Share your contrarian culinary opinions

Share your contrarian culinary opinions

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LbtwwZP4Yfs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Chicago Style hotdogs are retarded, way too much of a pain-in-the-ass to eat.
>Whatever your locale's specialty food is is definitely overrated, and I don't need to go there to make that evaluation
>all alcohol besides beer tastes like shit, especially whiskey
>red bellpeppers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> green bellpeppers
>the concept of wine-pairing is retarded
>there is LITERALLY nothing wrong with multitaskers

>>red bellpeppers > green bellpeppers

>desserts and sweets suck
>chili is still chili if it has beans
>tomatoes are really gross, literally booger apples
>garlic is to flavor food with, not to eat on its own
>runny eggs are disgusting and make me gag
>hamburgers shouldn't be taller than an inch and a half

Every meat tastes better with cumin
Salt and pepper only for burger and steak is retarded
Flavored salt of any kind is sin
Cooking with alcohol is pompous
Cooked greens and carrots are useless
Salads that need dressing are objectively bad
'go 'za is objectively bad, ny 'za is way too oily
Anyone who likes in n out or white castle should nuke themselves
A better (read more expensive) knife doesn't help anything
Butter is better for cooking than olive oil
Iceberg lettuce is for retards
Electric stoves are objectively bad
You'll never cook anything good if you use garlic powder and onion powder in the dish
Muh tripple double hop ipa fags and muh billion scoville units fags need to die
Blueberries need to not exist, they ruin everything that has raspberries, blackberries, and pomegranate in it
cheesecake doesn't need to be 5 inches tall
doughnuts and cupcakes are for fat slob mouthbreathers

>Cooking with alcohol is pompous
Come on now. Red wine is essential to almost anything with tomatoes in it.

not sure if high effort troll or high functioning autism

>Butter is better for cooking than olive oil

If I replied to you, would that answer your question?

I hate pugs so god damn much. If pit bulls are the niggers of the canine world then pugs are the mexican wannabe thugs that hang out at your local car wash.

Oatmeal Raisin cookie > Chocolate Chip cookie

>Butter is better for cooking than olive oil
And hydrogen burns more efficient than propane
Oil and butter are for different purposes

not sure if high effort troll or high functioning autism

In my opinion butter does not immediately rot if you leave it in room temperature for longer than 30 minutes. By storing a small amount of butter (as much as you typically consume in three days or so) in a sealed container at room temperature (25 C or below) it is possible to have spreadable butter that you can actually butter a piece of bread with. Unfortunately this may as well be hidden esoteric knowledge to most people I know as I am often offered an unusable solid block of cold butter with my bread. Or worse yet, margarine.

No one disagrees that red peppers are better than premature red peppers.

The Fillet-O-Fish sandwich from McDonald's is, dare I say it, the BEST fast food sandwich ever!

Ever try desserts made only with whole foods and no added sugars or fats? They can be more nutritious than the average american meal.

Yesterday I made some almond flax aquafaba cookies with nothing sweet besides raisins. They were great.

It's not just the nutrition. Ever since I quit drinking soda years ago, all sweets don't appeal to me anymore.

What about fruit?

>picking the right flavor of wine to go with food is retarded
How?

A deep thought into visual presentation is to the culinary what scratch 'n sniff is to painting.

To me presentation is not just making things visually interesting or aesthetic, but formatting the dish in a way that is most beneficial to ease and palate. The dish should indicate where you should start.

It's obvious that this is not a common opinion in many places I go to, that create pretty and unwieldy dishes with arrangements superfluous to any quality.

Bright colors don't make my dish better. Hanging it on a clothesline, sticking it on a spike, putting it in a giant tea cup or having the waiter rappel down to my table, do not make my dish better.

>tomatoes are gross
>this is how I can tell your mother is a shit cook/meal provider
You've definitely been robbed of proper culinary experiences.

I suppose the rest is fine.
I don't eat many sweets, and almost never buy them myself.
A proper grilled burger should have lettuce, onion, tomato (heirlooms if you grow your own like a decent human being), mustard, mayo, and in my case usually jalapenos.
If I'm in the right mood, I'll literally dip it in ketchup even though I won't normally put it on a burger. But only Heinz.

This guy And this The rest seems about right.

Fruit =/= dessert

It's part of a proper diet.
I eat a citrus fruit daily on top of whatever else comes along.

>Chicago Style hotdogs are retarded, way too much of a pain-in-the-ass to eat.
I could see that. It's the typical American thing though, take something cheap and shit, and make it more expensive, while still being shit.

>Whatever your locale's specialty food is is definitely overrated, and I don't need to go there to make that evaluation
True.

>all alcohol besides beer tastes like shit, especially whiskey
So true.

>red bellpeppers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> green bellpeppers
Is anyone disputing this?

>the concept of wine-pairing is retarded
Yup.

>there is LITERALLY nothing wrong with multitaskers
Again, is this being disputed?

There is literally nothing wrong with breaking spaghetti/fetuccini in half before cooking.

sriracha is breddy gud

I meant candy, cakes, pies, chocolate, etc. I eat bananas and berries all the time.

I can stomach tomatoes on a burger or salsas and other things with tomatoes in them like soups, pastas and chili, but tomatoes on their own are disgusting. They need other things to bring out the flavor they have and on their own they taste like dirt with the consistency of snot.

Everything made in a slow cooker is terrible.
If I can see the onions in your dish, you either chopped them too thickly or undercooked them.
Microwaves are for people who don't mind their leftovers tasting like shit.

Literally me except for the tomato bit

Have you ever tried slow cooked chili? It's the easiest way to give it the time it needs for all the flavors to really get in there.

I like onion pieces large because tiny uniform ones are reminiscent of institution food.

Heirloom tomatoes, fresh from the vine on a warm day are awesome.
Just a touch of salt and pepper depending on your mood.

Also the best way to eat a bell pepper.

Sure, why not.
>salt should always be added to pasta water, and to water used for boiling eggs
>if you can't make your own tomato sauce for pasta, you are a retard
>Contrary to someone else's post, Chicago dogs are the best fucking hot dogs you can eat, other than a traditional campfire dog
>steak should ALWAYS be brought to room temp before cooking
>German food is glorious
>TexMex is 100% legit, and if your mexican food comes from anywhere north of Austin, San Diego, Las Cruces, or Phoenix, fuck off.
>green bell peppers SUCK, even for stuffing. They're too acidic, underripe, and haven't converted their nightshade poisons enough to not cause burps and indigestion.
>wine is the only alcohol worth drinking anymore. Beer has been ruined (except in eastern Europe)
>the best oil for all purpose use is rice bran oil
>salmon is the WORST fish for sashimi or sushi
>Gordon Ramsay is the worst thing to happen to American culinary endeavors ever. All those restaurants on Kitchen Nightmares should have just been allowed to fail and die. His generic, bland, tasteless, pub-grub menus have given rise to a whole generation of mediocre cooking.
>"farm to fork" may seem annoying, but it's absolutely the best direction restaurants and cooking can go, going forward.
>if you're not buying free range, pastured eggs, meat, and dairy, you're doing it wrong.

>putting sweet stuff in marinades or salad dressings (honey, molasses, fruit, jam, maple syrup, etc.) is disgusting
>tomato ketchup is a shitty condiment
>green bell pepper is goat bell pepper
>pepsi is much better than coke
>white grapefruit juice is better than pink grapefruit juice
>bourbon is shit, whiskey is great
>baba ghanouj > hummus
>lemon is better than lime for 98% of applications
>coconut milk ruins curry
>If you don't like offal you're a faggot

>salt should always be added to pasta water, and to water used for boiling eggs
this is undisputed
>steak should ALWAYS be brought to room temp before cooking
cooking steak sous vide makes this method irrelevant, so not ALWAYS
>TexMex is 100% legit, and if your mexican food comes from anywhere north of Austin, San Diego, Las Cruces, or Phoenix, fuck off.
Fort Worth is north of Austin.
>salmon is the WORST fish for sashimi or sushi
wewlad
>tomato ketchup is a shitty condiment
fuck off
>pepsi is much better than coke
correct
>bourbon is shit, whiskey is great
as a rule, sure. There are exceptions.
>lemon is better than lime for 98% of applications
hyperbole, but I get your point.
>If you don't like offal you're a faggot
yep

You kids, all you get going in your life?
Burgers!
One day you will wake up to reality, get cancer, face death.
Get a fucking grip.

>>coconut milk ruins curry
I believed this for a long time, but not anymore. I can hardly taste the sweet, coconut flavor when I use it.

I don't even make veggie burgers because frying and oil are bad. But I eat that shit when I travel because it's what comfy places serve.

Don't season stuff so much. It often doesn't need it and you'll taste the food and get a better idea of what seasoning to use if any.

well then what's the point?

To get fat like Indians.

It adds a tanginess and is the main thing for curry to simmer in. I mean what else are you using?

Olive oil is not healthy

Putting oil on raw salads is pointless

that is the best possible advice to new cooks. more stuff != more flavor

well for tanginess, plain yogurt, but that's at the table, not during cooking. As far as simmering liquid, tomatoes? the water of the vegetables in the pot? stock? I'm not an expert on curries, I mostly just like eating them

Some clueless white people add flavorless coconut oil to their curries.

It really isn't. It's only less harmful than some other extracted fats it displaces.

youtube.com/watch?v=LbtwwZP4Yfs

Some kind of fat is needed to maximize absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. Two walnut halves is enough.

Steak is Overrated

>frozen pizza is generally better than takeout/delivery pizza
>margarine is better than butter
>all major fast food chains suck. Some of the stuff they sell I wouldn't even consider food
>people really do have different metabolisms; some people have a heard time losing weight, others can barely gain weight
>Chili includes beans and corn. Everything else is chili, tomato and beef stew
>You can cure a cold by using large amounts of raw garlic, ginger, honey and lemon
>fusion and crossover of different cuisines is a great thing
>mayonnaise or yoghurt based salad dressings (basically anything with a thick creamy consitency) are disgusting
>German food is glorious
>Beer has been ruined (except in eastern Europe)
Okay how the hell do these two fit together? I've been living in Germany for 23 years and the cuisine sucks, except for bread and beer.

>5 reasons vegans are better at sex
Who is this cuck

I fixed my bf's erectile dysfunction by putting him on a vegan diet.

>"fish" filet
>not wendys pacific cod filets

as far as fish sandwiches go, anyway

>man being "put" on a diet
No wonder his dick didn't work

Ketchup is absolutely disgusting and I think less of people who use it. Especially in recipes. I don't care so much when people dip fries in it, but you're still completely overpowering the potato flavor. Mayo is the best condiment and perfectly complements fries, along with vinegar.

agreed.

French fries fried in peanut oil is a terrible meme that needs to die.

squeezing a lemon or lime on anything ruins the dish or meal 99% of the time. also masking flavor in spiciness. people that lust for the spiciest meals they can find are the tryhards of eating food

A hotter meal is more satiating because it takes longer to eat, resulting in the perception of it being more food. That's how hunger works.

just eat slower then, damn. i don't require pain to know that i should savor my meal.

Some people also just really like spicy food, it's exhilarating.

Do southern Indians usually make their food hot, or do the restaurants here turn it up just for us?

>Salt and pepper only for burger and steak is retarded
>A better (read more expensive) knife doesn't help anything
>You'll never cook anything good if you use garlic powder and onion powder in the dish
>doughnuts and cupcakes are for fat slob mouthbreathers
Man, this is some top b8 but I'll take it.

I get a couple vegan doughnuts every 6-36 months, but there's usually healthier stuff I enjoy more.

>You'll never cook anything good if you use garlic powder and onion powder in the dish
Those are pretty much mandatory for some fried potato and battered/deep fried anything, so they do have their place. If you think you can replace fresh allium with powder, or even salt mixes, into the trash it goes.

>allium

Onions and tomatoes are both vastly overrated.

Dill is where it's at.

>cooking with alcohol is pompous
Are you not familiar with the concept of alcohol-soluble flavors? Most flavors are soluble in fat or water, but some require alcohol for the taste to be present.

What the fuck are you talking about? I leave butter at room temperature in a sealed butter dish for weeks on end.

2 friend eggs + peanut butter sandwich > Bacon/egg/cheese sandwich

slow cookers are great as a college student, I can just load it with shit and it will be ready when I get back

I was just trying to avoid writing onion and garlic powder three times.
>trains and airplanes are both vastly overrated
>ethanol fuel is where it's at

Soup is better freshly made, not the next day as reheated leftovers because the "flavors had time to marry" or whatever the fuck.

I think he might be talking about his experience at restaurants or acquaintances' houses.

seconded

Finding a hair in your dish isn't really a big deal as long as the person it came from is fairly hygienic.

>>there is LITERALLY nothing wrong with multitaskers

Do you mean unitaskers? That's all I hear people complain about.

While I tottaly agree with you on this topic about soups based on veggie stocks and ESPECIALLY cream soups, dishes like borstch, bogracs and other soups made around meat stock are really getting better after day or two. Flavor became more intense and thicker.

Finally, a good use for pugs.

I've made a roast in a slow cooker that came out great

For me, it's the McChicken.

Pressure steamers are good too.

Eggs are not your friend.

>>chili is still chili if it has beans
Only dumb Texans disagree with this.