I buy frozen)
Apples
Optional : Instant potato flakes if the food is too wet and needs a binder, but make sure they're just made from potatoes, nothing else
Fish oil (about 2 tablespoons per batch)
Yakult (the little probiotic drinks)

Chicken (dark meat is cheaper and healthier for the dog) OR lamb or goat if you can find it cheap enough
Sweet Potatoes (orange or garnet)
Green pea or Green beans and/or Broccoli, lightly cooked
Blueberries and cranberries (you can also use powdered cranberry like they sell in the vitamin sections if you can find it cheap enough, but it's good for their urinary tract)
Apples
Again, Optional potato flakes if you need a binder
Fish oil
Yakult
Optional: rosemary

Bake the sweet potatoes and scrape out into a bowl. For the fish based food, if you're using canned fish, you don't need to do anything but mix it in. If you're using fresh fish, you'll want to poach it until done and mash it. Then you basically mix everything together into a chunky mash, except the Yakult. I fee her 2 cups a day, and for every serving, I mix in ½ of one of those little Yakult bottles (dogs need probiotics too).
For the chicken or meat based food, you obviously have to cook the meat, however you like. Adding rosemary to the meat when you cook it is good for dogs, as it's antibacterial. Then you'd just follow the same recipe as the other.
Add salt to taste, dogs need a little salt in their diet as well, but stay away from other seasonings like pepper, etc.
Spinach is also a good ingredient, you just need to chop it and wilt it first.
If you have access to game, like venison, or cheap beef, that's a nice change that your dog will appreciate.

This is the first pic that popped up, but I have nicer ones, lol.

That's a nice lookin dugger.

Nice dog user!

Cats are a waste of oxygen.

I cook for my doggo she has a sensitive stomach, we tried dozens of dog foods but they all made her sick and bloated.

I mix a variety every two weeks of these items in a large slowcooker. I use a food processor or hand blender to make her food into a kind of slop. She has trouble digesting larger chunks of carrot or potato so I have to be careful (because shes a small dog beagle)

3 Cups Protein from meat:
Beef or chicken liver, chicken hearts (other organ meats are good for doggos and cheap)
Chicken thighs (because they’re cheap, skin removed and bone out)
Sometimes a small amount of pork or lamb if I have it, Never a lot of pork or beef meat though
Canned tuna, sardines or salmon (in water only no oil or other stuff)

3 cups Protein from other sources:
Eggs (occasionally I use quail or duck eggs but they can be expensive)
Beans (black or kidney or really any)
Lentils
Chick peas
Cottage cheese

6 cups Carbs:
Brown rice or white rice (make sure thoroughly cooked so the dog can digest it)
Potatoes, regular russet or Sweet potatoes for extra nutrients
Oats, quinoa, pastas(plane or whole grain)
Shredded wheat

4.5 cups Veggies:
Spinach
Carrots
Bok choy
Bean sprouts
Frozen peas
Green beans
Cabbage (good for digestion)

(depends on dog size batch size or what the dog needs)Supplements/other:
Couple capsules of cod liver oil depending on dogs size/batch size
Doggo multivitamins
Egg shells that have been milled to powder (can also use calcium supplements dogs require a LOT of calcium)
Couple teaspoons ground fennel

Thanks, she a good one. Smart as a whip, too. I adopted her as a puppy, so I don't know exactly what kind of mix she is, but there's obviously terrier in there. The vet thinks there may be some lab and some poodle too, because that curly white hair she has around and on top of her head doesn't shed and is super soft, but the rest of her hair is wiry terrier hair and straight short black hair.

This is my doggo, her fur used to be horribly bristley to, this home made diet has made her fur supper shiny and soft

My dogs get boiled chicken regularly and they go nuts over it, I guess just having any kind of real meat is delicious compared to their dog food

They get fruits and veggies a lot too, they love mostly any kind, but especially blueberries

Thanks. No marinade, just salt and a peppercorn mixture

>georgecostanzaface.png

>Cats are a waste of oxygen
Slightly less than u tho

What is the usual cost of feeding your dog for the month?
I want to get a dog when I get my own place and I want to be able to feed him well but I'm worried about not being able to afford it.

Depends on the size of the dog and what you have accesses to, if you buy bulk of dry items like oats and rice, and bulk eggs and cheap organ meats it shouldnt be to much more expensive then dry food.

I feed my 22 pound beagle for about 50-60$ a month shes about 40$ to feed on dry bagged food

Protip, purse rats eat less than bearsized ones. Also true for gfs.

my dog is 10lbs and eats less than $25 worth of high quality kibble in a month

My cat is 6 lbs and don't cause me a dime because she mauls and eats all the smaller animals in the area.

Moral is; if poorfag get a cat.

But seriously, don't get a pet at all if you can't afford vet bills. It's a responsibility over more than just it's stomach when you take on a pet. Even if you are too cheap for treatment it also costs to put it down if things go wrong.

Size of the doggo will be the main factor here. You also need to get your dog used to regular ammounts of food as to not turn him into a fat fuck.

kys

My grandma cooks separate meals for all of her pets (she has four cats and a dog). She typically eats worse quality food than they do.

My mom and aunts and uncles give her so much shit for it, but I think it's nice that she cares so much, and the animals are all mostly healthy, if a little fat.

I feel so bad for most of my friends' dogs - all kibbles, all the time. One friend won't even let his dog have scraps - and he's very, very strict on treats outside of training purposes. Super sad.

If I ever get a dog, I'm at least going to feed it wet food (or some kind of a blend of wet and dry).

Raw eggs & my left overs.

Guess how I know you will be a crappy father

>One friend won't even let his dog have scraps

That's a good thing. There's nothing worse than a dog wandering around the kitchen while you're trying to cook or people are eating begging for table scraps.

Because he'll raise shitty little spoiled kids by actually feeding them instead of just throwing them outside to work for their own food

>Even if you are too cheap for treatment it also costs to put it down if things go wrong.

If it comes to that it's time to call "Dr. Ruger". A .22 to the brain costs just a few cents and there is zero suffering involved.

kids and cats are for turboplebs

I guarantee you someone else is having to feed their cate extra cause your sneaks in for a bite.

Feeding them with what? He obviously doesn't plan his life so he'll end up not making end meet and his kids will have dirty tattered clothes and old leftovers from a soup kitchen.

I had a German Shepherd as a kid and I still feel guilty about it to this day.
>never played with her because I was lazy to
>she drank water out of a big tub that had some green algae all over the surface, she seemed to barely ever drink any
>she wouldn't eat dry food, would just leave it and try to trap the pigeons that came for it (killing for sport, it seemed)
>started mixing wet and dry food together and she'd only eat the wet
>only fed her once a day since she wouldn't even touch the food we'd give her in the morning
I still dream about how bad of an owner I was.

Nope. The local fishermen have less cod on their plates because they give her a bit though.

How about a rock? A rock is free.

I heard salmon isn't good for dogs except huskies, is your dog a husky or have you just weaned your dog onto salmon?

i hope your vermin pest gets ripped apart by a plow

Why

>How about a rock? A rock is free.

Free? Yes. But you're pretty much guaranteed to fuck it up and cause suffering. And "cheaper" is irrelevant when we're talking about literal pennies.

There's a big difference in slipping food off your plate at the table, setting an expectation that the dog is going to be eating every time you have food, and maybe giving them a piece of turkey when you make a sandwich for work, or tossing them a fry when you come home with a burger.

Besides, I don't see why people get so angsty about a dog looking at you during a meal. It's a dog. Ignore it. My dog used to stare at me when I watched TV.

If the dog is just sitting there I don't have a problem with it. But if it's making noise or running around under the table, walking from person to person, etc, that's just plain annoying, and it's incredibly rude to make your guests put up with that shit.

As long as it won't make her sick, I give my pup a little bit of whatever I'm eating.

She loves cucumbers and boiled potatoes. I rarely give her meat scraps and bones, since they just gobbles them down and they don't really provide her with any enrichment or entertainment anyway.

Can someone hear explain to me why, according to the internet, so many foods are poisonous for dogs?
Just about anything I google, there's some source that will claim whatever I'm about to feed my dog is going to kill her or at least make her sick. And she really never does get sick, no matter what it is. Why do people think dogs are so sensitive? I've never given her chocolate or onions because I've read convincing literature about why those aren't safe. But things like walnuts, pineapples, tomatoes being "toxic" for dogs? I just don't understand why those are commonly held beliefs.

>There's nothing worse than a dog wandering around the kitchen while you're trying to cook
I can think of about a thousand things that are worse. My dog is my buddy. There are human beings that will also linger around while others cook and look for bits and pieces they can snack on. So go fuck yourself, dog whisperer

>Can someone hear explain to me why, according to the internet, so many foods are poisonous for dogs?

Because those things are literally true.

You just seem to have a wrong interpretation of what "poisonous" means. It doesn't mean that they will fall to the floor dead within seconds of eating the food in question like some kind of silly movie. It means that those foods can make the animal sick if they eat a lot of it, or in worst-case scenario they might die.

Giving your dog a little chocolate is not going to hurt them. But if your dog happens to eat a LOT of it then they could get sick.

If a dog eats a LOT of anything he'll get sick.
If my dog drinks too much water she'll walk around gagging and eventually throw up.
And if she drinks an EXTRA SUPER LOT of water she'll get bloat and die.

Does that mean water is poisonous?

>Does that mean water is poisonous?

If you want to be pedantic about it, yes. We have a saying in the medical field: "the dose makes the poison". Anything is poisonous if enough is consumed.

Anyway: if a small dog were to eat a whole chocolate bar then there's a very high chance that dog will die from theobromide poisoning, though giving the dog a bite of it would probably be harmless.

you can give a dog cooked meat
i wouldnt grill it for him
its best for the meat to be incredibly bland so the best method is to boil it

She's never had a problem eating salmon. She's always loved fish, and before I started making her food, I'd always give her some of my sardines or tuna when I was eating because she'd smell it and beg for it. So salmon's never been an issue, she eats it all the time. I always use oily fish when I make her food - salmon, sardines, mackerel....

Owners should have a place to put their dog if they are having guests over, unless everyone is comfortable with a dog.

I gate off a section of the house when having a larger amount of guests over, and put the dog there.

(Well, when I had a dog. Roommate took it.)

Top tier doggo.

My cat Felix won't eat cooked food at all, I sometimes give him a scrap of meat when I cook though but only if he's patient and waits for me to finish cutting up the meat.

He won't eat wet cat food, any fish flavoured cat food, fresh fish and a bunch of other shit for some reason.

She sure have some terrier traits!
Here is my boy sleeping like a true Airedale.

Kek

Cats are useless and dangerous for our fragile nature.
They should all be gased.

guests that don't like my dog can go fuck themselves. they knew what they were getting into when they came over. i only like dog people

um guys, help

My bird will come investigate just about anything I'm eating. He won't go for the plate though. He'll go straight for the food on my fork.

So yea you could say I cook "for my pet".

>outdoor cat
I love shooting these pests.

Fucking degenerate, outdoor cat are a real plague they all deserve to die a painful death. (Their owners also)

i make a vegetable based gravy and pour it over her kibbles

who /cockatiel/ here?

>cook for your pet
Hahahahahaha!!!!

That was a good done!

Fuck no, It gets kibble and that's it. If it comes down to it and I'm stranded somewhere with him, I've already decided I'm going to eat him.

To be honesty I would probably eat him after like 2 or 3 days of being stranded, He's a dog. I don't value his life like a humans

That's why I don't cook for him

Burn a hole in my pocket so he can appreciate all the intricate flavours with his refined pallette?
No, ofcourse not because im not a mong who thinks dogs are people, it takes him approx 5 seconds to destroy a bowl of dog biscuits/tinned food, the same amount of time it takes him to eat anything that isnt dog food.

>trying this hard

die fag

Stop talking about your shitty worthless dogs you fucking losers.
Go your shit smelling containment board, we don't want you here Hope you dumb dog gets it's head smashed on truck bumper. Maybe then you'd sotp deluding yourself into thinking a dog was your friend or intelligent enough to care about you any way. You are like a child with a stuff animal except you're a fucking adult and you waste time and money on your pathetic fantasy. Pet cucks are scum of society, do you do this because you're too afraid of the effort and complexity inherent to a real relationship with equal being AKA human? Is it some replacement for child you are both incapable and unprepared to have; like all the late 20s single women getting dogs?
Get a grip you fucks.

who hurt you user

Nobody, the real question is who hurt you?
Why do you feel need to project your underdeveloped emotions onto brainless piece of shit dog?

You silly. That's a cat.

>samefag much

Replying to someone isn't samefagging you fucking retard.

I used to cook for my kitty when he was recovering from surgery. He has bad kidneys and so while he was recovering from that, I made him fresh good food and made sure he was well taken care of. He's since gone back to a combination of good wet and dry food, because I find it quite expensive to feed fresh, but he hasn't had any more problems.

I used

Fish fillets, whatever was cheap (catfish, perch, etc), skin removed
Chicken hearts and livers
Dark chicken meat
Fish oil
Peas
Cranberries
Eggs
Ground egg shell or fish bone

I mixed it all together and separated out into a muffin pan, and baked it.

>muh crow
>muh rat

Did a dog piss on you as a child, user? Is that why you're so hurt and angry? Did a cute little doggy piss right in your face?

Yep, it's cheaper & healthier, & I know what goes into it. I buy chicken leg quarters from a Mexican mart near my house for $.50/lb. I do like 6lbs of those, plus some chicken necks, livers, ground beef or pork for taste, carrots, sweet potatoes, & Brown rice. Costs about $10 & lasts for two weeks. I cook the leg quarters & necks down in a crock pot for an hour or so with a cup of water, then debone the legs & count the needle bones to make sure I got all of them out. Then I add the rest of the ingredients & cook for another hour. One pot, easy cleanup, put away in quart containers & freeze the extras. My 2 dogs love this recipe & I've been doing it for almost five years now. Sometimes I'll switch it up & add bacon or cheese for a treat, but they never seem to get tired of the original recipe. Hope this helps!

>not being the protector of cute floofy things
pleb

I give some of my cooked rice to my chickens when it cools down.
I might actually recognize you from /r9k/ buddo. Don't really see you on the doggo threads there much anymore though.

do you add anything for calcium?

holy shit i almost died at this
good shit

i had a little dog that was really old and she didn't have many teeth left, so i had to figure out how to make her food very soft. i made her a very gelatinous meat stock (beef/chicken combo) - it was basically an aspic.

she really liked it. i'd mix it with her other food.

everytime she encountered someone she would try to shake their hand. she was the best dog.

My girlfriends mum has gone crazy and cooks fish for her cat every lunch and thin beef strips for dinner

the cat drinks from a little tea cup with a saucer and is fat as fuck

Agree with you 100% my friend, and I love dogs. I love cute animals who doesn't. But I cannot fucking stand people who treat them as anything other than animals. They're deranged and make me sick, quite honestly.
No I'm not comfortable with you feeding your pet at the table where I'm sitting trying to enjoy my dinner (not that they even ask first). Fuck them.

This, it especially pisses me off when they let their dog run around under and around the table cause they can't be fucked to train the dog not to do that shit.

A couple times a week, I make my dog a meal of boiled chicken, rice and a vegetable. I make it into a sort of chicken and rice soup for her. The vegetables change from broccoli to sweet potato, cucumber, whatever I have that I know she likes. She gets pretty excited when she sees me grab a chicken leg from the fridge.

Chicken back and cracked (lowest quality) rice, and table scraps all boiled together.

Where I am it is 10x cheaper per pound than canned food.

But I would supplement with a little dry dog food to add some crunch and more variety

I got 4 dogs for small time theft prevention

We did for his finicky ass, until the fat deposits made it hard for him to jump. We did find a brand he'll eat though. He's doing much better.