Why do Americans pronounce it Kooskoos?

Why do Americans pronounce it Kooskoos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dFXpICRumAg
youtu.be/AycpGsvS5rw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

coo coo

How do u pronounce it ive never heard it pronounced differently

Why do French put S's on the ends of words if they're silent?

The proper pronunciation is "cuck-pellets"

>How do u pronounce it ive never heard it pronounced differently
Um, just a wild guess here, are you American?

Obviously, that's why i asked

Obsessed etc shitty bait thread

In the UK it's more of a keuss keuss (rhymes more with wuss).

youtube.com/watch?v=dFXpICRumAg , around 1:35 you can hear Gordon Ramsey's pronunciation.

>Why do Americans pronounce it Kooskoos?

Because that's what it looks like. Literally that.

How do you pronounce quinoa?

A bigger issue is the pronunciation of basil

It's bay-zil

KEEN wah

That is how I have heard everyone say it my entire life

I grew up with a kid whose last name was Quinoa and his entire family pronounced it Kwi-no-ah. What's the deal there

Quee Nah

not enough information to answer. Could be ignorance. Could be the same spelling of a word but the root orgin of that word might be totally different. Could be the result of cultural change.

My family's name is French in origin, but the family has lived in England for several generations. We pronounce the name the way a normal English-speaking person would read it. I'm sure that's changed compared to the way our French ancestor would have pronounced it.

Is your family name Faguette?

Kek

because we have the freedom to

Its absolutely stupid to have holes in the side of a bowl like that. Are those supposed to be handles? As if I'm going to stick my fingers or thumbs into there, because the dish is SO heavy, SO slippery it surely would otherwise be dropped? I hope your couscous ends up on the floor.

It's so two people can eat from the same bowl at once

>would otherwise be dropped?

No. But it would make it easier to hold the bowl if you were tossing food in it.

Argle bargle

isnt that where the penises go?

Ptitim

Here's the most logical answer for why any word is pronounced differently:

When the word made it's way to a region, it was by the way of text based media. As no one had ever heard the word, they started pronouncing it in the manner that their regional dialect would dictate. By the time the word was heard from a more authentic source, it was too late.

We'll use the file extension ".gif" as an example/ Pretty much everyone pronounces it with a hard G, as when we all first started using it, all we had was a phoenetic expectation. Th creator of the file format has since stated that it should be pronounced Jiff. No one will ever pronounce it that way. 1 because it's phonetically retarded, and 2 because it is established.

Or everyone pronounces it with a hard G because it's the Graphics Interchange Format rather than the Giraffe Interchange Format. The creator is simply wrong.

kwee-no-AH

you mean bah-SEEL

Keemstar

youtu.be/AycpGsvS5rw

I ended up pronouncing it jif on my own without hearing anyone say it.

The reason was that I pronounced it as an acronym G-I-F

jee-ai-eff

then I got lazy and it blended

jee-ayeff
jiuff
jif

I get that it's "wrong" but I don't really care to unlearn

Fuck you.
It's pronounced with a soft G, as in gin or gem.
Take JPEG. People pronounce it as JAY-peg, but the J stands for Joint, which doesn't have a "jay" sound anywhere in it, but people still say JAY-peg.

Your example doesn't help your fucked up stance on the matter at all.