Knife thread. Are shun and wüsthof the best knives for nonretarded peices? Looking at a shun 7 inch santoku rn...

Knife thread. Are shun and wüsthof the best knives for nonretarded peices? Looking at a shun 7 inch santoku rn, and i like the steel better than wüsthof's . Anyone else i should look into for that price?

Other urls found in this thread:

pj.dk/living/cookware/yaxell-ran-7-piece-knife-block-set
ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Forged-10-034-CHEF-039-S-Knife-Professional-Kitchen-Cutlery-Full-Tang-NEW-/371382219642
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tojiro DP and spend the rest on sharpening gear

Shun and Wusthof are both fine for a mid/high end home cook or professional.

They're like a jaguar or Mercedes. High production, mid range price, decent performance for the $.

The knives from the 14th generation blacksmith in Kyoto will be more like a Ferrari. Very high end, very high performing, but requires care and will cost significantly more than higher production models but only offer slightly more performance compared to the jaguar or Mercedes.

Or you could get Tojiro, Misono, Mac, Suisin, or Masamoto, and get nearly the same performance as the 14th generation yoshimoto samurai katana minus the finicky behavior of kurouchi construction and/or retardedly complicated edge geometry.

I don't know why everyone acts like the only alternative to overpriced Williams Sonoma brands is some ridiculous custom made honyaki thing that costs $900.

Because those will generally have SOME manufacturing imperfections until you reach the ~$300 + range at which point, I'd rather just pony up for a $1000 meme blade that's custom made to my liking

>oh no I needed to reprofile the edge, better go spend $1000 instead
Lol ok

Zwilling Twin and Tojiro DP are the big brands in the same price range. I'd just get something really cheap like an Ergo Chef Prodigy.

I'm at my in-laws house for the weekend and their knives are horrendously dull. I mean, I can't even cut a lime in two. The only sharpening stone I have is a small camping version that's too smooth to put an edge on a dull blade. What else can I use?

Sandpaper.

Unfinished ceramic on coffeecup/bowl if not gonna chip it like an autist

I found some sanding blocks in the garage, and I'm going to give 'em a go...

Having purchased some of the "14th generation blacksmith in Kyoto" knives you speak of, let me be the one to assure you that NO, they will not offer "slightly more performance". They will offer exactly zero % more performance while costing a lot more and require a watchful eye to prevent them from rusting.

That said they aren't a bad purchase if you find gratification out of owning such knives like I do.

Generally they'll be higher quality steel than Shun/Wusthof.
So yeah, performance will be better.

Shun VG-10 is fine, but it wont compare to the edge of an Aogami Super blade from a good smith.

Or just plain old hitachi white or blue, no "super", from a no-name smith

My $39 blue steel shikoku shitknife runs circles around my VG-10 knife in the performance department

Trouble is it looks like shit, the blade profile is shit, and the ergonomics are shit

I'm sure the edge retention of the Hitachi Blue steel is better than VG-10 but all the steels in higher end knives from Shun on up can take a ridiculously fine shaving sharp edge and keep it for a good long while. This is all the while VG-10 has excellent stain resistance so you don't need to worry about a droplet of water left on the blade before you put it away, and you never have to wipe it down with an oiled rag, ever.

I enjoy regular knife care such as oiling, honing, sharpening, etc. Part of owning a good knife in my opinion anyway.

the problem with VG10 is it's gummy as fuck on the stones and the burr has retard strength and can only be removed with like $50 of special deburring accessories that you don't need for other steels

with hitachi blue you just grind and go, flipping the blade is literally all you need to do to "deburr", there is no separate process

I don't know anything about knives but I got these bad boys as a gift when I moved into my apartment and they're fucking great.

Take any piece of old leather or cloth and grab a $5 block of green metal polish from Harbor Freight. Wire edge problems weren't

>1945+74
>Using sharpening where a burr visible and not just a wire burr that you see with a jewlers lens and feeling with finger

>harbor freight shilling intensifies
I use dialux vert and a hanging strop, but the point is, it shouldn't be necessary

I need help sharpening my serrated blade. What the fuck do I do

pray

I enjoy sharpening and after professionally sharpening and restoring blades for year
Honestly, youre better off having it professionally done. Most normal people sont have the stones or rods needed. If you wanna drop $70 on dmt diafold rods go for it, they work well

Just a quick question. Why does a steel rod hone and sharpen an edge on a blade that's forged harder than the rod? Seems kind of fake to me.

They arent fully smooth rods in some cases abd remove aimilarly to a stone.
In other cases, its straightening a fild in the steel. It doesnt have to be super hard to do either.

You really wouldn't WANT it to be that much harder now that I think about it. You're not trying to scratch the metal or scrape away metal, you're just trying to gently bang the curled bits straight again.

Treat them right and they will last a lifetime.

VG-10 is not a very good steel for kitchen knife applications as it's pretty lacking in apex stability (resistance to microscopic chipping and rolling at the apex) compared to relatively pure carbon steels (e.g. Hitachi white and blue, 1095, 52100, O-1) and specially designed low-carbide stainless steels (AEB-L, LC200n, Nitrobe 77) which have much better apex stability, and therefore edge retention in kitchen cutlery applications where cutting board contacts are the primary blunting mechanism.

I needed a new knife and all I could find were
>Wusthof
>Zwilling Henckels
>Global
€120-140 each

Then I talked to a small shop guy, he let me know he still had a Victorinox (forged) knife around
Let me have it for €81

It's pretty nice.

This book is pretty nice btw

Cheap too.

Nice. Treat it right and it will outlast you.

No love for Rada?

Must be a really old one (not that this is a bad thing with knives of course, often it's the opposite). Victorinox still "makes" high end forged chef's knives, the Grand Maitres (i.e. they have outsourced the production to German manufacturer Solicut) but those look different, with a swoopy handle and no bolster, somewhat similar to the Wüsthof IKONs.

BTW I have never seen one of the old ones like in your picture, and I collect Euro chef's knives and regularly browse ebay and stuff. Take good care of it, there can't be many of those around anymore, especially not in new condition.

Im lucky to own a set of yaxell ran knives.

Im very happy with them

pj.dk/living/cookware/yaxell-ran-7-piece-knife-block-set

Thanks for the info
I'll definitely look after this baby, next step is a proper sharpening solution

FYI I found the picture with an image search, though mine matches it exactly.

Found it:
ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Forged-10-034-CHEF-039-S-Knife-Professional-Kitchen-Cutlery-Full-Tang-NEW-/371382219642

>$115

It's an attractive knife, but
>$115 for x50crmov15
I mean who actually buys that stuff? I imagine it's the kind of people who spend $1500 on a 1993 bianchi because it had white suede straps on the pedals