Are American school kitchens really as bad as people say?

Are American school kitchens really as bad as people say?
In Europe, American school food is thought of to be some of the worst quality food you can get, but I have a suspicion that it is all just hearsay

Other urls found in this thread:

lakesidesd.nutrislice.com/menu/lakeside-high-school/lunch/
exeter.k12.pa.us/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=2459&dataid=33393&FileName=2-13_3-03 Sr High Lunch menu.pdf
foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/25/republicans-look-to-scrap-michelle-obama-school-lunch-plan.html
nationalreview.com/article/423784/uncle-sam-and-school-lunches
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It depends, I attended parochial school. The food was okay. If anything if I remember correctly, the portions were too big.

Probably depends on the individual school more than anything. Have you ever had cafeteria food before? Most of them are like your typical cafeteria food.

It was pretty fucking bad back in the day, but it's getting better

lakesidesd.nutrislice.com/menu/lakeside-high-school/lunch/

They didn't have any of this back when I went to high school. It was basically some tasteless garbage or the pizza, which wasn't great either

this does not seem like a good pairing of flavors...

It varies. A ton.
All the schools I went to had pretty good food, but it really ends up being more about how much state funding is dolled out.

I went back to my Jr High for a weeklong IT contract and I ended up eating the cafeteria food once. It's gone way fucking downhill, and I know our governor (who has been elected way too many goddamn times) has kept the education budget pretty high.
So I choose to blame obama's tranny's "TIME TO EAT HEALTHY KIDS XD" program

It's basically the same as prison food. Often the same companies supply both schools and prisons.

Honestly, this. Jews/Zionists have been feeding our children crap on purpose to stunt their brain development, keeping us docile and dumb.

However, some schools like private schools are way better, and will even order pizza or bring in ChickFilA or something along those lines, some public schools do it too but if its their food provided by the State then its usually awful.

Like think a walmart chicken patty on a walmart bun with some ice burg shredded lettuce and maybe mayo packets, thats usually 2 dollars maybe a little more, and the pizza looks microwaved.

In USA the "cool kids" usually bring their own rich kid lunch or don't eat lunch at all, preferring to eat nearby immediately after school

>Probably depends on the individual school more than anything.
^ This. American schools vary tremendously, so there are cafeterias with the worst shit-tier food, and others you could mistake for trendy bistros. The average is so-so, with an emphasis on using federally subsidized ingredients, which are chosen by how much lobbyists for those ingredients give to politicians. Schools that have wealthier students tend to offer better food. There are federal guidelines that try to equalize education between poor and rich, but there are always loopholes at the state and local levels to ensure poor schools receive lower funding. When things do become too equal, private schools emerge to serve the wealthier students.

>In USA the "cool kids" usually bring their own rich kid lunch
Only the dorks brought their own lunch

What kid is ever gonna eat this garbage
>obama's tranny's "TIME TO EAT HEALTHY KIDS XD" program
How did she even have any say in this? She was just the first lady.

It's actually worse

Funnily enough, people bringing lunch from home tended to represent an economic parabola: poor kids and richfags.

The latter of course had incredible lunchroom capital by virtue of their fruit gusher wealth, and I personally believe this inequity is the starting point of America's deep economic inequality presently.

Well I went to school in a rich kid area, some people would order food and have it dropped off by parents, some people would straight up bring like fucking hibachi to school and we had microwaves we could use too.

>First Lady

this position is commonly forgot about but is still a position. The first lady uses her power in many ways but traditionally the first lady focuses on children/health/communities and how to better them.

We even have an entire museum in the USA dedicated to first ladies.

This is true and exactly what I just said but it was supposed to reach the dumber ones easier. Unfortunately, it seemed to trigger the jocks in the situation. I can't wait for these types of people to wake up either, user.

You are talking about the place where pizza is considered a vegetable

Ketchup is too

>this position is commonly forgot about but is still a position. The first lady uses her power in many ways but traditionally the first lady focuses on children/health/communities and how to better them.
What kind of fucking shit is this? She is not elected democratically, she should not be allowed to decide anything. Let her do activism and chartiy as much as she likes, but she seriously shouldn't have any political power.
What do you do if a woman gets elected? Call her husband first lady too?

She doesn't do anything political, just influential. There are actually plenty of people in the USA who feel that the First Lady should not be allowed to do any kind of fundraising or campaigning for the community too in USA.

This was actually addressed when Clinton was "going to win" the election. They were already calling him the First Husband.

I went to Private School so the food was amazing. Alternatively, many kids brought their own from home.

But yes, in general, public school foods are not great, but the quality depends on how wealthy the school district is.

No they are lying to you. It is all the highest of quality.

This thread is now an American school burger thread

school burgers for everyone on the house!

how would you like yours OP ?

It's fucking garbage cardboard pressed shit. When I was a kid (20yrs ago) It was passable. I give the kids food, no poison for them thx.

>In Europe, American school food is thought of to be some of the worst quality food you can get

It's the same joke in America too.

Haven't you even seen that simpsons episode?

Here is a menu:

exeter.k12.pa.us/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=2459&dataid=33393&FileName=2-13_3-03 Sr High Lunch menu.pdf

American schools are caught in a power struggle.
The kids want junk food, the parents want healthy food, and the government requires that the school actually SELL the food or they won't reimburse them for the lunch program. The healthy food is more expensive, and schools are super fucking underfunded.

Over the past 8 years Michelle Obama worked to make the children weaker like her husband did the military.

>she
>her

get back to your containment board assholes

Are these made out of rat ears or something?

My high school had a pretty decent cafeteria. Chicken burgers was the everyday regular thing. Hamburgers, spagetti or some other things on special days. Eventually we got a sub sandwich bar with lots of ingredients (pepperoncinis, jalepenos, vinegar etc). Good al la carte menu also This was a smaller cowtown school.

>HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZED THE EX PRESIDENT, SHITLORDS
Me thinks tumblr whales shouldnt be telling others to leave

Funny since the schools are catered by Crofthall here while Sodexo runs the health care and prison food. Crofthall offloads the burgers to our local diner chain while they do the hearty takeout and subs.

As for the health industry it is superstore tier bare bones. Good enough to not complain but dont look at the pantry unless you want disappointment.

Michelle Obama objectively made the school lunch program in America worse, and anyone who denies their arbitrary political fanboyism. US school food pre-2008 was fantastic. It has been shit ever since.

Tell that to me in the 90s eating recycled meat product, canned veg and rehydrated powders that are vaguely fruit and vegetable colored. Burgers Day 1 become Sloppy Joe's on Day 2. Day 3: Chicken nuggets. Day 4: leftovers from Day 2 become Tacos. Day 5: I think it's pizza. Rectangular plastic cheese texture on lukewarm cardboard. They were nice enough to paint pepperoni on it, though. They did have good milk to wash it all down.

DEM 'TRITION FACKS BE TOO HARD TAH READ

It was shit, the best stuff was the shittiest microwaved burger patty on stale bread, with salad consisting of iceberg lettuce. And the worst stuff was shit that literally looked, and smelled of dog shit

The current County I live in in Texas is a ISD (independent school district) and from what I was able to tell when I went there for a meeting was it was pretty good. Compared to living in North Carolina, it was absolutely garbage. It really depends but I've heard michele Obamas school lunch program really did a number on government funded schools.

I went to public school for 1 year and I have fond memories of a cheap, thin crust pizza with sweet sauce.

try it, strawberry chicken salad isn't bad
it's not american white food, mixing fruit with dinner food but that doesn't mean it's unpleasant
I'm sure you've seen tangerines in salads before

How

>ordering fast food for children
>a positive thing

Goddamn you /pol/tards are so retarded I too would become a paranoid knucklefuck.

yes
they don't cook, just reheat government-approved nutrient blocks

wake county public here
elementary school was standard
middle school was awful
in high school all anybody ever ate was french fries, little caesars pizza, and otis spunkeater cookies

Seriously though, what makes these look so disgusting?

Can't even imagine what they would taste like.

There's a lot that schools have to consider before they can even begin to make a lunch.
Ultimately it's the local district that sets what the kids eat, but they do have to fall within the state budget and guidelines. There are also federal guidelines to follow, but those are really just suggestions. Those suggestions have enough backing behind them that their usually weight heavily.
Combine that with low budgets, that are arguably applied in the wrong places, doesn't always make for the most appetizing food.

>it's square pizza day again
>gross pizza, plus a little milk carton and some corn = $4

At least you had a fucking cafeteria.

My school just had a small shop with like 20 seats. All they sold was candy & some pastry.

Later they offered to cook you some spaghetti or a frozen pizza.

do american schools really have a mcdonalds in them?

Mine just has a McChicken cart.

I had a Subway in my highschool

I wish mine did
to be fair they let us go off campus so people just went there anyways, there were almost no fatties in my school tbqh

Only the Ivy League

>There are actually plenty of people in the USA who feel that the First Lady should not be allowed to do any kind of fundraising or campaigning for the community too in USA.
no there aren't

My high school had great food, I had better food there than in college. Your parents put money into a school account and the school gave each student an id card that let you use the money in the account to buy stuff in the cafeteria. It was a lot like an actual restaurant, they let you pick whatever you wanted and then paid for it at the cashier, I liked their salmon and rice plates personally, but the meatballs and green beans were pretty good too, though most people just got stuff like pizza or hamburgers. They even sold candy and soda when I was going there, heard they had to get rid of it later because of health initiatives.

foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/25/republicans-look-to-scrap-michelle-obama-school-lunch-plan.html
nationalreview.com/article/423784/uncle-sam-and-school-lunches

To be fair, even conservatives admit that the project had good intentions, but it was implemented poorly. Forcing a single 'healthy' standard on all kids was never going to end well, especially when kids still think greens and fruits are 'icky'.

If there's going to be reform, it should be educationally promoting healthy eating, persuading students to take advantage of the healthier options in their cafeterias instead of going for junk food. Free meals for poorer kids should still be policy, especially because their parents are the least likely to cook.

Unfortunately, I really don't see a Trump administration enforcing either, but I'm hoping he can prove me wrong.

I went to poorly funded public school in Alabama. The food was very bad. At least once a week black people fought each other in the cafeteria. Weep for everyone still in school.

>the portions were too big
Then why did you take so much?

>They even sold candy and soda when I was going there, heard they had to get rid of it later because of health initiatives.

Same shit happened in my high school, man. We had a few fat kids, sure, but they weren't shoveling down french fries and pizza (though it was available) and their weight was more than likely the result of inactivity. The """health""" initiatives took away all the fun from lunch and left us with shitty options.

Government overreach at its finest.

Lived in Robeson county.

At my high school in a moderately populated area in the middle of Georgia, USA the food was pretty good most of the time. We had 5 lines with different things to choose from (more popular foods had multiple lines). We had these delicious hot wings every Friday. Man if there's anything I miss about school it's those fucking hot wings.

>All these blobernaught claps complaining that their school food was "ruined" because somebody thought perhaps they could try eating something green instead of their previous deep fried artificially flavored HFCS

Keep living up to the stereotype (as long as that doesn't put too much strain on your heart)!

Nothing wrong with healthy food but many of these schools put in no effort to make it taste good.

Are these the surface of Mars or what?

Unlike your mom, schools are under no obligation to cater to picky eaters.

Seriously. Let's have the children eat complete shit at the school because this is the land of freedom and we have a right!
>muh diabetes
>muh obesity
>muh heart problems

Lots of binders in the patty and probably steamed in those steam ovens. Liquid and stuff rises to the surface and doesn't turn all crispy like they do on the pan or on a griddle.

It depends entirely on how poor the school district is.

I went to middle-class schools including religious schools and charters. The food was mostly pre-made stuff from costco, like little individual servings of chef boyardee, individually-packaged tiny pizzas, whatever. the stuff that was cooked at the schools was unappetizing to picky eaters but overall just mediocre stuff you'd find in a diner. none of the weird spongy hamburgers that people are posting pics of.

in high school they almost exclusively bought food from subway, sonic, and blackjack pizza. we had a salad bar and bowls of fruit around but why would you buy a shitty red delicious apple for 50 cents when you could get one slice of pizza for 1.50? we also had a soft-serve ice cream and slushy machines.

the shitty urban schools I taught at had the worst food. in america, if a certain percentage of the school qualifies for free breakfast, they give it to the entire school including the staff. there were these weird bagel-tubes filled with frozen cream cheese (everyone called them dildos including the staff), monstrous "bean" burritos, and they had the infamous spongy hamburger patties too. they did have one good thing though--"breakfast cookies". the lunchladies sometimes made them at home (I suspect this is when the district ran out of money because it was usually towards the end of the month) they were basically little oat cakes with cinnamon and raisins.

basically, poor schools in america get the horrible food you hear about, while richer schools get junk and fast food. none of it is nutritious, just some of it is slightly higher quality.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that food companies sponsor and partially fund schools, so they serve their products.

A lot of public schools get very little in the way of funding and have to basically rely off of donations to get by. It really depends on what school district you're talking about though, it varies wildly.

Yeah, it varies from state to state, and then from school to school within a state. The worst is absolutely horrendous, but if a school has a good food service director, things are just fine.

The problem is school cafeterias have so many competing directives they have to try to meet on tight budgets that a lot of schools just kind of give up and rely on cheap prepackaged crap that barely meets the nutrition requirements they're given.

It's an administrative challenge rather than a culinary one.

This must only be the case in flyover states. I went to a private school in NYC and this was certainly not the case. No fast food or junk. It had a hot meal section that changed every day, sandwich and pizza station, and salad bar. Never fries or chicken tendies or shit like that.

Well, it is a private school in one of the most expensive state to live in, of course they're going to try not look like a run of the mill public school cafeteria.

because you went to a private school you thundercunt. the government wasn't buying your lunch.

It's not about catering to picky eaters, its about cooking food properly and using some form of seasoning.

It wasn't happening in YOUR high school, but that doesn't mean unhealthy eating wasn't the general trend (see the post you just replied to for an example).

Besides, junk food has a lot of ways to fuck your system up with no apparent sign of weight gain. As a matter of fact, the diabetes researchers I work with regard obesity as a surprisingly unreliable risk factor for the disease; it's where the fat goes that matters, not the amount.

I'm not defending Michelle's program; it was a poorly thought out logistical nightmare. But I do believe the rationale behind it was sound, because no responsible government should sit by and twiddle their thumbs while schoolkids play Russian-roulette with their health every lunchtime.

The meals were given as is.

So eat less? Not sure how it's an issue

Also, we ate as much we could because of the threat of nuns hitting us with rulers.

So you'd hit if you didn't eat? No wonder yanks are so overweight.

>you'd hit
Get hit, I mean.

Not him, but we can thank fast food and sedentary lifestyles for that. However, when I was in daycare the caregivers would spank me if I didn't sleep during naptime. I think that fucked me up somehow.

It's more of a university thing.

It looks like this because the schools cook them straight from the freezer and don't let them defrost.

Yeah for us I think it was more an enforcement of discipline. We had to wear uniforms, follow a standard code of hygiene/presentation, finish our meals, greet teachers and administrative staff in cordial manner, etc.

That's clearly egg foo yung, not a burger.

It was pretty much crap in the 1970s. Even the low-end stuff at Wal-Mart is higher quality than the "fish sticks" and similar garbage they used to serve back then.

I hear it's gotten much worse, especially during Moochelle Obama's "force kids to eat healthy shit" program. Not to mention that many schools are now prohibiting children from bringing bagged lunches from home because "muh federal lunch program subsidies".

>Not to mention that many schools are now prohibiting children from bringing bagged lunches from home because "muh federal lunch program subsidies".

That is fucked up.

>please eat this garbage because we need more government handouts

I wouldn't know I spent lunch in the bathroom stall throughout high school

>bathroom stall
Ha, get lost fag. The wrestlers had a room with a closed door in the main locker room. Would eat lunch alone in there and even jerk it a few times if i felt adventurous

I'm substitute teaching in a sort of rural county in California. The food is pretty shit but tastes good.

Forgot pics. This is from an elementary school.

This is from a high school. Every high school I taught at had chicken burgers as a lunch option everyday.

This is correct, at least it was when I was when I was in school.

Awful, awful food with almost no nutritional value.

This. Over here up north White Spot does our burger flipping in Uni. Regular high schools has their own griddle for burgers and fries

I had two packs of toastchee crackers and a orange soda everyday going to a private school. I had a quarter left over everyday that went into my weed fund.

I went to high school in the US.

The school lunch quality was a shit pendulum. It'd swing back and forth between fuck awful and amazing.

Dishes like the hot dogs, burgers, nachos, chicken sandwiches, Salisbury steak, and penne pasta were fantastic.

Then there was the baked potatoes, grilled cheeses, pizza (pepperoni and cheese), chili, turkey roast, and above all else the green bean casserole that were HORRIFIC.

I honestly think it was down to ingredient suppliers. The good stuff was so far ahead in quality, it had to be from somewhere else.

Although admittedly the fried chicken breast sandwiches were from a gas station up the highway. Still fantastic. I miss a good Klux Deluxe. Yes Klux. As in Ku Klux Deluxe.

>Often the same companies supply both schools and prisons.

Sodexo and/or Aramark, without a doubt. Both of them suck and put no consideration into the nutritional value of their products

In terms of fast food, chickfila isn't that bad. It's esentially just a fried chicken breast served in one of 3 ways.