Smoking beef ribs for the first time tomorrow

Smoking beef ribs for the first time tomorrow.

I've seen a ton of different temperature ranges from 225-285.

What do you do yours on?

I was thinking 250-260 and using a 3-2-1 method.

Thoughts?

>that pic
please stop, user, I already fapped today...

If you feel the urge, you must splurge.

Your pic looks like a brisket. I hope you actually did enough research to know the difference.
I did a brisket. I watched a bunch of YT and read a lot of recipes, and I ultimately just followed the instructions in the traeger booklet. Came out fucking awesome.

My advice? 225.

>brisket
>Clearly a bone on the bottom

You're kinda new here, aren't ya?

Those are beef short ribs from the plate.

Are they plate ribs? I would cook it at around 275-290. No wrap. Spritzing with water every hour after the first 2 hours. Cook until probe tender. If you do wrap i wouldnt do 3-2-1, every time ive used 3-2-1 with pork ribs they have been overcooked. i would probably 3-1-(unwrapped cookuntil probe tender).

Yeah they're plate ribs.

Been doing 250-260 for about an hour and a half now.

Since I am running at a lower temp, would you suggest wrapping for 2 hours then?

Yeah. What are you cooking on?

Also how are measuring temp. My cookers thermometer is off by 20 degrees.

i've never smoked anything before but i'd like to start this summer

thing is i don't have a yard.

trying to decide between getting a small smoker that i can pack in my van and take camping or just rigging a diy campfire smoker

any thoughts or experiences either way?

I'm smoking in a Weber kettle with Kingsford and some hickory. Using a digital thermometer with a probe right where the meat is. Been doing pretty good keeping it between 250-260. Coming up on about 2 hours now.

OP here.

I live in a row home in South Philly. I've just got one of those 12x15 slabs of concrete for a back yard. I just use a nice Weber kettle. It's good because I can grill and smoke with it. Eventually I do want to get an actual smoker but for just starting out, it's pretty nice.

Don't aim for a temperature, aim for a texture. Poke it with a fork. Does it feel done? No? Keep cooking. Yes? It's done!

It's not rocket science, it's...

FOOD """""""SCIENCE""""""!

OP here. I just wrapped after 3 hours. Color and outer texture was looking good. Was getting some pullback. Running around 270 now. Added some charcoal because it didn't look like I'd have enough to finish. Trying to get it to drop a little bit.

Oh and my internal was 165

If anyone's still lurking.

I pulled them after 2 hours. They were done. Threw them in the broiler for a few minutes to crisp.

>pic related

That'll do pig, that'll do.

Personally, I liked smoke brisket better. But smoked beef in general is nice.

Got a dry rubbed pork butt on the Masterbuilt Electric right now. Regardless of what I'm smoking, I never set it above 225

Not much of a smoke ring, but they were tasty

Ribs need higher temp about 275 to properly render.

Chicken needs a high temp to properly crisp up the skin.

Not too shabby. Those look like chuck short ribs, though. A step below plate but good eating nonetheless.

275 is what I do for beef ribs. Brisket I finish at 350 and rest for several hours.

As said, maybe you should shut the fuck up if this is your first week cooking?

>Your pic looks like a brisket. I hope you actually did enough research to know the difference.

what the fuck is wrong with you

Smoking is bad for your health op

beautiful. great color. how tender was it?

OP here.

They were fall off the bone and pretty tender. Next time I'm going to try at a higher temp though and hopefully get a smoke ring on them. Not going to wrap either.

excellent job. post the next ones too!
i don't post anymore because Veeky Forums has so many assholes these days. maybe i'll post my brisket in your next one.
thanks for sharing.