Overrated food thread

I'll start

strawberries

Watch your mouth

I love strawberries, but I'll admit that it's a gamble as to whether or not they'll actually be good when you buy them.

Overrated Foods:
>bacon
>american cheese
>quinoa
>pancakes

>american cheese
>overrated

>strawberries
>gamble
Buy in-season, viola

Where are you buying strawberries?

Are you buying wholesale? Retail?

What are you doing with these strawberries?

Strawberry sales right now, because of Valentines Day will skyrocket. Up 60% over normal movement, so what I will say is, if you're getting shit strawberries now, you A) have a bad purveyor or retailer because the turns of inventory are so swift or B) you have no idea how to pick or avoid bad strawberries.

Point B is not a jab at you or anyone else--many consumers do not realize that some of the most delicious strawberries bruise VERY EASILY in the ride to their receiving point. Very ripe, ready to eat, a little dark sunken spots are not mold. MOLD IS BAD.

If you see strawberries dripping out of the carton or clamshell, just skip them. If you see straws that have a little dark bruising on the body or even white shoulders(looks like a fucking shoulder,) THEY ARE FINE and will probably have minimal sugars to meet your favorite hippie retailers' specs on brix.

Sometimes different fields and transitions have different sugar levels. Strawberry markets are huge and yield a lot of dollars so growers hire people on overtime to pick everything before a big storm too. So they can max out the dollars.

Burgers, not even kidding. ''Gourmet burgers'' are the worst.

Omg and these fucking things. Seriously, I have no idea why you'd want such a retarded amount of sugar added to you're already ridiculously sugary milkshake.

Bloody Marys that look like pic related

>olive
>pickle spear
>celery stick
One of those three should be the only thing sticking out of a good bloody

I do believe you mean a "Ceaser". Unless don't enjoy the fine taste of clam with your delicious cocktail.

I had strawberries in Japan, and compared to American ones they were much smaller, but much sweeter. They actually tasted like the strawberry flavor that you think is artificial.

>shrimp
>roasted bone marrow
>peas
>pussy

Pizza

Junebearing strawberries are deliciously sweet.

Everbearing strawberries taste like wax

I think globally American cheese is criminally underrated. People just don't know how to use it. It has to be melted over something, that's the entire reason it exists, to be heated and melted into almost a layer of sauce.

But the rest of the world has far better melting cheeses. Fontina. Camembert. Brie. Gouda. Gruyere......

And I am American BTW.

The entire point of American cheese is to provide a consistent, even melt without the risk of breaking and without the need for inoculation or ripening.

I know. The cheeses I just mentioned all melt evenly and you'd have to fuck up really bad to get them to break.

>>without the need for inoculation or ripening

I read that as "easier to make in an industrial plant at the expense of flavor"

Cake.

(((""gourmet""))) burgers are a jew lie

xD

even as a kid I thought this shit was disgusting

stop buying shit tier flavorless grocery store strawberries. go out to the farm and pic a gallon yourself during strawberry season. fucking delicious

If American cheese products didn't exist, you would not be able to hardly afford any cheese while grocery shopping in the US. Imagine how many billions of slices are sold just per day here. Every fast food place. A high percentage of households. All gobbling it up. Now imagine if it didn't exist and they had to all buy one of your favorites instead. You should thank the makers of American cheese for making the ones you like more affordable, because if that high of a demand were to hit real cheeses, you'd be shit out of luck getting any.

I always buy frozen strawberries now. With 'fresh', they might be moldy, they might be too green...

I think frozen is actually better because they can pick them ripe and freeze them right away. I guess it might vary by brand too, so far I've been doing find with the frozen strawberries from Irresistible at Metro and Compliments at Sobrey's. (Toronto, Canada)

Sashimi, raw fish, is way overrated. I do like it, it can be tasty, e.g. I love California Roll (Avocado plus Salmon), but it doesn't taste remotely as good as Inari Sushi (Fried Tofu Skin wrapping seasoned rice.).

It makes me sad that so many sushi places don't have tons of sashimi, and tempuri too, but no inari.

>With 'fresh', they might be moldy, they might be too green...

Buy local strawberries in season ya dingus

I still remember going strawberry picking as a kid, we were allow to eat as we pick, and i ate soooo much!