Mushroom

This mushroom is growing out of my door frame. It looks kind of like a wood ear, but I'm no mycologist. Anyone know what this is? Can I eat it?

Other urls found in this thread:

discovermagazine.com/2013/julyaug/13-mushrooms-clean-up-oil-spills-nuclear-meltdowns-and-human-health
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes you can eat it.

Google Auricularia auricula-judae.
Now fuck off back to /pol/.

of course you can eat mushrooms

some even multiple times

I WOULDN'T EAT ANYTHING GROWING ON TREATED WOOD, OR OLD WOOD THAT MAY HAVE HAD LEAD PAINT ON IT

Looks like jews ear to me. Good in soups.

yup it looks good

wood ear mushroom. The chinese dry them out and eat them.

>I just guessed really. Please don't eat this on my account.

Do lead mushrooms exist?
I was more worried about it leaching the cyanide from the treated wood.

Don't eat that

-God

looks gross as hell, i wouldn't eat that even if it were edible

Go to bed son

Don't eat mushroom you don't know even if Veeky Forums tells you it's edible.

Ask /an/

As a mushroomologist I say eat it and keep us updated on your condition.

>mushroomologist
Fucking retard.

Checkmate.

>Pic related. my credentials

kek

I'm a mycologist, but I deal with human pathogenic ones only. The thing to remember is that the "mushroom" that you see is only 10% of the fungus. The remaining 90% is in the form of hair like mycelia spreading in your door frame. If your house is made of wood or have major wooden panels/beans, have it looked at for white rot.

>he made that just for this shitpost

Yes Timmy, back in the day people created what was then known as OC

so what the fuck did people use 9gag for back then?

Reposting OC I would imagine

only correct answer so far

Yep looks safe to me

Imma eat that.

-Man

Actually

doesn't look like anything to me

Mushrooms absorb nasties from their environment, yes.

Paul Stamets was consulted on using mushrooms to help decontaminate the area around Fukushima.

discovermagazine.com/2013/julyaug/13-mushrooms-clean-up-oil-spills-nuclear-meltdowns-and-human-health

I call samefagging.

>the "mushroom" that you see is only 10% of the fungus
The tip of the iceberg!

Where do you live? Make a spore print by placing the plucked mushroom over a plain white surface such as a piece of printer paper and waiting several hours. Post a picture of the color of the spores which were dispersed.

Also, I sure hope there's more than just that one mushroom if you're going to go through the trouble.

>this level of effort for a joke

Sir I applaud you

You are not real

So typical

- A woman

Would you eat your door? If so, go ahead and eat the thing that is growing off of it.

The risk of eating strange mushrooms (liver failure and death, or life with disability), is never worth the gains. In addition to poisonous look-a-like of edibles, the growing medium might make the mushroom not good for your health (lead e.g.)

If you want to eat mushrooms, go to the market! There's fresh, there's canned, there's dried! If you want them really fresh, there are kits you can buy that lets you grow your own in a controlled environment.

Don't be a dumb fag OP

It takes time for the poison to take effect, so there have been people who eat the same poisonous mushroom soup more than once before they had to go to the hospital.

I think that was the story that made it to Reader's Digest, it was 'Ghost Mushroom' that looked like an edible mushroom they had before, and it didn't taste poisonous... I think all members of that family actually survived, but suffered loss of organs.

As a mushroomologist I can safely say its edible. I would eat it raw with rice and seawood

is the drawing of a mushroom supposed to be the mushroom king's signature? If so bravo.

Eve and Pandora created every bad thing on this planet because bitches just don't listen.

Kek

10/10

Witnessed

>Auricularia auricula-judae.

Mushrooms are one of the hardest things to ID. Experts have poisoned themselves on accident. There are just so many varieties, some of which look the same and may or may not be posion.

You fucking ret-

You idiot.

Eat it for us and post back

Good god, that is disgusting. By all means, eat it.

>experts poison themselves on wild mushrooms

Lel, no. "Experts" take spore samples if they're not sure and examine them under a microscope, idiot. Also, there are a numer of species like morels, chantrelles or hen of the woods that bare no similarity to a poisonous variety. You're an imbecile.

>Ghost Mushroom
>All Google results are related to WoW items
I don't think Warcraft is an acceptable source here

I would mention Orellanine. It has a latency of a few days up to weeks, and if you don't simply die you most likely have to live without working kidneys.

I'm shitting thats the funniest thing I've seen all week, thanks user

Glad I came to Veeky Forums today

>another mycologist on Veeky Forums
Really?

What do you do research with, Cryptococcus or Candida?

God's work, user, God's work.

Just do it.