>decided to be brave and cook a steak on open fire
>turned out fucking delicious
>went home
>mother laughs and says I should do the cooking in future
>father comes in
>"so that's where the pan went"
>"clean it up. I can smell the fire"
>Proceeds to make a joke about me killing myself

The steak turned out great anyway. Rubbed a bit of salt,pepper and olive oil on it and threw it into a cast iron pan with some butter melted in it. Flipped it regularly cause it was a bit chilly out so the top side would get cold if I didn't.

I used oak and ash wood on the fire. Ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points
bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/types-of-cooking-oil
todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/04/regular-virgin-extra-virgin-olive-oils/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>olive oil

pfffffffffffHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA

Your dad sounds like a manchild.
Do not repeat the same mistakes when you have kids.

You cook without oil?

Good steak. Get your own cast iron pan since your dad is obviously a beta who can't appreciate good cookwear. Cast iron is meant for that type of cooking and I'd love to have some of that smokiness in mine.

Why do you still live with your parents?

Olive oil is master race.
Do you even Mediterranean diet?

Not him, but he's laughing (as I am) that you used olive oil. Its taste will modify the taste of your food because its strong. Also, it has a lower burning point. Stick to at least vegetable oil.

Putting olive oil on steak may be as bad as people who bake cakes with olive oil

I meant smoking point

Is a cast iron skillet shitty to lug around going camping?

Also
>proceeds to make a joke about me killing myself

Top tier father right there m8

It's shitty for backpacking. If you are just camping at one location then it's not bad.

I'm only 18

Nah. I pack light so it wasn't much of a problem.

I WANT it to modify my food. Olive oil gives the steak a rich flavour.

How to spot a dirty fucking pleb. Olive oil tastes good you fucking retard. If you cook with vegetable oil you may as well just piss on your steak while you're at it.

1) I'm not OP you complete dumb ass.
2) Olive Oil is a good oil for taste.
3) Olive oil has a higher smoking point than vegetable oil.
4) Vegetable oil will make your steak taste nasty.
5) Vegetable oil is complete shit oil.

You obviously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about and should stop posting for a bit.

you're a fucking idiot

what the fuck?

i don't understand either of your parents comments.

Your dad sounds like a retarded faggot. I bet he wanted you to use soap to clean the pan off.

It's sad really cause I use to idolise my dad when I was a kid but I've slowly been starting to realise how much of a bitter asshole he is.

We all go through that. How old are you?

Seriously, seriously enjoy your cancer.

Try fresh rosemary next time nothing really smells like camping like rosemary.

#justdaddyissues

>Ask me anything.

why don't you kill yourself?

Why do you still live with your parents you fucking manchild?

>Stick to at least vegetable oil
HAHAHAHA Welcome to cooking in the 21st century, friend. First class: vegetable oil is shit. never use it.

>>"so that's where the pan went"
>>"clean it up. I can smell the fire"
>>Proceeds to make a joke about me killing myself

Usually I would tease OP for no reason but that's fucked up. Food looks great man.

That steak looks fucking amazing!

Yeah, canola oil is the best oil

I use canola oil for my steaks, is that okay?

they didn't mind the burnt grass in the backyard?

Yes.

>vegetable oil is shit. never use it.
It's okay for deep frying though.

in an absolutely ideal situation you'd use like 1/2tsp of clarified butter to start it. Past that if you buy steak with good marbling it should do the rest itself.

Olive oil deep frying is top
Also, im spanish, so good oil is not that expenaive

Well refined olive oil isn't as expensive but yeah vegetable oil is usually way cheaper that's why I use it for deep frying. But if you got the money definitely go for a good olive oil.

For budget cooking, personally I use Bertolli extra light OO. I get a big bottle from Sam's Club for about 15 bucks and it'll last a few months.

>does not even mention lard
what the fuck is wrong with you? We're not /poorcucks/ or /healthfood/

>lard is expensive
wut?

no beef tallow or lard for deep frying

Lard is okay for some things but it's not really versatile like olive oil.

And like this guy said, it's not expensive at all. I don't even buy it since even one slice of bacon produces a respectable amount.

As far as deep frying is concerned, lard is okay to use but it's not like it is so vastly superior that it warranted your autistic response. And some of us our health conscious as you should be.

Are you retarded? Olive oils smoking point is way too low to deep fry effectively without completely fucking your oil

would not call olive oil versatile just plebs without taste buds can't taste it after they put it on everything. Or have a broke dick stove that can't actually turn out enough BTU's to do anything fun with

Olive oil has a smoking temperate in the high 400s. You're thinking of extra virgin olive oil and you should double check your facts before you call other people retarded.

jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

You'd be wrong. Olive oil used for high heat cooking has a neutral taste and thus not used for tasting. It is versatile because it can be used for high heat cooking thanks to a high smoke point, it has a neutral taste, and is better for you than something like vegetable oil. The only time I wouldn't use it for cooking is if I wanted a nice taste from a fatty source like bacon fat or as any sort of dressing or if I'm doing something like deep-frying because there's cheaper stuff to use.

it is kind of gay though, how people go out hiking and rub their dicks because they made a steak in a pan

You are retarded, you're using olive oil for deep frying, that is retarded full stop, even if regular olive oils smoke point is 400F it's going to fuck with the flavour of anything you deep fry with it, regular olive oil has a very distinct taste and unless you've completely fucked your tastebuds with years of drowning shit in olive oil you're going to notice that distinct olive oil taste.

You've definitely fucked your tastebuds, olive oil does not have a neutral taste at all

You're on Veeky Forums.

it has a very strong taste even if it's not EVOO and a bitter one at that.

>You are retarded
Wrong.

>you're using olive oil for deep frying
Wrong. Also, not an argument.

>even if regular olive oils smoke point is 400F it's going to fuck with the flavour of anything you deep fry with it
462* according to the web site. Well within deep frying temperatures. Why would it fuck with the flavor? Can you explain why instead of being emotional? Have you even tasted cooking olive oil? It is neutral in taste. You don't know what you're talking about.

Wrong.

What did you do today,user? Play video games? Browse Veeky Forums? Watch some anime?

Stop buying olive oil that's been cut with motor oil.

you keep saying neutral but that's not reality. It overpowers anything subtle. If you can't taste it you're worse probably some shovel feeding soccer mom who doesn't chew their food.

this isn't my AMA plebbit

Go chug a bottle of olive oil then you fuckin wog, olive oil has a distinct taste of fucking olives because it is made from fucking olives, the olives give the oil an olive-y taste, what aren't you getting mate. It does not have a neutral taste at all regardless of how hard you want it to be true.

I keep saying neutral because it's true and here's some sources to back it up. You should just admit you don't know what you're talking about, especially if you're the person that said olive oil has a low smoking point.

bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/types-of-cooking-oil
>Light olive oil is then treated with chemical solvents to neutralize the flavor. It's lighter in taste and color, not calories, than straight EVOO. It has a smoke point of 465-470˚ Fahrenheit, which makes it ideal for high-heat cooking

todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/04/regular-virgin-extra-virgin-olive-oils/
>For comparison, the smoke point of extra virgin olive oil is approximately 320°F (160°C), virgin at approximately 420°F (215°C), and light at approximately 465°F (240°C). As such, it’s typical to use light olive oil for things like baking, grilling, frying, and sautéing, essentially where high temperatures are required and particularly in cases where a strong olive taste is not desired.
Neither of you know the difference between EVOO and olive oil which is embarrassing. But please continue to say objectively wrong things because you're too proud to admit you're wrong.

>being this fucking mad about olive oil
I don't know what kind of fucked up olive oil you've tasted but it does not impart much, if any, flavor to the food you cook with it.

He doesn't understand that EVOO is not the same as light olive oil and doesn't know the difference between the two.

Does Veeky Forums not know that canola oil is vegetable oil and is one of the most neutral tasting oils?

what are you most afraid of?

I don't get why those other two idiots are argguing but you don't want a neutral oil for deep frying, you want something that imparts flavor like beef tallow or lard

>You should just admit you don't know what you're talking about, especially if you're the person that said olive oil has a low smoking point.
not that same person. And light olive oil still has a fucking intense flavor. Unless you're buying some $40/12oz shit you're not getting a product that's comparable to what they're using. At which point beef suet is less expensive.

Yeah the thing is, at least in America, there's "vegetable oil" then there's types of vegetable oil like canola oil.

The stuff labeled as vegetable oil is a mixture of various oils and you don't know what the fuck you're getting really.

It's the health aspect, even though deep-frying is unhealthy no matter what you do you can at least minimize it.

>labeled as vegetable oil is a mixture of various oils and you don't know what the fuck you're getting really.
You're getting a very refined oil made from vegetables. it's so refined it doesn't matter which vegetable since all the life of the original origin has been literally sucked out of it.

fuck healt, I could be the healthiest motherfucker on the planet and still die of a random heart attack for no good reason

>It's the health aspect, even though deep-frying is unhealthy no matter what you do you can at least minimize it.
that's a load of shit it's all about temp and technique no one's forcing you to cover it in thick breading and cook it until it's soggy with oil.

You must be over the age of 18 years old to post on this website.

>And light olive oil still has a fucking intense flavor.
I've provided two sources that tell you you're wrong and I'm not sure what else I can do. Your opinion obviously trumps fact at this point in your mind.

Also, all light olive oil is about 12$ for 40oz.

Nah mate, people hear lard or something like that they automatically think it's going to be super unhealthy while the same thing cooked in canola oil or some shit is just as unhealthy but they think it's healthier for some reason

yeah it's so childish and immature to not worry about health when there are at least a dozen different ways you can die every day. but if you insist on being healthy then still use an oil that imparts flavor, like peanut oil

Taste some refined olive oil and then taste some canola oil, the difference in taste is huge

edgy

Yeah that was my point. Vegetable oil is just the worst offender and canola oil isn't that bad for you (at least compared to other shit like corn oil which is terrrrible).

It's the saturated fat lard has. If you're not eating too much saturated fat in your other meals then it won't make a difference. But many people consume too much sat. fat in today's world.

I have both in my kitchen and I can tell you that the difference is not huge (I slightly prefer olive oil's taste). I suggest you do the same thing you're telling me to do. Please use light OO and not EVOO. I await your reply of:

>I did and olive oil just tastes fucking strong m8

>that bad for you
this isn't fit. All context on this board should only involve flavor. Take your Veeky Forums shit elsewhere.

Can you please point to me which board rule says health cannot be a point of discussion on this board?

it's a matter of etiquette, you're basically just barging into the conversation to say it's unhealthy and nothing else

No, unhealthy was only one of the reasons I listed. The primary reply this chain started from was mine here: ()

And I explained to him why some people are talking about vegetable oil and canola oil as two different things. My opinion was inserted at the end of the post which is perfectly fine to do on any board. What you did was barge into the conversation and offer nothing else but making up Veeky Forums rules like some sort of wannabe mod.

>etiquette
>on a board where people have nothing better to do than shitpost and generally make other people upset

had me a little chuckle there

I've tasted all kinds of oils before, every oil has a distinct taste, if you haven't been using olive oil for so many things the olive oils taste will stand out more as with any oil.

The worst offender is coconut oil though, I'll only use it for dishes that involve coconut cream or things where the coconut-y taste won't matter

there's literally a board for fitness and health.

there's an /lgbt/ board too but here you are

Don't know what to tell you then. If you can taste the difference between cooking with light olive oil and cooking with canola oil I applaud your extreme palette.

And they all talk about lifting weights. If I want to talk about food I have to go to Veeky Forums.

>fitness and health
They took out the "Health" part out of Veeky Forums awhile ago. We do need a /med/ board though.

savage

Not him but sometimes you want to use an oil that doesn't impart a flavor.

Looks like a great steak OP and I normally shit on everything ceekay posts. I would have taken some potatoes with me and get a nice baked potato on that fire.

absolutely destroyed that cunt

>all these olive oil pretentious douchebags ITT

I cook all my food in sesame seed oil, get fucked.

>I cook all my food in sesame seed oil
Why? Unless you love the taste? That's even more pretentious.

>If I want to talk about food I have to go to Veeky Forums.
and it the context of food the answer is always:
Don't overeat.

And i'm not the one that thinks shoving carrots up my ass constitutes "on topic" discussion since it's food.

pic related.

Eh, it's not that extreme but it's more better than most of the people I know, most of my friends and most of my family have really shit palettes and they're all pretty shitty at cooking because of it, fucking sucks man, for example my grandma when making spaghetti bolognese she'll use half a jar of sauce and then put in flour for some reason and doesn't season it at all, not even a little bit of salt, bland as fuck but everyone else at the table will say it tastes amazing and mean it when they say that.

You seem new. Veeky Forums use to be Fitness and Health. It's simple Fitness now. They don't talk about healthy all but once in a blue moon and certainty now about food choice. If you want to discuss the benefits between food in terms of health, this is the correct board to be post in. Cry about it in /qa/. You don't make the rules.

Nothing like opening jars and saying you're cooking. I can't stand store bought pasta sauce, it tastes bad. One of my favorite things to cook is a nice italian pasta sauce from scratch. Each time it will be a little bit different.

It sounds like she is using flour to thicken it up instead of letting it simmer for an hour or so. Lazy.

olive oil is about as pretentious as it gets. protip: oil loses its flavour when you cook with it at high heat.

No shit sherlock. Light olive oil is made for that reason and barely has any flavor at all. You're just another person that doesn't know the difference between your oils.

>Veeky Forums use to be Fitness and Health.
still is. Are you retarded; did you not see the screenshot?

>the benefits between food in terms of health,
there is no "healthy" food as all fucking foods provide fuel and nutrition for metabolic processes. Seems to me that you're wanting to discuss shitty fad diets.

>the board's meta description is the board's title
you're retarded.

>there is no "healthy" food as all fucking foods provide fuel and nutrition for metabolic processes.
You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

Yeah, I dunno whether it's lazyness though, I think it's one of those weird habits from the depression era, she tries to stretch out everything, she'll even keep a christmas ham till it smells sour and has gone slightly green and will keep veggies until they're wilted and brown, but yeah, nothing beats a nice homemade pasta sauce, it's so easy to make but most people are fucking clueless and go for a sauce in a jar.

>I don't know what words mean
Nice try bumpkin. fitness implies health.

>I also don't know what health means.
You really need finish school.

No I was being literal. Veeky Forums used to be literally called Fitness and Health and reflected this. Now it's just fitness and pretty much only about weightlifting. Being autistic about definitions because your new got exposed won't change anything.

I think I'll try for a pasta sauce thread since this thread has been completely derailed by idiots.

Sorry champ. Been on Veeky Forums since before the days of zyzz. We discuss nutrition.

Show me one thread. The board is fucking terrible for serious discussion.

right now there is a soda thread and a superfood thread.

But that is besides the point.