Homemade corn tortillas

We all love tacos, right? Making your own corn tortillas is the simplest thing on earth. And flavor BTFO corporate stale preservative plastic wrap cardboard.

2 cups Masa (I use Nixtamalized because more robust flavor)
1 1/2 cups hot water

Mix until paste forms. Roll into @ 1.8 oz balls. Press in tortilla press. Cook in iron heated to medium for 30 seconds, flip, cook another 30, flip and cook another 30.

Taco night tonight lads in support of the protesters of the "day without immigrants".

Can you make hard shells?

Yeah, but it's a bit hard.

>Hi /pol/
>Corn
>Mexican, trying too hard, or a cow

Shit tortillas, shit tamales, shit filler food with no value.

Yeah. Just cook them for a little bit less time on each side and fry in 350F oil, preferably lard but vegetable oil works fine too. You know how ther's a special mex restaurant that always has toptier chips? They made their own.

Here's a pic of a finished one.

>post homemade food
>you're /pol/, a spic or a cow

Lel, no. Where's the pic of your tendies or burger for dinner, child?

>Corn is not "food"

I am having a personally harvested venison steak dinner with garden grown sliced potatoes and carrots in butter I made from my goats and a couple hard boiled eggs from my hens. I did have to buy the salt and pepper, but I did grow the garlic.

You were saying about your "masa"...

>having a personally harvested venison steak dinner with garden grown sliced potatoes and carrots in butter I made from my goats and a couple hard boiled eggs from my hens. I did have to buy the salt and pepper, but I did grow the garlic

Great! I got my deer this year with a bow. I grow potatoes too, so if I'm right where I'm guessing you're from, I know that the starch has turned to sugar by mid-february and they taste like shit. I'm planting my potaoes in a week or two depending on weather. I also grow garlic planted in October and we'll harvest in May. I'll post a pic of the refrigerator drawer full from last year and the garden plot tomorrow when it's light if the thread is still going.

We have a lot in common except for your unreasonable hate for the same kind of people our ancestors were. Human brains can be large, even in the south. You should seek that expansion.

Why lie when you're Anonymous?

I need to watch my friend's mom make them some time.
Mine never turn out as good as hers do.

is it worth it compared to store bought ones. i mean i can get 50-75 of them which is probably a kilogram or so for $3 at the market

I hunt and grew up in northern Ontario and never heard a hunter say "personally harvested" anything.

Try it once and decide for yourself.
Most people I know would answer "yes" (if someone else is making them).

maybe i will

.. the work * cost / return math doesn't seem to work out though

Please do. Idk what you could be doing wrong since it's so simple.

I'm somewhat tempted to try this. "Tortilla press" sounds like something I don't want, given the rarity with which I'd use it. Any recommended alternatives? Like a rolling pin, or smushing the masa ball between frying pans and pressing my weight down on it?

>cost effectiveness

Good point. Let's see. I bought a 5 lb bag @ 2.2 kg for 2.50 USD. Water and heat is really trivial. You pay 3.00 USD per kilogram, so yes, it's both a superior product and cheaper for very little labor.

I bought that press at a thrift store for 5.00 USD. I've seen them at international markets for 20.00 USD, though. I guess it depends on how often you eat corn tortillas. I like them, so it's fairly often. You can use a rolling pin, but it turns it into a much bigger chore.

well, i'm not in the usa so i don't know the going rate for masa flour around here but even walmart.com has it listed for $2.88usd/lb so i'm going to assume it's closer to that price or more where i live

plus the cost of electricity which i've calculated at ~ $0.50 /kg

plus the cost of a tortilla press which i'm also sure will be annoying to find where i live

I bought the masa at an international market that goes through tons of it so the price is cheap. Plus, they carry nixtamalized which you don't find at walmart. The press is dirt cheap, but if you're poor, use a rolling pin.

Christ, that's the price for heating a skillet or griddle? Just curious, what shithole do you live in?

canada

also not poor, just legitimately trying to ascertain if it's worth the considerably more effort for a negligible savings

guess i'll just have to track down the flour and see how much it costs

i calculated the electricty at $0.105 / kwh (which is below average in the usa) with your instructions of 90 seconds per tortilla assuming 1 kg makes 50 tortillas

But you're from Canada. Kidding, just fucking around. I do make mine thicker than store bought, so I got around 10 1.9 oz tortillas with 2 cups of the masa.

You know, both are cheap. But there is a distinctly better flavor from fresh. Plus you get the satisfation of making it yourself.

> being able to obtain masa

Must be nice living in a third-world LatAm shithole like the U.S.

>the cost of electricity which i've calculated at ~$0.50 /kg

I'm impressed you found a way to measure electricity using units of mass. Somebody alert CERN, they've been doing it wrong for years.

>living in a third-world LatAm shithole like the U.S.

It's OK for a few things. But I just did a quick google on "masa for sale" and it can easily be bought via internet, so you could be living in Antarctica and obtain it.

I bet your pal just "personally harvested" his dick out your ass, faggot.

>in support of the protesters of the "day without immigrants".
If this hasn't been on the news of have never known about it.