Moka pot

I bought this to make nice coffee.
Tried everything but i always end up with a brown coffee ( which taste like shit ) , what am I doing wrong ?

Are you letting the coffee boil after it has been brewed? That can easily ruin coffee out of the pot. When I use mine I leave it on just above medium until you can hear bubbling and see steam leaving the spout. Mine comes out decent but I might just have peasant taste.

>boil the water before putting it in
>add the coffee (ground for espresso)
>put on lowest heat possible
>take off heat before the last of the water comes through

also you'll have to let a patina of oil build up before you get anything that tastes nice.

>Brown coffee

What color were you expecting?

I think he means coffee that is muddy rather than transparent.

Moka is like coarse, overheated espresso. It's only mediocre drunk on its own, but is good with heated milk (or almond milk if that's how you roll). Expecting something similar to good espresso to come out of a moka pot id expecting too much. Just use good coffee and do what this user says to get the best possible results. It still won't be the same as good espresso.

(OP)
Diluting it and making a few cups of Americano works great too.

Well thx for all your answers , i will try way just to be sure I didnt waste my money. I guess i'll have to get an electric machine with a filter to get the taste i'm lookin for

>Moka pot
>I bought this to make nice coffee
Ya got memed. Get a french press (not a fucking aeropress)

I do same as you

Nothing wrong with Moka. It's just a cheaper Espresso.

It's not going to beat a properly made Espresso of course, but it's also not going to cost hundreds of dollars.

I use a moka pot to make my morning cup every day. If you like your coffee really strongly flavored and don't have the money and spare time to fuck around with expensive pump machines and burr grinders it's a good way to go. But if you don't like your coffee really strong you're not going to like what comes out of a moka pot.

>if you don't like your coffee really strong
By strong, do you mean bitter?

I hear you, I bought this to make better black coffee but i guess i should have googled " Moka " before lol

Know your preferred water/coffe ratio. It took me maybe a month to get it right. Also, as the other anons stated, don't expect to get a fucking espresso from it.

Bitterness is always part of the taste of coffee. By strong I mean the intensity iof espresso but without the finesse.

Please tell me you didn't buy a giant six-cup Moka to make an entire mug of coffee with

The bigger mokas don't work right, you'll want a smaller moka that makes a shot of coffee.

Also this, I got it since 2 weeks and i feel like a fucking alchemist tryin to make a less disappointing coffee than last time.

Ok now the whole system doesnt work right ? why do they even sell that crap ? im sad atm Veeky Forums

>Ok now the whole system doesnt work right ?
Compared to an espresso machine it's shit. But for making cafe con leche it's fine. The wife and I split the contents of a six cup machine over hot milk every morning, and it's a satisfying cup. But it's not a refined cup. It's just a day to day cup.

got it , i guess thread is over. Thanks all and don't buy this

Moka pots are great for making some cuban coffee at home.

Also I might just be a pleb but I like my moka pot coffee

>Get a french press
french press it's a totally overhyped garbage way to make coffee
you have to grind your coffee beans so coarse that they don't give you any flavor otherwise you end up with crap on the bottom of your cup
I had two of them and they both suck the second model was like almost $70
never again I use or buy french press

You were doing it wrong.

French press, like any of there other brewing methods where you can control all the variables, is capable of producing perfectly extracted coffee.

>where you can control all the variables,
exactly french press presents to many variables to control in order to make semi descent cup of coffee and on top of it cleaning is a hell
it takes such long time and if you don't clean properly it starts growing mold

I never had a problem cleaning mine. I just stuck it in the dishwasher.

>(not a fucking aeropress)
incorrect. an aeropress makes absolutely superior coffee to all but 2 plug-in drip coffee makers, the Mocha Master and the Bona Vita.

People can hate on them all they want, but they fucking work and they are easy to clean.

i know its a waste, but i usually pour my moka pot coffee through a paper filter after i make it. gets out the silt and refines the taste a little bit. Just make sure you don't fall for unbleached filters - get nice white melita filters.

The moka pot is what we use here in Italy for everyday coffee. You need to know how to properly use it:
>fill the lower tank with COLD water, up to the little screw on the side
If the water comes out through the filter, it's too much.
>fill the filter completely with ground coffee, WITHOUT pressing the powder
>put on stove on LOW heat
>as soon ans it starts making that bubbly noise, remove from heat
If the coffee boils inside the upper tank, it's going to taste like shit.
>STIR the brewed coffee in the tank before serving

The most important tip I can give you is not to wash your moka with soap, ever. Rinse it thoroughly and let it dry completely, but do not use soap. It needs to be seasoned a bit before it starts making good coffee.
The smaller the pot, the better the coffee.

>cleaning takes such a long time
just hold it under a running tap, jesus christ.
stick to instant coffee kid

just play with grind sizes, op

>sizes
bigger is better. ask your girlfriend or wife

For some reason, any coffee I made with my moka pot gave me intolerable headaches. I ended up throwing it away.

>uses outdated piece of shit to make coffee
>hey guys why does my coffee taste so shitty?!

Stop falling for memes and you might end up with a decent mug of coffee.

Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 it 8/8.

Question: I have one of these, it's rather large I must admit and currently it's just me who drinks it. If I leave it after a cup or two of espresso and it gets cold, is there a way of reheating it later on without damaging the flavour?

>french press presents to many variables to control
But that's a good thing

Espresso grinds are too fine, has to be a big coarser

>is there a way of reheating it later on without damaging the flavour?
no. a thermos is the best option and it's not perfect.

I think by far the biggest issue is how to control the heat. One mistake and you fry your whole pot into undrinkable waste water.

But then, even if you get the timing and fire right after a few usages the thing just gets so dirtied it doesn't taste good anymore no matter what you do so you need to do a good cleanup like once per week.

moka pots are made from fucking aluminum and when hot acidic coffee gets in contact with aluminum it creates this shitty poisonous reaction and shitty taste.
don't use this aluminum crap to make coffee,same as you not to be using aluminum pots to cook your food in it.
there is plenty of scientific research that proves aluminum to be very unhealthy to a point of being poisonous using for cooking food.

STOP THIS NONSENSE
aluminum moka pots are for poor plebs who don't know any better

user is completely right I drink my daily morning coffee with these exact steps, except the stirring in the tank. I'm probably going to try that extra step.

The timing is crucial, if you leave even 10 seconds boiling, the flavor is fucked (very bitter, and so on).

Seasoning is really important, you taste the difference after 2 or 3 coffees.

Also, get some coarse coffee, the thin stuff, that you usually find in stores, ends up in your cup and kinda fucks up the flavour.

>transparent
Fuck you, America.

>coarse coffee
>thin
huh

What grinds are you using OP? Shitty coffee grinds make shitty coffee

I always make mine over a medium heat and take it off as soon as it make a gurgling noise

Make sure you use full cream milk and that the ice cream you put in it is good as well. Make sure the cocoa powder is a dark red and that the sugar fully dissolves