Well Veeky Forums...

Well Veeky Forums, I just slaughtered my two hogs I've raised over the last 5 months and dropped them off to be processed.
What should I do in terms of curing, smoking etc.

may I have some of your pork brother

Do you feel sad at all?

Did you fuck one a la Black Mirror?

The bones brother

will you spare some for some broth

Brother, may I have some of them hogs?

No, I grew up on a farm killing animals all the time since I was a little kid. I'm just clueless about what to do after/during the processing of the carcass. I already made lard, headcheese and dog food, but I just want to know what the fuck to do in terms of curing hams and smoking bacon etc.

For belly bacon, I do a dry rub of kosher salt, brown sugar, and a bit of sodium nitrate. Localfoodheros.co.uk.com has a calculator that you put in the weight of the belly and you get the proportions. For back bacon from the loin, I basically use Ruhlman's brine method. Haven't done a full ham, yet, although I've done brine cured hocks similar to back bacon.

The belly bacon, I cold smoke for 8 hours. The back bacon, I smoke at 200F until internal 152F.

damn those hogs are fucking fat

i got nothing , but interesting thread OP

>Kosher salt
Hah!
But yeah this guy has the right idea. I find by altering the ratio of salt-to-sugar you can actually change the consistency of the meat itself over time.

Were they brothers?

What kind of oats did you feed them?

>having two tasty hogs to eat
>feeling bad
you what mate?

no

I hope you saved the blood for black pudding.

It's not really kosher salt. All salt is kosher. It's actually a misnomer.

The technical name should be "koshering salt" because it's salt uses specifically to draw out blood, which is necessary to make neat fit to eat.

Please Brother, I do not ask for much. I am famished, the winter has been long and hard and I fear that tomorrow, I shall not rise as I once did. Please Brother, if you truly still care for the sanctity of brotherhood, please, please give me some oööats

no

I fed them pork grower and fruit/vegetable pulp from a local smoothie place

did you take any pics of them? alive or dead

May I have some sausages brother?

THE DELEGATES DÖNALD

oh dude, you gotta try fresh side, you slice up pork belly like you're gonna make thick bacon, but you don't cure it, you just flour and fry it. it comes out like a cross between bacon and a pork chop

>this thread

oh brother

Mix them with oats, also can you spare some?

OP, have you already given a cutsheet to the slaughterhouse? They're gonna want one soon...

If they don't do any smoking there, you can find a place to smoke. You pay buy the pound for smoking, usually.

Hocks and trotters are kinda a waste. Just get the little bit of meat for sausage.

5 months of raising can be a pretty good size pig. What size carcass?

Whole hams are massive. Half hams, and even a couple steaks are better.

You can do more with fresh ham than smoked.

Will someone explain this forced meme?

rip Porky

Yeah, the problem is that in the past I've usually gotten a cut sheet from the butcher when I drop them off, but he told me I can just call him and tell him what I want. I'm kind of clueless about this whole part.
>5 months of raising can be a pretty good size pig. What size carcass?
The larger hog weighed in at 200lbs for both halves, and the smaller was 160. We killed them when the smallest got to 250lbs.

so, are you good on cuts and only wondering about the smoked stuff?

It is what it is. If you don't get it just fuck off.

>every meme I don't like is forced
The fact that you don't know what this is from means it hasn't been forced upon you like my dick in ur mum

Neither. I've just gone with what the butcher suggests previously, but this new butcher has not given me a cut sheet and expects me to call to tell him what cuts I want.