Sausage tips

Going to try making some general tso's chicken sausage. Would peanuts tear through the pork casing? Should I just sprinkle them on top after I cook it or would it be ok to put them inside the sausage?

>General Tso's Chicken Sausage
>Battered chicken coated in sauce
>Usually comes with fried rice and steamed broccoli
>Putting all this in a sausage casing
You're either retarded or a mad genius. Post pics as you make it so we can decide which.

I was going to serve it over vegetable fried rice but now I'm thinking of pre-cooking the rice and putting it in.

never heard of peanuts in general tso's. are you trying to make it thai?

to actually answer your question, I'd probably ground them up somewhat, or otherwise crush them. It'd be better for a more uniform texture regardless of if it'll break the casing or not.

>never heard of peanuts in general tso's
Must be a regional thing
>It'd be better for a more uniform texture regardless of if it'll break the casing or not.
The thing is texture won't matter if they break through. I just want to make sure it's possible to grind them up small enough that they can still be tasted and not worry about the casing breaking

I'm thinking it'll be fine if you pulse them or crush them in a mortar and pestle. no pieces larger than 1/4in or half a centimeter I would think. But I know very little about sausage making and am going off of the size of particles I have seen within sausages.

You could also soak them, that'd make them softer but would affect the flavor.

Now you're going to have to post your theoretical ingredient list and prep method.

>chicken breast
>general tso's sauce
>egg
>broccoli
>peanuts
>chili peppers

>dice the chicken
>grind it once
>steam and chop the broccoli
>chop the chilies
>crush the nuts
>mix in all those together
>grind two more times
>mix in sauce and egg
>stuff

Might cook, fry and add rice too but not sure.

Maybe you should just make it like Boudin with a "General Tso" style rice dressing.

Also, this is some sacrilegious shit, but have you thought about peanut butter?

>regional thing
Zuozang Chicken is from Taipei, it does not have regional variants. Taiwanese do not use peanuts in entrees at all. You're thinking of gongbao chicken.

I'd go with thigh for a sausage.
Be sure to squeeze the liquids out of the broccoli as much as possible.
Also sounds like too much grinding, unless you like really paste-y sausage filling.

Soaking them is a good idea. Thank you
I thought general tso's chiicken was fake chinese-american nonsense. I might be mixing up kung poa and general tso
Why thigh?

gongbao (kung pao) and Zuozang (General Tso) chicken are both real dishes from China and Taiwan. The American recipes may not necessarily match the original, however.

Fat content helps in a sausage, and thigh tastes better.

Both of those things are good to know.

Interesting. As a sausage maker (pic related) I've given this some thought. In the first place, chicken is too lean for sausage unless you grind some extra chicken skin or pork fat into the meat. Secondly, grind the peanuts to a powder because it's probable that the sharp edges from the broken peanuts will pierce the casings. Thirdly, why, just why, do you want to do this when there are a myriad of tested sausage recipes on meatsandsausages.com that it will take you a lifetime to work through?

>Thirdly, why, just why, do you want to do this when there are a myriad of tested sausage recipes on meatsandsausages.com that it will take you a lifetime to work through?
To be honest, I just want to see how it would turn out. If I can pull it off and it tastes good then why not?

off topic dumb question but you can eat frankfurters straight out of the packet r-right?

Fair enough. Just add enough extra fat (there's nothing worse than a dry sausage) and grind the peanuts into a fine powder. I'd be interested in seeing a cross section of your final product.

Thank you everyone in this thread for your advice. I'll be popping in and out all night until it's archived.
Probably won't be making any until Friday. I'm way too busy to get to the butcher's until then

it's never recommended that you eat cooked meat without reheating it, especially if it's been in the fridge a few days

General Tso's works because the sauce is on the outside and hits your taste buds first, giving clear flavor signals.

If you just grind shit up and put General Tso flavoring in it, it's not going to taste the same. It will have a bland Tso background flavor.

Imagine if someone chewed up some General Tso's chicken, spit it out, and then you took a bite. That's what it will taste like if you make sausage out of those flavors.

this brings up a good point

instead of including the sauce in the casing maybe include spices that are indicative of the sauce--im thinking in particular hot spices--and save the sauce for a glaze on the outside.

I also would not include veg fried rice, I imagine that would make it too much like eating packaged throwup. Try it for the gimmick but I think it'll be better served over the rice.