Chicken Feet

I bought some chicken feet on a whim today. I've never cooked them or eaten them before, but I've always wanted to try them.

How should I cook them? I have
>green onion
>bamboo
>water chestnuts
>ginger
>garlic
>soy sauce
>rice wine
>lao gan ma
>sugar
>star anise
>chicken stock
>orange (peel)

If I throw all of that into a dutch oven for a few hours will they come out good? Some recipes I saw online call for oyster sauce and clove, which I could get but not sure if necessary. Should the feet be browned first?

Other urls found in this thread:

annieliciousfood.blogspot.my/2012/08/chicken-feet-peanut-soup.html?m=1
theelliotthomestead.com/2015/01/chicken-feet/
youtube.com/watch?v=U2dECu5gvlA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

theyre shit. dont waste your energy.

if you must ust deep fry them and get it over fast.

If you want to actually eat the feet, you have to do a long braise to get the cartilage tender.
I use chicken feet along with pork hocks to make my tonkotsu broth nice and gelatinous. Chicken feet are killer for a good broth, but you have to roast them first, like most bits.

Don't be so quick to dismiss things just because you don't like them in one application
Chicken feet are probably the best part of the bird for making stock since they're rich in gelatin

This.

Though I disagree about roasting. Yes they make awesome stock. But like any other kind of chicken, you can choose to make a "white" stock (no roasting) or a "dark" stock (roasted). They're different methods that yield different flavors.

But fuck, they do make some badass stock...

you don't have all of the ingredients, but search korean chicken feet (yangnyeom dakbal) and a bomb ass way to each chicken feet should appear. they're oddly addictive when in a spicy sweet sauce.

Might as well go full "peasant food" and serve it with polenta and scrapple

Thank you, this is what I was looking for

I just might

>theyre shit.
exactly,
chickens walk with them over their own shit and stupid people eat them
fucking gross

Well meme'd

This sounds great, OP, but you should also check this out: annieliciousfood.blogspot.my/2012/08/chicken-feet-peanut-soup.html?m=1

One of my favorites from ever since I was a little kid. We (my family) barely make this nowadays because of the time needed to properly simmer it for best results, but the tenderness of the groundnuts and the flavor of the chicken feet soup is worth it.

If you google it you'll find most people boil a few minutes to loosen the skin, throw away that, the use the rest in soups.

theelliotthomestead.com/2015/01/chicken-feet/

>chicken feet
>conch
>pork ribs
>peanuts

I'm very interested in trying this. Can't even imagine how those ingredients would taste all together in a soup. Thanks for sharing this!

fuck you

No probs user. The version that my family used to make doesn't have pork ribs or conches, but I believe your experience won't differ much, as most of the flavor comes from the chicken feet and peanuts, from my observation.

youtube.com/watch?v=U2dECu5gvlA

This. It's a staple in Korean street tents called Pojangmaja, a great drinking food. They're wonderful with cold beer. I used to eat platefuls carousing the streets of Seoul with Korean buds.

Deep fry it first before you braise, steam, or whatever method of long, moist heat (~50min is sufficient; anything longer is bullshit. Frying will help retain the shape and allow the feet to better absorb flavor.

t. china man

Thank you, china man

Cook them like you'd cook wings.
Make sure to wash them good and clip them though.

>I am retarded

>
>>theyre shit.

>chickens walk with them over their own shit and stupid people eat them
>fucking gross

>liver is an organ used to filter toxins from the body, literally toxic
>people pay a buttload of money for foie gras

>literally toxic
That's where you're wrong, kiddo. It filters toxins, it's not made of them. It's the most nutritious part of any animal. There is a reason carnivores everywhere eat the liver as one of the very first things they consume before muscle meat.

this user knows. listen to him you chicken shit feet eaters.

only poor and uneducated plebs eat that crap. same as people who eat pigs feet.
you people have no respect for yourselves you will eat all that shit thinking it's exotic food.
it's just food that poor people in fucking China started to eat because there was nothing else for them to eat

uneducated stupid pleb is so disgusting

>eating part of an animal that's thoroughly cleaned is disgusting
>licks each other's asshole and calls it 'sex'

If that's the case everyone shouldn't be eating pork because pigs roll in their own shit.

not only that pigs roll in their own shit but also they eat their own babies and even rats and humans as well.
Bible or not pig is not clean animal in my book to eat.

He said nothing against chicken's feet though. Having a negative bias toward any edible part of an animal is completely retarded.

>Having a negative bias toward any edible part of an animal is completely retarded.
you are fucking retarded by having no respect and eating shit parts of animal that is so degrading to human race.
I understand in time of famine but today in developed countries there is enough food that you don't have to eat shitty parts of animals.

but go ahead eat all that shit so more quality meat is left for those of us who are smart and educated and have respect for our bodies you poor uneducated pleb

Good. More for us at a cheaper price.

Seek medical assistance

>no respect

No respect is not using the entire edible portion of the animal, moron. Feet are perfectly fine. If you're a 2 year old gril and think, "eeww, I can't eat a well prepared chicken foot because, well, it's a foot," then throw it into your next stock.

I used to eat them as a kid, and loved them. But they are way too much prep work. Need to spend at least a half hour cutting off all the nails and shit.

OP here. They came out unbelievably good. Sorry, poor lighting made for a bad pic but they are so good

Alternate pic, not really any better though

There was almost zero prep. Just chopped off all the tips/nails with a knife and a quick rinse. Spent more time prepping the vegetables

tell us what you did

I went full Jack Scalfani and decided to just throw all of this (minus the fish sauce) into the crock pot

And all of this. Threw in some spicy bbq sauce for sugar

About 3.5 hours on high and...WA LA

They were really spicy. Added some red chili flake in addition to the lao gan ma. The soup/broth is amazing.

Very happy with my first attempt at chicken feet. I will make these again

did you add all the ingreadiance together in the pot?

Yes ma'am

And about 2 cups of water

I would eat this, not gonna lie. Looks spicy and oily like sichuan

Dang, good job OP. I would tremble from the original pic, but after you did your magic they actually made me salivate.

Thanks. Honestly I was not expecting the results to be this good, mostly because I decided to basically ignore the recipes I found online and the suggestions I got here. I went with my gut this time and everything turned out better than expected

Way to go, OP. You know how to eat. Fuck the haters and their haute kosher fag shit.