What's better, letting your steak get to room temperature before cooking...

What's better, letting your steak get to room temperature before cooking, or put it in a pan/grill right out of the fridge?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE
seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you think dumbass

That's a lot of salt

If your steak is cold, it'll be slightly easier to get a good sear without overcooking the centre.

But given that heat transfer rate is proportional to the temperature difference, it doesn't make a huge difference either way.

for you

Gotta season it bro.

I like very rare steak so I find it's much much better if I get the steak warmed all the way through first

That's the opposite of how that works

Room temp. Also remove moisture with paper towel. Season with pepper and salt. Sear 2 to 3.5 minutes each side depending on taste. Add butter.

What kind of meat are you using? Sirloin? T-bone? Different meats needs different techniques.

i assume he means warmed all the way through to room temperature

That's still the opposite of how it works
If he wants it cold in the middle, then he shouldn't leave it to warm up

This doesn't require overthinking
Good sear + Rare centre requires a large temperature gradient
Cold centred steak + Hot pan is a large temperature gradient

I don't want it fucking cold in the middle. I want it body temperature or warmer all the way through and seared on the outside. I don't know who decided "rare" means cold in the middle but they should be shot.

Relatively speaking, genius

Relatively is no way to cook. Most steak houses will serve you a rare steak that is below room temperature in the middle. Some waiters will even argue with you if you try to specifically ask for the steak to be pre-warmed.

For thinner sliced steaks I don't think it really matters. I see people talking about making sure the inside is warm but yeah as long as you let the steak rest 5 minutes before cutting it that really shouldn't be a problem.

Very thick cut steaks, you know restaurant quality can be a different story.

if it rests n reaches room temp then it should come out not cold right?

Doneness is temperature dude
A rare 45 degrees C is 45 degrees C whether you left it out of the fridge or not

>cooking warm meat
what are you, a barbarian?

Yeah, honestly room temp is enough because just the searing of the outside will bring the inside up to a pleasant temperature

I was going to jump down your throat about doneness being about texture not temperature but then I converted to fahrenheit and yes. I would agree that's about what it should be.

gotta let that shit sit out for awhile. i'm currently in the process of doing that myself. just picked up this bad boy for from the butcher shop.

>room temp is enough
Enough?
It's not gonna get hotter than room temp if you leave it in a room, friend

But this illustrates the point; if you start with a uniformly warm steak, you need to go for a really hot sear after waiting for the steak to warm up (which takes longer than most people expect, usually an hour or two for a medium steak in an average room).

Whereas you can just take it out the fridge, sear it a little more gently for a little longer, and end up with the same crust and internal temperature. Maybe the gradient will look a little different, but nonetheless, it's a lot less effort.

I heard letting it "come to temp" is a meme because the amount of heat you're cooking with is much stronger than the internal coldness. It's not generating cold, it's absorbing heat. It's a negligible difference, like the boiling temperature of water with the small amount of salt you put in

This isn't hard maths to do
Meat is mostly water, and its thermal mass is therefore pretty hefty. On the steak surface, sure, it's not going to matter - but the inside of the steak has a whole steak's worth of insulation, and the initial temperature of the meat definitely makes a sizable contribution to how the centre will end up when cooked under identical conditions.

Not that you WOULD cook them the same way, of course.

If I leave it on top of the plasma tv it's going to get warmer than if I stick it under the sink.

you're right that meat is pretty bad

kek

More than temperature, the reason you should let your steak sit out is to dry the surface and move the muscle enzymes to the center, so you can get a fine sear without having the reason for a rare steak seep out.

you shut yo damn mouth fool. this steak came out beautiful.

that steak looks bad, and you should kill yourself for drinking a pbr with it

>that steak looks bad
It was delicious.
>and you should kill yourself for drinking a pbr with it
Hey man pbr is s good cheap beer.

Shut your god damn mouth. They don't give those blue ribbons out for anything.

If you can do that with those two pieces of sad bovine arseflap posted earlier, I'd like to see what you can do with a real cut. Should let it rest on another surface first though, steak juices ruining the aesthetic of your fancy hand chipped potatoes is criminal.

Makes no difference.

Besides, it takes fucking hours for a steak to get up to room temperature. Anyone who says they take their steak out of the fridge a half hour beforehand so it can get to room temperature either lives in the jungle or is full of shit.

Hot pan. Oil. Seasonings. Five minutes. Steak comes out with a dark brown crust and a deep red interior. Perfect. It's not rocket science.

>the initial temperature of the meat definitely makes a sizable contribution to how the centre will end up when cooked under identical conditions.
That's a nice theory, but it's been dis-proven in practice.

youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE

>eating a steak with your fingers

I got nothing against PRB, but its not something you drink with steak.

Also, that steak needed to be seared more.

>cooking cold meat
Read a cook book, faggot

Yeah that 16 C difference is so significant when it is coming into contact with >175 C temperatures.

lol faggot

It literally makes absolutely no fucking difference.

Now someone post the study about it.

i eat bone-in steaks with my hands in my home

I did this about an hour ago, shit was cash

Can't be assed to do it. Let them do whatever they want if it makes them feel better.
Isn't worth the effort to re-educate people who think they know everything about cooking.
seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Its not about the heat difference, its about the steak resting before cooking.

But if you wanna talk about heat, the less sharp the change in temperature, the better it is for the meat.

meat is supposed to be eaten with hands pleb.

Better to leave out so that it gets some bacteria on it for flavor

i just sous vide everything though

>he doesn't eat his fatty steaks (ribeye etc.) at medium

Meat isn't supposed to have the same sodium content as your blood.

Sous Vide and blow torch is easy mode, i like some challenge.

Do people expect resturants to have steaks sitting out at room temp?

>easy mode
no it's perfect mode. also cast iron skillet is better than blowtorch. 2 min highest heat gas range each side. you literally can't achieve the sous vide result without one.

good marbling

I wish this meme would die that you need to let your steaks come to temperature before cooking. Thermodynamics specifically shows it would wake 2-3 hours of sitting at room temperature after being removed from a refrigerator to have a sizable difference in temperature internally

It's best to sous vide any how

the real purpose of having it sit like that with salt on it to make it more receptive to a marinade. Has very little impact on the actual cooking.

only real merit of cast iron is it's heat retention. Heavy stainless or induction would work the same.

Some people sear it out of the freezer, then finish at low temperature in the oven (or sous vide if you swing that way).

The layer of overdone meat is kept thin that way, similar to cry-fried and flame searing.