Why is cheese so expensive? Non-singles kind go for $7 to $8 per pound or as much as a cut of sirloin...

Why is cheese so expensive? Non-singles kind go for $7 to $8 per pound or as much as a cut of sirloin. Shouldn't dairy be cheaper than meat?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/12/27/dining/american-sheep-cheese.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The amount of milk that is required to make cheese is what drives up the costs.

Basically if we want cheaper cheese got to get milk prices down.

post more burg

That seems impractical.

This, and that aging cheese takes up space (and careful climate control, generally). Storage costs money.

>animes eating burgers

whoa i think i am developing a new fetish

are those burgers wrapped in panties?

that is a GREAT idea. after a delicious burger you have some greasy panties to make use of.

>uncooked mushroom on a burger

those wacky japs

They're going to get nice and fat

>non-singles kind

Fucking retarded

what about Animes eating Donuts?

I feel like butter prices have gone up. I remember getting 4 sticks of butter for 4 around bucks. Now it's like 2 sticks for 3-4 bucks.

2.80 for a lb here but I live in Wisconsin

>I live in Wisconsin
I feel bad for you.

Regulation, processing, pasteurization, and storage. Also it is really fucking hard to start a small family owned dairy so no local stuff

Cheese is much less expensive in Europe because they don't have to listen to the paranoid retards at the FDA and USDA

You want my advice, make your own as a hobby. You can make a 3lb gruyere at home with 2 gallons of milk and a couple special ingredients which doesn't cost me more than 7 dollars total plus whatever it costs me to keep the mini fridge running for 6 months. If I bought that much gruyere at the store it would cost me 45 dollars

the price point is even more ridiculous for fresh cheese and there's less fucking around

Madison is great, I wouldn't live anywhere else in this state though

Ever been to Pizza Brutta ?

>$7 to $8 per pound
What kind of garbage are you eating?

too big for your mouth lol

i assume she has the little burger and the big one is for boys

doing pretty well with a small mouth

literally what the fuck can't you see that it doesn't fit in

hot, chick knows her burg size

hot (probably too big brg)

>whatever it costs me to keep the mini fridge running for 6 months.
Unironically probably more than the fridge cost you.
I would make my own cheese if it weren't for the retarded temperature and humidity requirements.

it takes 4L/1G to make 1lb of cheese plus most cheeses need to age for a few weeks/months or years if hard cheeses

a new energy saver mini fridge is about 25 bucks a year but cheese ripens at a higher temp than normal fridge temps so it could be even less. Plus if you've got multiple cheeses it starts becoming much more economical, Only doing one at a time would be wasteful, I agree

Regardless if you don't enjoy the process I wouldn't do it, it's a bunch of work

>it takes 4L/1G to make 1lb of cheese
Depends how dry the cheese is.
I think for like super dry cheeses it's like 10:1 milk:cheese ratio

>Cheese is much less expensive in Europe BECAUSE they don't have to listen to the paranoid retards at the FDA and USDA

You must have sources to prove your statements

Not him but
nytimes.com/2016/12/27/dining/american-sheep-cheese.html

Also I'm loling @$8/lb, op must be eating some WIDF garbage, probably ultra pasteurized and colored with anatto, almost certainly without any distinctive flavors

i get this cheese from walmart and it's some of the higher quality stuff

Good thing because cheese really sucks.

There's several factors:
>amount of milk required
>other ingredients required
>time it takes to age cheese
>specific conditions it takes to develop specific cheeses

Any product that takes a long production time will have a higher cost. All that time spent aging and developing the cheese's specific attributes adds cost, because it costs the company in production time. It's simple cost analysis.

this is probably the best answer youre gonna get
desu, only spend a few(maybe $5) for a sharp cheddar aged for a few years, not worth it other than that unless its an occasion...or u have money