Ceramic knives

Are they a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qJBPpi7T7R0
youtube.com/watch?v=uQOnMVnstfE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're fine for niche applications (generally if the food will react with high carbon steels)

So mainly they're used by idiots who don't know any better, or pros in a kitchen that is going for the BEST presentation possible on a dish.

For the most part, yes

absolute shit

yup

>meme
Does meme mean autist ? if so, you will be fine with one.

Starts sharp, but brittle and can chip, no flexibility and you cant sharpen it.
There is almost no reason to use one. But as an engineer, I'm glad to see advanced ceramics coming into more general use. Ceramic blades are better suited for mandoline slicers than a chef's knife.

They never rust, colour and changed

youtube.com/watch?v=qJBPpi7T7R0

I bought some about 3 years ago. Use them regularly and haven't had any problems. Some minor chipping has started to show up so I mean, they won't last forever. But they work really well on veggies especially and are easy to clean.

When I first got one I thought it was the shit. Then it chipped and was shit after a month

I love when asian guys speak english with this accent

>Use them regularly and haven't had any problems.
>Some minor chipping has started to show up

What did he mean by this?

Pretty shit. Can't even cut through a wooden spoon.
youtube.com/watch?v=uQOnMVnstfE

>They're fine for niche applications (generally if the food will react with high carbon steels)
What's wrong with stainless steel?

>pros in a kitchen that is going for the BEST presentation possible on a dish.
Explain.

Nips like them.

It's very minor and they still work fine. I guess the trade-off is you can't sharpen them so eventually they will have to be thrown away. 3 years and counting is not bad for what they cost me

I have one that I used for vegetable slicing. Slicing is the key word here. If they are subjected to forces which can cause them to chip, they hold their sharpness an order of magnitude longer than any steel knife, and today's super high-alloy stainless knives hold their edges for a very long time. So, yes. I think they can be worth having around.

I sharpened my Kyocera nakiri once in about five years of ownership and that's only because I nicked the edge. They take forever and a half to sharpen....mainly because courser diamond stones will only chip them further. I use it because while I wipe my steel knives clean after every use religiously, with the ceramic knives I just toss them in the topmost dishwasher rack after use. Can't beat the convenience.

I have found that no matter what you do the edge will chip and turn the blade useless over time. I got some thrift peelers with ceramic blades a few years ago and even those things that are no subjected to any twisting or levering forces started to chip. I also didn't like the felling of zero flex when cutting stuff with the ceramic knife when cutting, very odd. You will be better off with a good steel knife and a set of waterstones.

they're fucking trash. mostly because what the gypsies sell here under the name "ceramic" is actually a sharp sheet of aluminum embedded in hard plastic. also, true ceramic is also shit, you can't really sharpen it due to its grittyness. ask me and I'll say you can't go wrong with Wüsthof Grand Prix (forged stainless), but damascus steel is where it's at.

a good kyocera has it's uses, the cheap ones are stupid garbage.

>What's wrong with stainless steel?
Doesn't take an edge as fine or hold it as long as a high carbon steel or even a semi-stainless steel, that being said said not all stainless steels are the same and if the steel a knife is made of is just stated as "stainless steel" it's guaranteed trash.