Is real maple syrup worth the cost? It's much more expensive than fake maple syrup or even honey

Is real maple syrup worth the cost? It's much more expensive than fake maple syrup or even honey.

Other urls found in this thread:

medicalnewstoday.com/releases/220801.php
sciencebasedmedicine.org/sugar-industry-research/
amazon.ca/Canadian-Heritage-Organic-Syrup-Maple-Medium/dp/B00PN0QQ2S
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nah, corn syrup with food coloring tastes so much better

Sugar is sugar

It's worth it. But if you can't spend the money go for some whip cream and sprinkles.

Taste wise? Absolutely. the artificial stuff tastes like shit by comparison.

As far as health is concerned? There's probably no difference, both are loaded with sugar.

>Is real maple syrup worth the cost?

Not if you're going to use it on Eggos, it's too expensive for that but if you plan on making something fancy from scratch, like French toast from homemade bread, it's worth it.

wtf is fake maple syrup?

>wtf is fake maple syrup?

that's not fake maple syrup

that's just syrup

Any kind of sugar syrup, including pure maple syrup is basically HFCS

It's very bad for you. Do not eat it.

I buy this stuff from Aldi

It says it's 100% real maple syrup but i don't really taste a difference from the artificial stuff

>that's just syrup

No, "just syrup" is clear in color and tastes of nothing other than sweet.

Buy grade B, it tastes better.

Dont tell me what to do

Try them side by side. There is most certainly a difference
I find the flavor is more pronounced in baked goods and glazes

leaf here

it's totally worth it

i like to keep every shade in my pantry but i'd go with amber if i had to pick one

Trader Joe's used to carry Grade C. I fucking miss that shit.

It tastes much better. I got a 32oz jug at Sam's for like $7

medicalnewstoday.com/releases/220801.php

T. Maple syrup lobbyist

It's not hard to imagine it being less harmful than HFCS

Worth the cost? Costco sells a 32oz bottle for $17. that's pretty goddamn cheap

don't buy it unless its in a can and dark amber coloured

Maple Syrup is made of Sucrose.

'Table Syrup' is made of HFCS, Fructose.

I'm not going to argue a health benefit to Maple Syrup, but you're posting on the wrong Afghan Zen Gardening Forum if you're not going to respect semantics.

There's something to be said for eggo waffles, fake syrup and margarine. So bad it's good.

I can't think of a situation where maple syrup tastes better than honey.

Also the real stuff is watery. Not a big fan.

>Also the real stuff is watery. Not a big fan.
stop buying your syrup from dipshits that don't know how to reduce their syrup

Just make your own its easy

It's a total was of money suggestive scam.

And there's nothing wrong with HFCS.

sciencebasedmedicine.org/sugar-industry-research/

If you've been having artificial for a while the real shit will fuck you up. It seems like it's WAY sweeter but it's probably just the new flavour. Also the viscosity of the fake shit is much more appropriate for pancakes and waffles.

All in all I don't think it's worth the price.

Taste is bad

After product of the 2003 batch been making it for years

It might not be the maple "dipshits" themselves; end-user has to be informed as well.

Here in NH, we have a grading system running from Grade-A Fancy ->Grade A Light ->Grade A Medium -> (Optional Grade A Dark) -> Grade B

A lot of places trying to sell "real" syrup for a quick profit off people who want authenticity are selling Fancy or Light, which are great for topping ice cream or fruit. Best pancake syrups are in the Grade A Dark or Grade B; they've been cooked more, darkening and concentrating the maple while reducing the water content. Never buy anything that doesn't have a grade on it; at best it's drippings from other batches stirred together to fill a jug, at worst (I've seen anyway) it's stuff cut with simple and corn syrup.

Much newer batch alot thicker

You're retarded.

Quite

Honey is better and less expensive but maple syrup is really good too.

It's usually carob syrup. they add enough maple syrup to hit the exact % required in the country to be able to label it maple syrup, and then top it off with carob syrup.

Kinda like 'sausages' with like 40% meat content.

My grandparents take a trip up to Canada once a year, so while they're up there I ask them to pick up a quart or two, sometimes a gallon of Grade A extra light amber maple syrup.

I am not a fan of dark or medium ambers.

Can confirm. Honey on pancakes is good especially with loads of butter.

But not better than syrup

Real syrup. Yeah real maple syrup is delicious af. I eat that shit plain.

then you have no tongue and can't feel things.

why do you have 13 year old maple syrup its not fucking red wine bro.

Dark and medium amber tend to be closer in taste to the fake syrups anyway.

Light and extra light amber are what are known as "fancy" syrups and will have a much more delicate flavor.

maple syrup is pretty nice but unless you can get it for a fair price it's not really worth it.

I buy these 1L bottles for $9.99 CDN, the small bottles are a scam.

light and extra light syrups are known to be tourist bait trash.

You're literally retarded, or simply think the pancakes you're eating are so garbage the only way to make them taste better is with syrup that overpowers any other flavors present.

Light amber is supposed to accent and accompany other flavors, not be a super sugary SYRUP flavor that you get from dark amber.

>maple syrup is corn syrup

Wtf am I reading

someone who is talking about the sugar content only.

Because i made that with my grandpa its the first batch we did together, i keep that one as a keep sake

thats pretty cool mane.. how long can it last?

Im honestly not sure i guess till it crystallizes

That's like saying all meat is the same if the fat:protein ratio is the same.

In reality its all the same on a molecular level

>Leafs keep multiple types of maple syrup in their pantries

What a magical place.

>it's all atoms when you get down to it

I bet you felt really clever typing that.

In reality, everything is the same on a quantum level, Aristotle.

It's worth the cost, but I actually prefer the fake syrup for waffles and pancakes. The consistency of the real stuff is a bit too thin.

For the longest time, since I was a kid up until like a month ago, I was hooked on Aunt Jemima syrup and refused to use anything else. Other fake syrups were awful, and the canned real maple syrup my dad would buy was shitty in it's own way. On a whim I bought this and it's perfect; real maple taste that isn't overwhelming.

amazon.ca/Canadian-Heritage-Organic-Syrup-Maple-Medium/dp/B00PN0QQ2S

>9 Canadian Dollars
Holy shit that's practically free

>canned real maple syrup
and I thought bagged milk was canadian as fuck

No. I really like sweet shit and since I also try to avoid sugar I buy both. I really like both. Honey is better than maple syrup.

There are situations where the maple is better though. It matches better with nuts and I have no idea why there aren't maple roasted peanuts. It's better with bacon too. I'd say honey and maple are about even on ham though.

It's really close and sometimes maple just wins out because I'm feeling it that day (subjective) but honey is cheaper and goes farther so honey wins.

TREE TEARS >>>>>> BEE PUKE

It's also different to cook with. It doesn't act like refined sugar in various cases.

amen

seriously you people are talking about this sugary syrup like it is fine wine.

It's all the fucking same. It's sugar syrup. Some syrup is refined from trees, some syrup is refined from corn, or fruit, or cane plants.

It's just fucking sugar you degenerates. Don't eat sugar. Use artificial sweeteners like aspartame. Respect your teeth, once they're gone, you can't get them back!

its a big difference if you like your pancakes. worth the money

Are those secret service dudes behind Gore? Looks like they can't remember what to do with an ice cream cone.

>amazon.ca/Canadian-Heritage-Organic-Syrup-Maple-Medium/dp/B00PN0QQ2S

that is absurdly overpriced

until it molds, at which point you either toss or filter

best to put it in the freezer since it won't freeze

you are a pretentious douche who falls for tourist bait trash.

it's a totally different flavor profile and has nothing to do with being tourist trash or not, i'm not even that guy, i'm a leaf out west and light "fancy' maple syrup is great, it's just a much more difficult flavor to work with because it can easily be overlooked with particularly flavorful additions (blueberry pancakes for example, you'll MOSTLY taste blueberry, not maple syrup, whereas if you use a darker amber, the maple flavor will generally stick out a lot more with the blueberry)
Different strokes for different folks. And also, different syrups for different occasions. Nothing says you have to ONLY have 1 type of syrup.

>Are those secret service dudes behind Gore? Looks like they can't remember what to do with an ice cream cone.
It was his infectious "wooden" disease.

>Is real maple syrup worth the cost? It's much more expensive than fake maple syrup or even honey.
If it's Grade B amber it is!

I dont think it will mold its been canned and never opened

Really fucking expenssive in my country :/

Make friends with a canadian.

Of course your country is known to slap huge customs fees on that shit, or just steal it.

The wall will make more expensive soon

He's in Brazil, not Mexico, i doubt the wall will effect much for him.

Maple and fake syrup taste nothing alike. One is like angel semen, the other is pretty much just corn syrup. Both are tasty on pancakes one is superior though.

100% worth it.
I used the fake stuff until last year, when I needed the real stuff for a recipe. Used the leftovers on pancakes, user, there is a world of difference, and it is good. The bottle I get from my local store is about 32 oz, so it lasts my family 3-4 months, and it's only 25 dollars.

That's really sad. Have you been able to try maple syrup? Do you want me to send you some?

Signed,
Leaf

>$25 for 1L of maple syrup

im so sorry for your lots.

Not him, but I guess no.
It's really unusual here, our climate doesn't allow maple trees.The most common replacement is honey, which has a much more reasonable cost.

maple syrup is nothing like honey. fake syrup did a pretty good job of imitating maple syrup, but maple has a much milder flavour, even the amber varieties.

very odd that you guys shudder at the thought of dousing your food in HFCS, but honey and maple syrup are the same damn thing. You need to free your minds and see the truth.

If you just want liquid sugar to shovel into your mouth, then generic not-maple syrup is fine

If you actually want something with flavor you should actually get some maple syrup

HFCS and PHVO have both been altered at a chemical level

Real fruit preserves would be easier on your wallet and your caloric intake, but if you have $6 dollars to spend on whats basically unjustifiable, 100% go for it, its so rich and delicious.

Its a meme

nope

son, I don't go outside and tap a goddamn corncob.

Cooking now

Why does my bottle of syrup say "refrigerate after opening" on it. Just how much water is in my syrup?

Meanwhile my honey is 5 yrs old because I bought a gallon jug of it back in the day

Probably because its not a natural antibiotic like honey, but who knows i dont refrigerate mine

Well honey is antiseptic because it is nearly 100% sugar and nearly zero moisture but apparently my maple syrup has enough water to potentially spoil.

nice one, how long do you cook for
it will never mold, it is almost pure sugar

I guess it depends how the sap is running, if its running fast you can cook for days and keep adding sap till its thick enough, if its running slow like it is now you use what you got and boil it down till its thick enough