Great marketing campaign or the greatest?

Great marketing campaign or the greatest?

youtube.com/watch?v=IrIg18Uby4E

You forgot about McBLT

mack the knife?

yes

MOON MAN MOON MAN CAN'T YOU SEE

An attempt to attract the middle/working class adult audience they were losing back to their flagship sandwich using a Kurt Weill song using translated Brecht lyrics about a slasher being as dangerous as a shark in the water. Yeah, just the thing to turn anyone remotely aware of culture away from your sandwiches.

I'd call it a highbrow-lowbrow mashup that was brilliant. But murder songs selling burgers seems to be way the fuck off the point.

I live near the "World's Largest McDonalds" on I Drive in Orlando and up until a few months ago you could see Mac Tonight as an animatronic being inside some sort of Rainforest Cafe grotto while sipping on your Coke and looking at a fish aquarium

>Yeah, just the thing to turn anyone remotely aware of culture away from your sandwiches.

I can just tell you're a massive pain to be around

>I live near the "World's Largest McDonalds"
You lucky sonofa bitch.

You can be proud of being a dense bitch but I think it's hilarious when I learn stuff like this
Like how Garnier Fructis shampoos used to use the instrumental from Diamonds and Guns which is a song about selling and doing drugs.

Anyone who understands history is a massive pain? No boubt your taste in food is shit.

/pol/ please stay

SICKER THAN YOUR AVERAGE

The Threepenny Opera may be a bit of a stretch for someone with limited cultural exposure, but the song made it into pop culture through a hit covers by Louis Armstrong, Sinatra and even Bobby fucking Darin which is what the ad campaign was invoking the memories of. The problem is that anyone who was even passingly familiar with the song couldn't help but associate a rather grim set of lyrics with the attempt to sell double cheeseburgers. Here are just the first three verses:

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old Mac Heath, dear
And he keeps it out of sight

Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves oh, wears old Mac Heath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red

Now on the sidewalk, sunny morning
Lies a body just oozin' life,
And someone's sneakin' 'round the corner
Could that someone be Mack the Knife?

Does that shit make you hungry for a fucking burger? This was one way fucking misguided ad campaign.

>trying this hard
I grew up kind of isolated from music more popular than Mozart, and I immediately recognized the advertisement as being based on Kurt Weill and not whatever covers you may be referring to

Nevertheless it didn't bother me in the least but and I thought more highly of MacDonalds after that ad campagin

t. guy from a background that you seem to be roleplaying as having, but clearly don't

HOLY SHIT.

I didn't know that's there. I need more info. I live about thirty minutes from there (hello neighbor) and my friend fucking loves moonman (uses Mac tonight as a mascot). His birthday is coming up and I would love to take him there. Details?

FARGO MADE ME RACIST, YO

Like 99.9% of popular music now is about those topics. People don't care, and they care even less if you remove the lyrics and just use the musical backing of such songs, which in a way spites the original lyrics.

Lmao its Farkle, not Fargo

I was a kid when this ad campaign came out. My parents had a Louis Armstrong LP with this song on it. I had no idea who Kurt Weill was at the time, but I thought the song was grim as hell. And the glee Armstrong took delivering those lyrics always struck me as kind of perverse. So seeing Moonman on TV using that song to sell burgers struck young me as super creepy weird. Then hearing the girls in my class singing it with the McDonald's lyrics as casually as they'd do a kickline to Sinatra's New York, New York? That was weird as fuck to a kid who knew the translated Brecht lyrics.

But the point of the campaign was to get adults to consider McDonald's as a legit dinner option, instead of just just a place to take the kids. But most adults were familiar with the song, and the lyrics were grim as fuck. Just a really odd choice for an ad campaign.

That song is catchy

Right wing death squads

Nigga you think I'm going to read all that to hear you bitching about fast food

tl;dr They used a song about a serial killer to see burgers. That'd be like using Pearl Jam's Jeremy in a Taco Bell ad.

*sell burgers