Should I go with the 6qt or 8qt?

Should I go with the 6qt or 8qt?

Yes.

8. You can always use an 8 for 6 but not a 6 for 8

One of the few instances in existence where bigger is better...

However, I like to advocate for homecooks and wannabe homecooks to purchase an electric pressure cooker instead, which offers much better mileage and is more user friendly to these particular market segments. But of course, please feel free to disregard this opinion otherwise.

presto 01370. I use it every day.

You can cook a small amount in a big pressure cooker but you can't do a big amount in a small one. Biggest you can get is the way to go.

4 qt is large enough for most applications

6. You're never going to have any more friends.

Bigger volume, bigger BOOM

the pressure cooker is like the perfect man appliance. it cooks fast and is a little dangerous.

I'm a veteran pressure cooker user. I definitely could not survive with only a 6 qt pressure cooker. 8 quart or bust.

I'm a veteran human and I've survived for 32 years without a pressure cooker.

if you're growing mushrooms get a larger one. The more jars you can fit the better.

i have a 24 quart

it's not too big

It is too big.

not even close

i wouldn't consider anything less than 12 quarts useful

you are missing out man. My pc change my life. beans every day, man. lentils, carrots, oh man. I've lost a ton of weight

3.14qt

Can someone give me a rundown on these things? I get the concept, but what do you generally use them to cook? It seems like most foods would come out unpleasant.

I cook rice & beans also with mine. Greens cook up really quick too.

I'll usually cook two frozen bags of some kind of greens (collards, kale, turnip) for the week.

just saute up some garlic & crushed red pepper & throw in the PC with some salt & the greens & water. Bring up to pressure & then reduce heat for 5 minutes. I add vinegar after they are done, but many people would rather just add hotsauce/vinegar at the table.

8 quart all the way.

Anything that you'd simmer for a long time can be done in one third the time. That's pretty much it, but there are lots of long simmering dishes you wouldn't make on a Tuesday night without one. And you'll never buy canned beans again.

cheaper cuts of meat that you would slow cook for long periods of time work well and take much less time. Also works amazing for making your own stock from bones. Bought a rotisserie chicken from the store ? once you have eaten the meat off the bird throw it in the PC for 30 minutes under pressure with some water (and vegetables if you like) and you will have chicken stock. You would be surprised how much more meat will then come off the birds carcass.

Great also for beans, rice, and any vegetables that would take a long time to cook.

Thanks, user. My parents like to have beans that are pretty much cooked all day when we have cornbead and the like, so maybe it'd be a good investment. I've used a crockpot for roast (mixed with potatoes, carrots, etc) and sometimes spare ribs when I don't have time to cook them in the oven. Would either of those be any good in a pressure cooker?

Thanks other user. It's nice to see people being helpful on here. I've only bought chicken stock from the store, but I think I'll try making my own if I ever buy a pressure cooker. It's probably just a mental thing, but meals taste better to me when I use less pre-premade shit.

I would buy one that is stainless steel instead of aluminum. Aluminum will react with any acidic foods you cook with (tomatoes, lemon) and give your food a metallic taste. Stainless steel will cost a little more, but worth it.

Also with beans throw in a ham hock or smoked turkey neck and you will get great flavor.

Well done.

lel

Get the absolute largest, tallest one you can find, and then you have a jumping off point to join the canning master race.

Canning masterrace reporting in. Smoked salmon and stock for your perusal. Pressure canning only, however.

go with the 8qt, it's better to have the space and not always need it, than to find out too late that you should have bought the bigger one

I have a 7 qt Tfal that I am happy with. i wouldn't want a smaller one, so i would recommend that you go with larger... you can always cook smaller amounts in a large vessel. in a small vessel you are limited to that size.

if you want to do any canning, i would imagine a tall 8 qt is the bare minimum to do more than 3 or 4 cans at a time.

my 7qt will do a small roast, or a nice pot of beans or lentils. I don't know if a 6 qt would do it so easily.

take into account that you are never supposed to fill it more than about 2/3rds full because you need to have a pressurized head space.... so a 6 qt vessel is really a 4 qt maximum operational volume. I consider a 5 qt pot to be the bare minimum size i will consider using for cooking almost anything.

here's a 25 lb squash i did

But those are jars not cans