Why is wine so popular in America? It appears to be the go-to choice of every middle American housewife

Why is wine so popular in America? It appears to be the go-to choice of every middle American housewife.

Girls like it. The cheap kind of course.

A bottle of wine will get you drunk, it's sweet, and it's really cheap.
Plus it's not the same as drinking a 6pack of beer or a bunch of hard liquor. Wine is a "classy" drink, so getting wasted off of it doesn't mean you're an alcoholic or a fat redneck, you're "sophisticated".

But mostly because it's cheap and sweet.

Because it's more socially acceptable to drink nasty, flavor added fruity wine than to drink, say, half a dozen Seagrams.

It is also vague enough to imply that you might possibly be drinking something dignified or expensive, even though there's a 100% chance that the person posting about drinking wine on facebook drinks the kind of wine that has a Kangaroo on the bottle.

>100% chance that the person posting about drinking wine on facebook drinks the kind of wine that has a Kangaroo on the bottle.
Or comes in a box with a twist top in one corner.

No self-respecting suburban mom would be caught without one

this is actually a good base to make sangria with because it's so cheap and you don't mind ruining it

Wine used to be a niche thing in most of the US. The general perception was cheap wine was for bums, expensive wine for snobs and the only thing in between was sweet stuff for getting college girls drunk or celebrating Passover. Then news that a glass a day was healthy and it became normalized among the middle class as a "health" craze. Since then you've seen the lead female characters in every TV drama targeted at women drinking the stuff all through the show.

Sangria only makes wine better, friend.

Because it tastes good and housewives arent going to force themselves to drink piss beer to seem cool with their friends

Literally it just tastes good

Yellowtail has a kangaroo on the bottle and is actually quite good.

I make wine and this culture of white, vapid, lazy fucking housewifes with the sense of humor of a fucking $3 birthday card associating themselves with wine and cluttering up the wineries around my area infuriates me to no fucking end
I just want to slap the shit out of every bitch drinking Red Cat and thinking Glenora is some fancy high class shit

Its popular everywhere

What is the deal with boxing wine, anyways? I've never seen water or beer or soda sold in a fucking box. Is selling wine in a plastic jug too low class while a fucking box is just barely okay or something?

a bag in box system prevents any air from reaching the wine until it is poured. It's actually a pretty good packing method for wines that are not being put in a cellar collection.

Soda syrup for fountains is now sold almost exclusively as bag in box. Beer has carbonation, so it requires a keg, or rest assured, beer taps would run on a bag in box system too. It's logistically much better for restaurants and bars.

Interdasting...

Chillable Red was my band name in college

Ex-roastie whores trying to relive or remember their club slut days of riding chad dick because their little cuck husband don't do it for them. Since they can't be passed out drunk it's the best alternative for their alcohol withdraw.

It lets boring middle class housewives pretend to be simultaneously classy and slutty but really it just makes them look like DUDE WINE LMAO

It's cheap, available everywhere, goes down easier than liquor while still getting you drunk and brands intended for swilling are usually on the sweeter side. It also lets women feel less trashy than slamming a bottle of vodka or rum.

/thread

I have come to love the taste of wine in general

It tastes good on its own, cheap and its hard to find "bad" wine

I usually just buy cheap $5-8 bottles of wine because I've seen numerous studies proving that "professional wine tasters" can't tell the difference between $100 and $5 wine in double blind studies. Any perceived difference is all placebo effect

They also have to beat the depression of having blown out their now cavernous pussy by queefing out little turdlets called "kids."

What's your favorite $5-8 daily dinner drinker Veeky Forums?

stop spying on me sam
Im going to kill myself soon and this whole thing will end

One thing I've been seeing quite a bit of recently are these keykegs, pic related. They're disposable after use so you can ship beer without the infrastructure needed to get the metal kegs back. Still needs a gas system so not really a customer aligned system however.

Wine is decent. Some of them have interesting flavors but even then it gets old after a glass or two. You can get quality stuff for $10 a bottle if you look for it. Its basically for people who dont like the taste of alcohol. Mixed drinks dont do as good of a job covering the alcohol flavor.

Yeah I like a nice glass of wine sometimes. But even the best ones I get tired of. It's a pain for getting drunk

Although that first glass buzz is good for making you wanna talk

Lambrusco

love that memory

Julia Child.

Every other answer is wrong or a dickhead.

There is some really shit wine though.

I can't stand wine. I don't know why, but I've never had a wine I like.

I can drink beer, vodka, whiskey, cranberry juice, unsweetened grapefruit juice, but no wine. The sour alcohol taste just makes me retch.

I've tried Merlot, Zinfandel, Moscato, Pinot Grigio, all the same reaction.

>beer

Try some entry level shit, and by entry level, I mean some decent sweet wines. They're not cheap, but why would the good stuff be cheap anyways? Most people I met who claimed to not like wine rewoked their statement after trying some decent sweet wine. You should look for Spätlese or Sauternes, maybe Tokaji if youre rich. Also, fortified sweets are not decent, avoid port and sherry.

Contrary to what you see on American television wine is a poor choice in place of a cocktail. It's not really meant to drink on its own. It goes with food. Stop drinking it own its own and choose a wine that goes with a meal you like. You'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

Hah. I'm gonna act like a shithead next time I go to a winery, I hope it's yours.

Why do you associate yourself with other people's wives?

I'm a bull.

This makes me gag just looking at it.

Americans are fucking tools, and since they saw in their tv shows soccermoms downing a bottle of red for absolutely no reason every night they do the same like the mindless drones they are.
Same happened with olive oil, mozzarella etc etc

Sauternes isn't cheaper than tokaji m8, dunno what planet you live on

The first world aka the USA.

Oh and
>fortified sweet wines are no good
Most pleb thing I've heard in my life

You don't listen to yourself much, do you?

why do other people's wives associate with ME?

Not the USA on planet earth

meme alcohol

You're a meme.

Neat

why dont people just take ethanol in a pill and then drink grape juice

why do people want alcohol in their beverages?

This XP

>why dont people just take ethanol in a pill and then drink grape juice
Wine can be very complex. People like complex flavors. Also it's both a food and a drug. Foods like that inspire connoisseurship - people really get into the nuances of their flavors. You see it with wine, beer, whiskey, coffee and tea.
>why do people want alcohol in their beverages?
People like drugs.

no i mean why arent they interested in the different grape juices of the world? and leave out the alcohol because it only detracts from the juice?

it just makes it taste poisonous

take the ethanol in the pill and then we can have discussion about our non alcoholic wheat drink or grape drink

do you understand what im saying

it makes no sense

Merlot man who likes the taste and likes the kind of drunk it gets me. Also basic bitches only drink Chardonnay and moscato.

Apothic Dark or red by Liberty Creek.

they can take their purified ethanol through injection if they like drugs

but dont put it in the beverages

its really bizarre to me

drink your grape juice/wheat drink and then on the side take your ethanol in capsule or injection

dont ruin a drink with that poison

you might as well put alcohol on roast beef sandwiches if youre going to put alcohol in your grape juice

Sauternes is cheaper than Tokaji here in Hungary, and hungarian wines' prices have a tendency of skyrocketing when being exported.

>basic bitches drink Bâtard-Montrachet
Lol

Like I said, the most desirable wines tend to have complex flavors. They take you on a journey from the first smell to the last lingering taste after you've swallowed it. And it's a drug, so people who are into it will nerd out about it.

Grape juice doesn't scratch the same itch. That shit is way too sweet to pair well with most food and too simple in flavor to attract the interest of connoisseurs the way foods like cheese and chocolate do.

OMG I have that fuckers shit eating face burned into my memory. Thanks for flaring up my PTSD

stop replying to obvious bait mate

wine is just grape juice with alcohol in it dude

and the alcohol only makes it taste worse and like a medicine

stop acting like wine is a thing, its honestly a double standard if you arent also an expert in grape juices

if its too sweet but wine has the same amount of sugar retard

>I don't know what fermentation is

>if its too sweet but wine has the same amount of sugar retard

Were you dropped as a child? Wine has much less sugar than grape juice. This ought to be evident because of the alcohol. The alcohol didn't magically appear, it was created by the yeast feeding off the sugar from the grapes.

Also, riesling is the best sweet wine, hands down.

I am reminded fondly of high school.

>Yellowtail ... is actually quite good
I don't envy your palate

If you mean best affordable, I agree.

Yeah, best affordable. I can't afford anything else though, hahah

>Wine has much less sugar than grape juice.

might wanna double check on that

Dry Rieslings are good, too.

Cant argue with that

Simple to test. Get a cheap hydrometer at a brew supply store. Test grape juice, rinse and test a dry wine like merlot, burgundy or cardonnay. My dry wines ferment out to a 1.000 specific gravity. I guarantee you grape juice is somewhere around 1.040.

What casual snacks go well with dark red wine, Veeky Forums?

Why is normie culture so weird?

Being this butthurt

what the fuck is wrong with Australian wine you bigot

Not that guy, but what's wrong with it is that it's fucking terrible, don't you "but muh grange" me

All overcooked fruit, no oak to balance it out.

Like overcooked fruit that tastes like oak chips is any better

I use to play D&D with a guy that would put away a bottle of this shit every weekend while we played. I tried it once and I can't believe he drank that shit every week.

>avoid port
fuck you
port is fantastic

My butthurt knows no bounds

Can't do reds or sweet wines, but I will definitely knock back a bottle of seyval blanc.

Maybe just a poorfag here, but any port I tried was utter shit, but I have to add I never went above $30. But if you recommend me something internationally available in this price range, I might aswell try it.

A little oak can balance out a big fruity wine, making it a little less insipid. My problem with Australian wine (and I'm talking the good ones, I've been a few times) is that you can taste that the fruit is good, but there really isn't much else going on in the wine. And I'm cool with that when you're making lighter wines. Light simple and fruity is fine. But when you get into big heavy wines all fruit all the time is too much for me. Australia is not as bad as Argentina in this regard, where it seems to be a competition among winemakers to see how much "extraction" they can achieve. But heavy unoaked wines seem unbalanced to me.

All of the excellent ports I have had is $50-60 dollars a bottle or higher.
Never buy port that doesnt mention how long its been aged, go for 10 year minimum.
Sandman 15 year is pretty good if you can find it

My friends claim to taste fruit and shit in wine while all I get is acetone.
I think I liked the malbeck a bit more, but whatever white I had was horrible. How do I into wine?

there are a variety of wine styles and different folks like different wines
I personally like rieslings, vino verde, some dessert wines like port or icewine and thats mostly it.

Just keep trying different styles until you find one you like.

>ethanol in a pill
that would be a lot of pills

>Veeky Forums can drink trash like beer and whiskey but not wine

What the fuck

I thought it was for cooking, that's what I use boxed wine for anyway.

This is bait.

It's just social perception. I hate the taste of alcohol but I'd much rather down a couple quick shots of liquor than have to drink an entire bottle of wine.

I am a straight white male, and this is the only wine I like.

>avoid port

You don't like cheese user? It's the best accompaniment, hands down.

port is great, but not great for people just easing into wine