Is Southeast Asian cuisine popular in the Western world?

Is Southeast Asian cuisine popular in the Western world?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-19/rio-ferdinand-tweet-sparks-food-fight-over-nasi-goreng-origin/7859648
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Somewhat. Pho blew up in the US probably a decade or so ago. Rice paper spring rolls are big too.

It is, but it can be hard to get some of the more exotic dishes. It's more common to find a westernized version of the dish rather than an authentic version.

What's your opinion on it?

There's a Thai restaurant and a Vietnamese restaurant in my town/city/flyoverwhateverthehell. Probably several more.

They are both run by people from Thailand/Vietnam so I assume they are reasonably authentic.
I do think they are only doing the recipes that would be appealing to Americans, so I probably missing some more exotic things.

The real issue isn't the skill of the owner, but rather the availability of ingredients. It's very common that the proper ingredients are either unavailable, or perhaps they are but they're so expensive that the restaurant uses substitutes instead.

From your answers, it seems that based on your experience, you guys default to Thai/Vietnamese cooking whenever you hear "Southeast Asia". How about Malaysian, Singaporean, and Indonesian cooking, though? Tried that?

By westernized version I assume you're saying that the places are run by non-Asians, huh.

>By westernized version I assume you're saying that the places are run by non-Asians, huh.

No, they are almost always run by Asians, but just like with, say, Chinese food the selection of recipes and the way they are prepared is changed.

Take, for example, the average Thai restaurant in the US. They'll have what I call "rainbow curries". Green curry. Red Curry. Yellow curry. And so on. Satay is common but they usually make it with chicken rather than pork as would be traditional. Laap? Common in Thailand, but rarely found in a US Thai restaurant. Luu? Forget it. You'll never find that. And even for those dishes you can find the recipes are usually simplified and/or altered to use local ingredients rather than what would be used in Thailand.

I cook Thai food at home. I am not Thai, but I make a point to get traditional recipes and I don't take shortcuts. Most of my recipes come from Andy Ricker and David Thompson. The rest comes from a Thai family I know well. When I make Pork Satay (Sateh?), it takes 20-some-odd ingredients, many of which I have to either mail-order or grow myself. It's a lot of work. But it kicks the crap out of what I get from the average Thai restaurant--I guarantee you they aren't spending anywhere close to the amount of effort I do when I make it.

>Satay is common but they usually make it with chicken rather than pork as would be traditional

Traditional Satay is not made from pork it was invented by muslims.

here in a orlando there's a few hipster places serving malaysian, indonesian, and flip dishes, no idea how authentic they are.

obviously there is a ton of thai/viet restaurants too.

Dogs are popular companion animals.

We eat everything in the Grand Ol' USA.

>Traditional Satay is not made from pork it was invented by muslims.

You may be right about it's origins, but I was referring to what was typically sold in Thailand. When you see a street vendor selling satay it is nearly always pork. Perhaps I should have said "typical" rather than "traditional"? Because the standard in Thailand is most certainly pork.

Its super popular here in Australia, probably because we have alot of immigrants from there. Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian and Vietnamese is especially popular

Doesn't satay come from kebab? Central asians weren't always muslim.

I would say it's generally well liked, but not very common. I live in Toronto, by most accounts one of the most multicultural cities in NA, and finding any SEA food that isn't thai or vietnamese is kinda difficult. That said, the ones that do exist tend to do very well, and everyone I've taken to one liked it. There's certainly a market for it, it's just hugely overshadowed by the other 2 main ones, as well as the hundreds of korean/jap/chinese places. It bums me out because I lived in Indonesia for 4 years and absolutely fell in love with the food.

No

those are north chinks, not based SEA

Everywhere I've had satay in SEA it was chicken by default. The only pork I've even had there was that tusked indonesian boar

se azns are the dirtiest rudest stinkiest roaches on the planet and their food tastes like dish water and dirt

Yeah, I think those are the main two SE Asian cuisines in the US.

Thai restaurants (almost all specializing in central Thai cuisine) have been pretty established in the US for the past 30 years, even in flyover cities. Like I'm in a flyover city of 150,000, and there are around a dozen Thai restaurants in town, in addition to mixed Asian restaurants that have Thai dishes. Vietnamese has been spreading a lot over the past 10 years, mostly with pho shops, but some with banh mi. I think Indonesian, Burmese, and other cuisines really haven't gained any widespread national footing...you're apt to find such restaurants in California, or NYC, but they're uncommon in middle America. We had a fair number of Laotian and Cambodian refugees a few decades ago, and a steady stream of Philippine immigrants, but their foods just didn't catch on nationally.

Some bubble tea shops caught on as a fad maybe twenty years ago, if that counts as SE Asian, but it largely faded before really establishing itself nationally. Bubble tea is more apt to be an option in some coffee/tea shops or from Asian restaurants than to come from specialized bubble tea shops now.

Thai and Vietnamese cuisines are now mainstream.

Malaysian and Indonesian cuisines are emerging.

>By westernized version I assume you're saying that the places are run by non-Asians, huh.
that's rarely the case actually
but authentic dishes are harder to find than ones adapted for a north american palate

Afghan cuisine is pretty popular.

t. Ontarian(?)

This desu senpai. That's how it is in Australia, at least. The problem here is that there's a fucking Indian restaurant on each corner and unlike Brits we don't eat poo in loo food often at all, they must just he feeding their own families out of those joints.

Indonesian and malay food is nice, there isn't a lot of vegetables in their main dishes but as long as you order some on the side it is pretty tasty.

Malaysia has some immense food. Superior to Thai for me.

Tu dia orang kita!

Lies, he's just a salesman

...what?

Its pretty popular in Australia, probably to do with how close we are to asia any way

Lot of Thai and Vietnamese places in my town, not sure how authentic they are but I liked the food.

It depends on the city. I've lived in Vancouver and now live in Melbourne. Both cities have a lot of Asians so there are restaurants from this region. On the other hand when I travel around the US I've never seen Indonesian restaurants anywhere and only rarely see Malaysian. Lao/Cambodian food is pretty much not seen anywhere, even in Vancouver and Melbourne.(yes, there's like the one restaurant that serves the food from those countries but not much else)

These days there's a lot of shitty Thai restaurants everywhere in the US. At least in Vancouver there are some really good authentic ones and not the crab rangoon shit kinds.

>Satay
>Pork
>Traditional

Shut the fuck up you clueless cracker wannabe authentic fuck.

Agreed there aren't enough Indonesian and/or Malaysian places in the GTA. I have to drive 30 mins to get my fill of nasi goreng and char kway teow.

What's the difference between Malaysian and Indonesian food?

www.google.com

I'm lazy so sue me.

www.searx.me

Not either one of them, but

>look, one of us!
>Lies, he's just a salesman

www.bing.com

I'll see you in court.

makanan indonesia lebih baik daripada makanan malaysia

Only the loser needs to save face.

In my experience, malay has more of a chinese influence. Indonesian tends to go more heavily on the chili too, but the staples are pretty comparable. Indonesian has more variety, different islands food can be pretty different. Good luck finding anything from Padang anywhere but Indonesia though.

North European here. I live in a small city of about 200k people. We have several chinese and thai places and a couple of viet places. No indonesian, philipino or malay restaurants as far as I know.

Due to colonial influence we have a lot of Indonesian food where I live. Most of it is pretty bastardized, but the influence is still there. Theres two indo-chinese restaurants in my town of 10k.

Malaysian yes, they have a sauce I like to eat with this thing bread
No idea what the rest is like

Sadly enough almost none of the Indonesian or Indo-Chinese restaurants can compare to the food in Indonesia. I mean in most restaurants they don't even make satay sauce correctly, which gives the sauce a very bland and watery taste.

Still haven't found a real authentic Indonesian restaurant in the Netherlands, although there is a semi-authentic Malaysian restaurant in Amsterdam, their laksa is really good.

Singapore is mainly Chinese, Indian and Malay foods to answer your q

What?

Nothing much, it's a local meme about how a lot of Indonesians claim a lot of things as their invention.

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-19/rio-ferdinand-tweet-sparks-food-fight-over-nasi-goreng-origin/7859648

Started over this, in which some indo dude claimed that nasi goreng (fried rice) is Indonesian, even though it's historically a Chinese invention.

Singaporean is just chicken rice and then every other asian cuisine (done to perfection I might add)

Yes, which was brought to Indonesia (generally agreed to be the origin of Satay) by Muslim traders.

Other than Thai, which is a Hollywood and hipster meme cuisine, no.

They're overshadowed by Japanese and Chinese meme cuisine.

There are Vietnamese, Thai, and Cambodian restaurants in my shitty white-as-fuck suburb. I figure if we've got 'em, they're probably popular nationwide.

Fried rice is a Chinese invention, but nasi goreng south east Asian style originated in Indonesia m80.

Kecap manis Is used which was also invented in Indonesia. Sure, Malaysia and Singapore these days all have their own versions, but Indonesian fried rice didn't originate in China

>you guys default to Thai/Vietnamese cooking whenever you hear "Southeast Asia"

This 100% Tones of Vietnamese and Thai cuisine around here, but I've never seen even a single Malaysian, Indonesian or Singaporean restaurant. I'd love to try it can be great.

Where do you live? Thailand isn't in south East Asia m8

Obvious troll is obvious

Serious question, not a troll. Thailand is pretty far north of those south East Asian countries mentioned above. It's also pretty far north of Australia ya dingus

Mi Goreng is the best instant noodle.

>It's also pretty far north of Australia
So what? The reference of "southeast asia" means south and east relative to China.

Generally speaking, southeast Asia includes Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc.

There are various "southeast Asian" commercial and political organizations. Thailand is a typical member. There used to be a "Southeast Asia Treaty Organization" (kinda like NATO). Guess where its headquarters was? Yep, Bangkok.

Yeah ok I was a bit off the mark there, I agree with what you said about the SEA countries so thanks.

Yes it is, but if it's a fast food sandwich you're after then look no further.

I live in a town of about 60,000 people. So it's not a large city by any means but we do have quite a few restaurants and one of the Thai restaurants here is by far the best restaurant in town. Most of the floor staff are Thai but I have never seen the chefs and/or owner.