Aldi

Do you ever shop at Aldi? What do you get? It seems to be pretty reasonably priced, maybe even better than Walmart. I got a bunch of snacks there tonight and the potato chips were like a dollar less than Lays at Walmart, and they tasted better. The bargain wine was slightly cheaper and better tasting too. I'm thinking of going more often.

I buy my staple products there such as milk, butter, eggs cheese, etc but I don't buy any of their processed snacks or frozen vegetables because most of it comes from either China or some other weird arse country on the other side of the planet.

Aldi here used to be for poor people only. They charged you for grocery bags, took only cash, or welfare money, and generally had generic products.

I have not been in one for about 10 years, but from what I hear they are much more refined now.

Funny, I used to live half a block from one for 6 years, only went in there once, saw all the nig nogs, and left.
Explained why I kept seeing so many nigs on my block.

Britbong here. I have done the main bulk of my shopping at Aldi for years. I do probably 80% of my shpping here then call at Tesco for the stuff I can't get at Aldi.

Lots of their stuff is really tasty and really reasonably priced. I've found it's just a case of trial and error and finding what you like. I stay away from the cheap microwave meals (although I would stay away from them from anywhere!), some of the cheaper wines can be pretty bad (but they do have some good ones too).

The super 6 and weekly offers are great for keeping costs down and adding some variety.

9/10 would shop there again.

Aldi is garbage. Only good if you don't have cheap ethnic markets nearby.

>shopping at Aldi when Lidl is an option
wat

When I lived in flyover I had a friend who loved this place and couldn't shut up about it.

So I went there and it was fucking terrifying. Giant bins of freezer burned Chinese tilapia and other poverty foods in the worst condition. Poor people everywhere. I don't think I found a single item that I wasn't scared to eat.

We have something like it where I live now, it is called Trader Joes and it is the same crap, but with cute panda bears on the labels so that gullible youngsters think it's wholesome. When they first opened the kids went crazy lining up down the block, and it's still wildly popular. When they reach their late 20s I guess they eventually get wise enough to figure out how terrible it is and they upgrade to a real grocery store.

In the UK, does Aldi import most of its shit from Asia? Here, canned corn is from Thailand, lots of their processed snacks are from China etc. They do have some really good stuff that's local, I just refuse to buy frozen green beans from Belgium when I'm in Australia and we grow plenty of beans here. Yeah sure it's cheaper, but it doesn't do anything for local farmers.

>not shopping at winco

>Poor people everywhere. I don't think I found a single item that I wasn't scared to eat.

Underrated post.

what the fug is Lidl?

The worst fucking grocery store except maybe Centra or Bilo.

I dunno if you're making shit up or went to one that was halfway through remodelling, but Aldi looks pretty much like your standard supermarket except smaller and less expensive. And they carry many of the same brands as "normal" stores.

germans screwed with walmart, so I'll screw with aldi. I will never shop there because it is german owned.

Aldi is a meme. Everyone thinks it's great but in reality people only go there because they're too poor to shop at M&S and Waitrose.

>trader joes
>bad
kill yourself

Another German discounter chain.

Let me rephrase that, poor whites and poor blacks. The worst kind of poor. If you aren't a fresh off the boat immigrant you have no excuse.

>your standard supermarket
I don't know what you mean by "your" and "standard", sometimes I shop at a place that sells alba truffles priced by the gram and $90 bottles of vinegar, and sometimes I shop at the place where the lady in line in front of me is using her food stamps card and the Yemenese owner yells at his staff in pidgin Spanish, it all depends on what I'm after. Are you saying there is only one kind of grocery store around you?

TJs is nasty bro, sorry. Just because it's got rain forest animals on the packaging doesn't make it "healthy", they don't even sell real food. Just junk food for lazy people.

>dont even sell real food
>have produce
>have meat
>have fish
>have dry goods
>have canned goods
how the fuck do they not have "real food"
you realize the entire store isnt offbrand cookies right?

Still charge for bags but just bring sone of their bags, they hold up for a year or more

>produce
They have like onions, carrots, bananas, and lettuce. The produce section is proportionally very small compared to a decent grocery store for adults.
>meat
Like 3 shelves of sketchy pre-packed meat, pre-ground beef, bacon, etc.
>fish
Tilapia and sketchy farm raised salmon
>dry goods
Yeah, they have a lot of that.
>canned goods
Yep, some of that too. And a lot, a LOT, of frozen foods.
>you realize the entire store isnt offbrand cookies right?
True, also offbrand peanut butter, offbrand rancid olive oil, offbrand goji berries, offbrand tahini, offbrand cereal, offbrand granola bars, you get the idea.

>onions, carrots, bananas, and lettuce
sure thing dude, you obviously have never actually been into a trader joes
>3 shelves of meat
sure thing dude, you obviously have never actually been into a trader joes
>tilapia and sketchy farm raised salmon
i will give you this one, i buy all my fish from asian markets

and if you agree that they have canned goods, dry goods and offbrand stuff how is ANY OF THAT not real food?

>b-but i am just exaggerating to make my bitching sound better
get over yourself dude.
Trader joes is fine.

Aldi Nord always sells those weird pickled foods and dry sausages everywhere, even in the impulse purchase sections. Who the hell waits in line at the grocery store and thinks to himself, "Man, I could go for some pickled eggs and dried Belarusian salami right now!"

I've been to three, the one off Union Square in NY when it first opened (nothing but junk food), the one on 22nd and 6th when it first opened (same), and the one on Diversey and Clark in Chicago a few years after it opened. The one in Chicago was slightly better but the inventory basically appeals exclusively to people whose idea of "cooking" involves a microwave. There are no exceptions to this rule and if you disagree with me you obviously wouldn't be able to tell a shallot from a turnip without using google.

the one by me is hood af and i refuse to blend with the dregs. i wish there were one in a nicer part of town

again, the existence of microwave ready food and frozen good do not make the rest of the food there non-existent.

Racist

I love shopping at aldis for certain items, like basic toiletries and I quite like their cottage cheese and veggies. I bounce between there and Wegmans, luckily only the normal poor people shop at my Aldis while the scumbags stay over at Walmart

Some Aldi food is good - better even than similarly priced food elsewhere. Other food is god awful and you just have to find out for yourself. Also, their food seems so cheap because it comes in strange sizes not usually found in other stores - even name brand items so it's very difficult to actually comparison shop ounce for ounce in your head.

I don't think I've ever seen a Black in my Aldis.

>The worst kind of poor. If you aren't a fresh off the boat immigrant you have no excuse.

Fuck off you stupid cunt

Aldi doesn't have an s on the end of it.

Doesn't it?
Well, then I've been sounding like a tard for fucking years.
Thanks.

Aldi does Trader Joes.

Yes, yes you have

It's never been called Aldis

You don't have to rub it in, you fucking sword swallower.

>This guy who hates Aldis and trader joes even though theyre amongst the highest favorited stores in the nation on record

>aldis

WHERE DOES THIS S KEEP COMING FROM?

I call it Aldi's too user. I've never heard anyone IRL say it without the 's added on.

The Aldi's here isn't bad. Milk, precooked frozen shit (I'm looking at you, tendies fags), and most dairy stuff are the only things that aren't worth buying there. Their meat selection is tiny, but they have special deals every week that are worth it.

Fuck Aldis.
>2008
>Mom had long since left my Dad and moved away with her new boyfriend
>Dad got layed off from his job at GSU
>Every week he'd always buy the same shit from Aldis
>A few frozen pizzas
>Cans of "sirloin", chicken noodle, and vegetable soup
>Canned Ravioli
>Ramen
>Rice puff cereal
>A gallon of Ice Cream
>2 gallons of whole milk

Always the exact same list slowly whittling away at what small funds he had planned on saving for retirement. All he ever ate was Cheerios and ice cream with milk in the bowl.

so he put cheerios and milk and then ice cream in the same bowl

ARGHHHHHHHH

IT'S NOT ALDIS

IT'S ALDI

THERE IS NO S

Bump

It's not fucking aldis ok, it's Aldi