Price of Lab-Grown Burger Falls from $325K to $11.36

bigthink.com/ideafeed/answering-how-a-sausage-gets-made-will-be-more-complicated-in-2020

Lab-grown meat could be on your plate within the next five years. For the past few years, the barrier to getting test-tube meat into the hands of consumers has been the cost of production. In 2013, it was around $325,000 to make this stuff in a lab, but the process has been refined, and the cost now is just $11.36.

"And I am confident that when it is offered as an alternative to meat that increasing numbers of people will find it hard not to buy our product for ethical reasons," Peter Verstrate, head of Mosa Meat, told the BBC.

Their plan is to make a minced meat that's just as good as any you'd get from a slaughtered cow (and at a competitive price).

Other urls found in this thread:

mentalfloss.com/article/57100/time-250000-year-old-mammoth-was-served-dinner
samharris.org/podcast/item/meat-without-murder
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740485/
theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Does it have the grass fed taste?

i fucking hate this shit

$11.36 for what? a kilo? a gram? an ounce?

wtf is this supposed to mean.. $11.36 is such a specific number too

it just makes the whole article smell like bullshit

This sounds great but I think I'd only try it like 50 years from now when it's been thoroughly tested and perfected.

A patty

>article cites BBC
>BBC has nothing about the current price
FAKE NEWS

Regardless, I'm excited to be able to buy customizable meat-- lamb flavor with the texture of prime rib with an improved fat profile sounds nice.

You will be dead in 50 years

If they would make one enriched with human growth hormone I will supplant chicken breasts for their """""""""meat"""""""""""

probably

I look forward to this

It's something like 35$ a lb. but the real issue is that it's pure muscle and has 0 fat content.

I don't care if it's lab grown or not if it tastes the same as the real stuff.

What I really want though is for them to make lab grown meat from rare or extinct animals, who else would love to try a lion steak or mammoth burgers?

t.lowkey cannibal

Can they make the fat taste like fat but nutritionally be muscle?

How would they know what a mammoth burger tastes like if there aren't any mammoths?

there are still mammoth remains that are being found frozen in the arctic, they even found one in the 1950's that was preserved well enough that it was served at a hotel. So they have more than enough DNA and samples to recreate the meat.

mentalfloss.com/article/57100/time-250000-year-old-mammoth-was-served-dinner

>all lean

Yeah fuck that I'll stick to eating slaughtered cow.

How come it's already ground in the petri dish?

Sam Harris had a guy from one companies doing this on his podcast. guy alluded to the fact that they should be able to add nutrients of any kind to the meat. gotta listen to it again but im sure he said something like that
samharris.org/podcast/item/meat-without-murder

Add an alligator pear

Sounds like Veeky Forumss wet dream once prices drop further

It probably was not served, and just a publicity stunt.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740485/

>What I really want though is for them to make lab grown meat from rare or extinct animals, who else would love to try a lion steak or mammoth burgers?

They already do this: you've probably never had real anchovies in your life, just some similarly sized fish treated to taste about the same, hopefully.

Buddy there's nearly 150 different species of anchovy and none of them are rare or even endangered, which one's the """real""" one?

it's not, they make it into worms like that and then stack them on top of each other

VEGANS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Why watch? Let them jump. Fucking mentally ill assholes.

Why should they be? This is almost ethically perfect.

The only thing that could have potentially hurt one animal is the original cell-sampling that they did.
Everything after that is vegan

They'd have an aneurysm at least cause on one hand they would be eating actual meat but on the other it's essentially vegan

Actually meat eaters on suicide watch.

This sort of technology could very easily be legislated so that all meat be replaced with lab meat.

And rightly so. How many pandemics in the last few decades have originated from the meat industry? Most of the big ones other than AIDS, tbqh.

I for one will be glad to see the salty tears of militant anti-vegans as they realize they have no choice but to stop supporting the mass slaughter of sentient beings (i.e., humans).

Samefag

Call me when they can grow fat in to the meat as well cause so far it doesn't look like it has any, also call me when they can make slabs of meat and not just minced meat

>everyone who I disagree with is a samefag
>every post longer than 3 words is copypasta
Sure thing buddy

Get back to me when it matters whether your McDonalds burgers look like they came from actual living muscles

Have fun eating your fatless mince then buddy, I'll be here grinding my own burgers from real beef that has fat

And anyway, macca's is kinda shit

Also your writing style is similar to the other guys post not to mention they were only in a few minutes of eachother with an opinion that mirrored the first post

Veeky Forums here, 10/90 fat/lean at the store is too much for me.

If they can get a 100% lean ethical lab meat with a beef flavor profile I'm in.

Looks like meats back on the menu, boys

A much better method is to re-engineer the animals themselves to be literally super-retarded. Change their DNA so every animal has severe encephalopathy, like no brain at all. The cruelty argument from animal-fags goes out the window. The animals would have no sensations, hell they wouldn't even have eyes, ears, limbs, or other unnecessary parts. Only exaggerated slabs of muscles, in the form of meat cuts we find the most desirable. These brainless meat vegetables would be warehouse raised on shelves with feeding tubes and shit troughs, but there is no cruelty anymore. PROBLEM SOLVED

Meat has always been on the menu.

not at my vegan mom's house

I gave her my meat and she gobbled it down

i don't get why we put so much money into growing artificial beef muscles, when we could actually save lives by cultivating human cells for organ donations.

sounds gross as shit. thankfully my diet is ass, and I'll be off this planet in the next 5-10 years.

Hopefully

wonder how long before they sell cancer cells instead of sane one, because no matter what, if you force muscles to grow non stop for meat it's gonna become cancer in a matter of a year or two.

I'd try to save the planet before saving more lives m8.

why not just harvest organs from niggers then?

What do you mean "so much money"

Big pharma has invested billions, mostly overseas, in researching technologies that could be used for growing organs for transplants. You know why overseas? Because Republicans think it's sinful to do science in America so most of the good stuff happens overseas. This means when the technology is mature, guess who gets rich? Not Americans, but maybe some Israelis.

It is possible to research two things at once. At least in a magical world where right wing politicians stay the fuck out. Unfortunately though, that is not how things work now because progress is "liberal elitism".

This is the correct answer.
Our planet is far more important than the excessive amount of people on it. If we could eliminate or at least make meat production more efficient, it would be a far more important breakthrough than helping grandma live another year.

>lowkey

saving from what? that artificial meat is fuelled with artificial garbage that could fire a rocket on the moon. they are blinding you with the price, but will never dare to tell you what's going in the tubes.
And world hunger is a political problem, never was a population size issue, never will.

Hunger is really only a problem in tarded areas where the population increases in lockstep with food supply, perpetually ensuring a shortage of food
And in north korea because communism is retarded.

>And in north korea because communism is retarded.
south korea just can't import food, unlike China; the new greatest ally of the world since 2005

>had 8 years.
>got fuck all done to bring biotechnology back or increase funding to NASA.

BLOOBLOOBLOOREPUBLICANZ

I'm a fucking leaf and even I know you're fucking stupid.

C-can you try forming a coherent post next time?

>tfw food science will advance when I'm too old to care
>tfw making gains will be easier and healthier than ever

Americans eat way too much fat anyway. So many foods have it

so basically the same price and same nutritional value as grass fed tenderloin raised without nontherapeutic antibiotics

where do I sign up

but then how would they get they're smug satisfaction at telling the rest of us how horrible we are?

He'll be dead a lot sooner if he eats something that hasn't been fully tested.

I'm not talking about world hunger. I'm talking about the disastrous effect the meat industry has had on this planet

t.alexander bissonette

>people will find it hard not to buy our product for ethical reasons

If it doesn't exactly taste as good or better, people will still be farming and slaughtering animals.

>people will still be farming and slaughtering animals.
I will be no matter what, just to piss off all the animal-rights assholes.

I'm all for it. Biotechnology can at least provide the muscle, which is the more important aspect of it. I think they could easily create fats, or hell, even if they just cut it with vegetable shortening it could work.

It's already illegal to collect rain water.

I can see it becoming illegal in the future to husband animals for slaughter, if this is as effective as they say it is.

Where the fuck is it illegal to have rain barrels? What kind of hell hole do you live in?

Different parts of Ameriland restrict or ban the collection of rainwater.

Lots of places. It prevents water from getting back into the ecosystem.

It's illegal in certain places to set up tons of rain collection things because it fucks up the water table. I think it can cause sinkholes, but i'm not sure about that so take it with some salt. What I do know is that taking too much rainwater on your property can fuck up your neighbor's property, which is why it's restricted.

Huh... maybe it's because I'm a leaf but that's never really been an issue here. Not that I'm saying have dozens of barrels and hoard the shit, but one for a typical house with garden space seems sensible.

It's just Colorado and Tennessee currently

Won't your neighbour be getting exactly the same amount of rain tho?

>Lab-grown meat

Filthy Tleilaxu!

Another slice of smoked slig, please.

You still need to feed them, raise them, shovel their shit, slaughter, and transport them.

I get what you're trying to argue, but this meat animal in concept is kinda horrifying.

there was actually a coup in south america some years ago over this issue

quantum of solace was a dramatized documentary, one of the least fictional james bond plots in the history of the franchise

Don't think so mate
I think fats are lipids and muscles are structures made of all the biological macromolecules but primarily almost entirely protein.
I think our taste buds respond to these molecules to tell us what shit tastes like, so if you "made fat that was nutritionally muscle" it would probably have the qualities of muscle, including flavor, and none of the qualities of fat, such as flavor.

I think once we have muscles grown in vitro it's probably only a short hop to growing adipose tissue in vitro though.

well they could maybe make the fat cells produce something like olestra, the trouble is you'd have sharts for days just from eating a steak

i hope this doesn't crash the wagyu market, i've got thousands invested

>had eight years
>Republican majority since 2010
What did he mean by this?

are you dull? they grind it.

Nobody's going to call you because they dont need to. There is going to be a decently sized market for it that will only get larger over time

>muscles are structures made of all the biological macromolecules but primarily almost entirely protein.
muscles are made up out of muscle cells

>I'm talking about the disastrous effect the meat industry has had on this planet
And like the retard you are, you never dared to check the sort of poison the medical industry needed to make meat in tubes uses.

Are you retarded?

Do you think they'll spend 5 years just lowering the price magically and start researching and studying it only after public release and FDA approval?

>My country still makes the best food

Yes, but water for wells doesn't work like that.

They could add fat flavouring, glycerol and the like. But they'll soon grow more realistic muscle tissues. Hopefully they'll grow livers and pancreases too for al/ck/ies.

theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

No clue what you're talking about.

Oregon and Colorado, for two of them.

Water laws in the western U.S. are based on old-timey water claims. If your ancestors got there first back in 1870 and claimed 10000cfm out of the Oglawanna Aquifer to farm rice in the middle of the fucking desert, then they got to pass those rights on down to you.

Five million other claims get made after them, each with a claim having a priority based on the time at which it was made. Your claim has priority over the others, the second in line has priority over 3, 4, 5, 6, ... and so on.

Some stupid hippie fucktard tries to set up a rain barrel? Not allowed, because he's stealing hat water away from the prior claimants to whom that water would have naturally flowed. Kill the hippie!!! Let him dry up and blow away!

Welcome to the desert, comrade, that's how water law works there.

>hat
*that

My keyboard sucks. I really need a new one that doesn't skip half the characters as they're typed.

What he's talking about is that your very existence destroys the planet.

I hope you don't own any pets, because their global warming footprint is bigger than that of an SUV.

Not to mention any children you ever have -- they'll spread out and cause immense destruction for generations.

Kill yourself NOW and save the world.