Beef jerky

whats your beef jerky recespie?
ive got 4kg of flank stake that im am gonna turn to jerky

Other urls found in this thread:

oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Your-own-Beef-Jerky.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I use a south African chilli biltong dry rub and it is nice but I'm monitoring this thread as I am in need of a good wet recipe

this is what i ussually do
>woschershire sauce
>soy
>liquid smoke
>tabasco
>black pepper (ground)
>salt
>honey
>chili flakes to taste

how thin you usually slice it before dehydrating?

>woschershire

plz no bully

Give your meat a good ol rub

This is a good recipe. It's similar to what I use, as well. I do equal parts soy and worcestershire. I also add minced garlic. Be careful with the salt, it's easy to overdue it.

Eurofag here. I don't get the point of beef jerky.
I guess it's like chewing leather. Somebody want to enlighten me?

The original purpose was to preserve meat back in the days before refrigeration.

Now it's just a popular tasty snack. Some of the cheap stuff is indeed tough, but that's the sign of shitty jerky. When made properly it's not at all like chewing leather.

it delic

What nationality are you?
Meanwhile in Europa, the magical meat land:
>Bündnerfleisch(beef)
>Fenalår(mutton)
>All types of pre modern Salami
>Jamón(pork)
>Kuivaliha(reindeer)
What made Beef Jerky into what it is, is that it goes back to how cured meat was traditionally sold and used. And actually made a place in modern foodstores.
Meanwhile everyone and their mother has been selling uncut gigantic pieces of dry meat, but everyone sorta forgets they exist and is mostly the same.

German. I guess I gotta try it at least once. It's been popping up in stores more and more recently, but it's pretty expensive since it's something """exotic""".

It's expensive because it takes a lot of meat to make just a little bit of jerky. Meat is mostly water, so when you dehydrate it you lose most of the weight you started with.

It takes several pounds of meat to make just one pound of jerky. So even if cheap meat was used to start with it gets expensive quick for that reason.

Been doing lots of different jerky recipes recently for the purpose of selling it, and so far everybody's favorite is my sweet chili.

1 part soy sauce
1 part ginger ale
2 parts Sriracha chili garlic sauce
3 parts brown sugar
And a splash of liquid smoke

Mix and marinate for a few hrs, dehydrate at 140 for 12 hours.
Hope this helps

Picture of the finished product

...just say "lea and perrins sauce" and be done with the stupid argument once and for all. It is( the other) proper name for it after all

guys, anyone tried bak kwa? it seems like there's way too much sugar in all the recipes I can find, second guessing myself.

looks amazing if not just acceptable.
i bet it tastes lovely and has a nice chew.
good job.

the good manufactured stuff in the states is expensive (to my mind) as well, user.
it does tend to last a while for me, and is actually fairly healthy compared to other snacks.

How do yoy make Jerky at home?

I came here to make a thread about this.

I recently bought this food dehydrator in pic related. Its great, and can be had for under $200. A few issues: Its riveted together poorly, so it shakes and vibrates. Fan is unbalanced. If you have a welder, go over those rivets to reduce vibrations, and get some rubber isolaters for the fan motor. This thing vibrated a glass off the counter, and it broke :(

Anyway, what I do for my recipe is use 50/50 low sodium soy sauce and Worcester. To that I add ground chipotle, or chili, or paprika, or any other ground spiced pepper. I buy my spices from a spice house. None of that store bought shit. I recently bought a small box of ground chili from a Mexican grocery store that usually has great produce, but the spice was no where near as potent as the stuff I get from my spice house. Had no heat to it at all.
www.thespicehouse.com/
This place ships, I highly recommend Vulcan Fire Salt.

I add a descent heap of spices. The same store sells different mixes of spices, so I vary. Sometimes I will add a few dried naga jolokia for that extra spice.
I dont do smoke
I dont do prepared sauces
I avoid garlic, but will use garlic powder.
Blend all the ingredient in a blender, and add it to the sliced beef, refrigerate overnight.

Comes out hella good, and very, very spicy. Just how I like it.

Now what I am looking for is a sweet recipe. I recently did a batch where I had nothing but honey, some water, fresh ginger, and garlic. The sauce tasted good, but unfortunately the meat came out very bland, and not sweet at all. Almost like it had no flavor added.
What did I do wrong?
In the past I added honey to my existing 50/50 soy/wor mix, but it came out tasting weird. The sweetness almost tasted like rancid milk. It wasnt bad, but just weird.
I did not like results using brown sugar either, but open to suggestions.

Some of my earlier work. Tried using fatty sirloin steak cause it was $2.50 a pound.

So far I found that round eye beef works the best, its lean, and usually the cheapest.

My guess is, even with a sweeter version that was bland, you should have added more salt.

Recipe called for no salt, and I didnt add any, but I suspected that salt should be used to tenderize the meat so it absorbs the flavor more.
Is that the issue?
Should I first brine the meat, and then add the main honey mix?

If it were me, I'd add it in at the beginning. At least 25g kosher or sea salt per kilogram. Think about it. The salt is a big part of the preservation process.

has anyone ever tried using Adobo seasoning as the main spice?

So brine it first, then what? Remove it, wash it? just add the honey mix?
Or should I mix it all together?

I would blend it with your honey, ginger and garlic. But I would also nix the water. I can't see how that's helping anything. I also feel like there should be some chili heat in there to compliment the sweetness.

water was to thin out the honey a bit

Can you cook jerky in an oven?

Did anyone try Alton Brown's method of dehydrating that he showed in Good Eats? Just strips of marinated meat laid out on air-filters and placed in a stack over a large fan.

He made it sound like it was better for jerky because it just dehydrates and doesn't cook.

you gotta do what you gotta do y'know?

>oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Your-own-Beef-Jerky.pdf

Yes but it is not cooking. It is dehydrating. Very low heat very long time. Barely on at all.

So minimum temperature for 4-5 hours or so? And just put the meat on foil on top of the tray or something?

I do the tooth pick method where you hand it in the oven racks but pretty much, yeah. Time is always different depending on thickness and fat content but around 140F is what mine does for minimum and it's all I have to use. 4-6 hours normally.

hang

So do you set the oven at 50C or 75C then?
Because there generally isn't a 140F setting.

>ginger ale

Dat HFCS tho.

The last time I tried making jerky was probably 4 years ago and I used 70-30 hamburger. Please help me

Daily reminder that beef jerky is inferior to South African biltong

WOOSTER SAUCE

Nobody cares about Africans.

Soy sauce base, throw in whatever spices I feel like putting in for that batch.
I don't really have a recipe.

>decide to try and make beef jerky
>don't have a dehydrator

Mine is crappy and the lowest actual temperature it shows on the dial is 200F but before that, it says "WM" on the dial, which I assume means warm. I just leave a thermometer in there and it stays roughly around 140F. If you can set yours to 75C that should work just fine since it's like around 165F or something.

Do you not have an oven either? You only need a dehydrator if you're making literally tens of pounds of the stuff at a time

I do, but it's minimum temperature is too high for it.

So it's permanently at 80 degrees or higher? Must save you a lot on the heating bill.

Sarcasm aside, you realise you can turn your oven off while it's still heating up right?

>Exactly the same
>Except more types of meat used
>Less sweet coating
Bless the Dutch

The sweet thing really puts me off jerky. Why the fuck would you put a Demerara glaze on beef?

Very little jerky has a "sweet" glaze on it.

Normal for US is brown sugar (normal sugar with molasses added to make it brown) based for sweet jerky and meats, not demerara based.

When you dehydrate with the oven, put it on its lowest setting, and open the door halfway.

You may need to rotate the beef jerky tray around.

ideally you'll get the butcher wherever you get your meat from to slice it for you so you can get it pretty thin, and a consistent slice

forgot to mention that I like mine pretty thin, like a quarter inch or so, I don't like for the end product to be thick and therefore chewy and soft. I like beef jerky you could shank a man with

aight. Imma go to my local market, and buy like 8lb of beef for beef jerky. will post here as I go along. brb in 20ish

my go to rub is just eyeball together some salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground mustard

Imma do a rub that worked in the past.

50/50 soy sauce and Worcestershire, and add a shittone of spices.

I'll see if these peppers have any heat to them

woo, they have decent heat. time to blend

Time to blend

About 2/3 done

>adding sugar to make beef brown

No wonder Americans are obese

How do you get beef anything out of that? I said how they make brown sugar. Not brown beef. Are you some kind of fucking obsessed retard?

If you don't mind my asking, what's the purpose of blending the meat for making jerky?

I know it's a thing, but I also know it's entirely possible to make jerky from whole pieces of meat, or thin strips. The best jerky I ever had was from a local meat market who smoked it out back. It was in large continuous pieces.

What is the purpose behind the blending?

He blended the peppers and sauces, not the meat. He sliced the meat up and put the blended mixture of peppers and sauces onto it to absorb it.

All chopped up

>He blended the peppers and sauces, not the meat.

Thanks, I only looked at the thumbnails.

But that said, I know that some people do run their jerky meat through a fine grinder (or blender, or food processor...) and I'm curious as to what the purpose of that is.

A little finer blend. Fucked up on the first. Too many seeds left

Now in th bridge overnight, will update tomorrow afternoon

Dice?
Notebook?
USB receiver(width)?
How thick?
Give us a comparison.

Knife work is fun after all

bout a quarter inch thick.
brotip: it's easier to slice thin if you freeze the meat first

see I bought "special" meat, aka shit that needs to be sold at the end of the day. Its 40% cheaper.

Its little less than a quarter inch thick, which is great for my dehydrator. I can get it all done in 3.5 hours.
I like thicker slices, they are easier to peel off when done, less slices to work with, more tender on the inside.

Also, always cut against the grain.

Why are you putting sugar on your beef nigger?

not that guy but it gives it a bbq flavor

It gives it a sugar flavour lad

Molasses is the bbq sauce flavor. Because bbq sauce is molasses based

It helps mitigate the salty flavor, famalam.

Friendly reminder that the only ingredients in your base beef jerky recipe should be beef, salt and sunlight. If it's not cracker-crisp when you're done then it's not worth eating.

jack links teriyaki

Veeky Forums hates Alton Brown for some gay reason so don't expect much responses from here except for ">le reddit cook" or some gay, contrarian shit like that.

I'm actually going to try that method exactly because I love AB and I'm gonna do that method in the next day or so. If this thread is still up I'll let you know how it turns out.

Replace liquid smoke with a Chipotle pepper.

Fewer.

Fewer slices.

Dont call me that

>1 part lea
>1 part nandos ultra hot
>2 tablespoons honey
>1 part apple cider
>Enough peri peri seasoning to crust it over after marinading

Been playing with it for a year, that's generally what I use for a 1kg batch.

I used 744g of beef and ended with 400g of beef jerky the other day.

I use a dehydrator, 3,5-4 hours at 70C does it

Indeed. It is suppose to make it easier to eat. You use the ground meat and it's all seasoned, put it into a jerky gun which is sort of like a caulk gun or similar, then squeeze it out in strips and dehydrate. I know there are some national brands in the US that do it this way also. You can make it with super lean meats since you grind it up and it's still softer and easy to bite and chew once it's done.

dude this dehydrator is about 40 dollars and is easy to use (pic related)

Are you being serious?

That is the biggest piece of shit dehydrator out there. Half the reviews on it talk about either how it works like shit, fragile plastic that breaks, or how it gets hot spots, and plastic melts.

People on Craigslist cant sell it for $15 right now.

It doesnt have a fan, and it takes about 20+ hours to dehydrate meat.

Its literally the worst product.

Aight, it's been about 18 hours. Time to dehydrate. Fist I'm gonna transfere it all into one big pot, and give it a quick mix

First rack done

See ya in about 4 hours

Forgot pic

Biltong is amazing. Probably the best food to come out of SA.