Travelling around Japan

>travelling around Japan
>make friends with professional chef
>mention I want to buy a handmade Japanese kitchen knife
>he drives me out to bumfuck nowhere to a little blacksmith run by a 90yo man who's been making knives for 7 decades
>buy this little beauty for $15

I was told I would easily have to pay $200 in a big city for the same.

Also, post your knives.

nice.

Other knives he had for sale.

The workshop.

Literally a streetside shop. I walk standing on the sidewalk taking this photo.

couldn't be bothered to polish it eh?

He was japanese not polish

I dig the rough look

he's been doing it for 7 decades faggot, I think he might know a bit more about knives than you

You bought obsolete antique garbage for a high price, except it isn't an antique. Its a modern replica, AKA fake.
Its not valuable. Its not useful either. You got ripped off. Enjoy your classic fake of what technology was cool a hundred years ago. Substandard in design, materials, and manufacturing.

But how many times did he fold it?

forderd over a mirrion timesu

it's called kurouchi, or blacksmith finish. Though OPs looks shittily done desu.

It helps keep foods from sticking to the blade when you cut.

>$15 is expensive

>a high price

Hey everybody, get a look at the poorfag

I think they cheat a bit when it looks that good, it's probably more enamel than pure black scale from heat treatment.

Nice bait. Kys yourself

That particular blade is a nice ~$400 Aogami super, so it's probably mostly legit black scale. Maybe enamel touchup.

I knew millenials were doing shitty in life but $15 being expensive is like somalia tier poor

Its worth a couple bucks at the most. Its not a collectors item, and its not useful either.
Its a souvenir from some fag's trip to Japan.
Its absolutely worthless to me, and everyone else who wasn't there to see how cute some old guys workshop was, back when Japan had the will to bomb Pearl Harbor.
You weebs think that's real cute, but I dont. Its shameful to support old school Japs. They hate our guts with a passion, and your tourist ass faggot handed over money for a piece of crap that you ran to Veeky Forums to brag about. You stupid chump man.

You got some chubby fingers, boy

>something something PEARL HARBOR something something
jesus christ

I'm trying to think of a more unlikable person than you. Help me out here...

something something ATOMIC BOMBS something something

Not sorry, would bomb again

And nobody cares about OP's tourist gift shop vacation

There are people that unironically have this world view. That scares me a little.

You heard it heard it here, knives are obsolete and not useful.

Dude I'm pretty sure we avenged Pearl Harbor quite well with two nukes. PH was like being jabbed by a thumbtack in comparison. Like there's no reason to be upset anymore.

what on earth makes that knife (blade) worth $400?

I for one prefer this over mcchicken thread #23054

He liked my guts enough to knock 200yen off the price.

Its still nothing more than a refrigerator magnet to remind you of your AWESOME trip.
Did you talk about the war? Did he apologize on his knees? I expect nothing less.

Firebombing killed more ppl

Yeah, but firebombing is so cliche. And it takes days. Nukes are just so stylish and chic

the death of innocents by savages should never be forgiven. japan will never be forgiven

Most people that aren't soulless automatons do enjoy having keepsakes from their trips abroad. For $15 that's a pretty awesome keepsake. And unlike the vast majority of touristy kitsch, it can actually be used.

You, for example, can use it to neck yourself

>using a knife to hang yourself

Desu, I...

You gotta admit, it gets the job done

Pretty sure he's fucking shitfaced. It's pretty common on here.

Heh.

I want this Korean/Chink to pls go

Autism

Where in Japan was this? What knife were you using before?

Fuck off, retard.

Outside Miyazaki city. And none, I'm a backpack traveller.

Alcoholism is nothing to scoff at user.

>what on earth makes that knife (blade) worth $400?

Craftsmenship and the fact you can't really make a copy of that blade in the US.

Here is a $1,400 blade. The blade smith who makes them only makes ~5-10 per year for the US market.
This particular blade is also a Honyaki blade, which means it is smithed in the same fashion as traditional samurai blades from a single block of steel this gives it the mirror finish and provides strength, This technique is very difficult to master as any fuck ups in the manufacturing process will ruin the finished product.

For some of the more exotic super steels (HAP40, ZDP-189, etc) you can expect to pay similar high price tags, $500-1000+. This particular blade is Aogami #2 steel, a nicer super steel would likely make this cost upwards of $1,800.

hope that dude has a fall back of some kind that's not a lot of money relative to the amount of time that went into making it and level of skill required to make it.

He only makes 5-10 of THOSE blades for the US per year, he makes hundreds of cheaper blades, and plenty of higher end blades for the domestic japanese market.

>$200 is expensive

so, um, why didn't you buy all of them and then re-sell them in the big city for $200 a pop?
>spend $120
>sell for $1600
>reap the profits

Because it's a cheap ass knife made to look similar to the nicer $200+ knives.

It's not a BAD knife, but just looking at it you can see it's not a super clean grind, the profile isn't bad, but not one i'd prefer personally.

Also, what kind of core steel is it? Does it have a stainless steel cladding? Has it got a reactive cladding that requires more care? Etc. etc.

With this knife, who knows.

Knife autism threads on this board are hilarious. You guys are such dorks.

There are a lot of people selling low-tier kurouchi knives with soft iron cladding and blue steel core on the internet from no-name smiths, $40-60 is the going rate for ok examples

Op's knives look incredibly amateurish which explains the silly low price

Not being able to see the life makes it hard to be sure, but OP's knife looks like cheap construction and probably not worth much more than what he paid for it.

The difference is, it's Japanese and exotic, so it looks cooler to us than our own shitty knives available for that price.

No one in their right mind would pay $200 for that. It looks mass-produced but if an old man made it than enjoy it.

How does it handle and cut? How does the edge hold?

where was this, id love to go there

>for that price
It was $15, what we get for that price is old hickory or dexter

This is probably equivalent to old hickory but with a higher Rockwell

There are dozens of long historied smiths in japan, some stretching back over 800 years of craftsmen.

If you have a REAL interest in smithing and Japanese blade smithing specifically i'd recommend trying to visit one of the nicer blade shops, though i'd 100% recommend going outside of tokyo, as that's where all the expensive overpriced stuff will mainly be.

Looks almost as good as my $35 stamped knife.

The question is, does its sharpness last, or will you end up dulling it to worthlessness after a few years?

>All these mugs replying to a weeaboo fantasist thread
Sage.

Its meant to be sharpened user. It will holds it's edge much longer than most steels, as it is Aogami #2 which is a good quality high carbon steel known for edge retention and sharpness.

No knife will last forever without needing to be resharpened. If you aren't confident enough to do it yourself, spend the ~$20 to get it professionally sharpened once a year.

>Honyaki gives a mirror finish
Not how it works bro

Mirror finish comes from polishing

Honyaki tends to be polished more than some other production methods for the same reason they have the nicest handles: they're high end products and it's expected

>having a passport is an absurd internet lie much like a backflip into my Lamborghini
Never change, /NEET/

To be fair, you'll rarely see a Honyaki blade that isn't mirror polished.

Right, just as you won't see one with a shitty thermoplastic handle. But it's not because of the forging method

OPs knife looks to be iron alloy, i.e. not stainless steel, making it a softer metal which is much easier to sharpen and hone, but requires sharpening more frequently and requires to be dried completely after washing/using to prevent rust. If you have sharpening stones, these knives are easier to keep razor sharp. But the whole hurr I have true Japanese kitchen knife like I'm a samurai with superior metal is fucking dumb

What a beauty

>i.e. not stainless steel
Shirogami #1 and 2, Aogami #1, 2, and Aogami super are all high carbon steels that aren't stainless and they're all capable of 60+ HRC

>superior steel folded more than 1000 times

#rekt

I too love japanese knives!
VG-10 16 layer damascus 9.25" Gyuto and 5.3" Petty knife

Just like most Japanese shit, its all about brand and hype instead of quality. Im not saying its not a good knife, but people act like Japanese $100 knives are 10x better than $100 knives when they might be 5% better. Same shit with sushi. People outside of Japan can make sushi of the literal exact same quality that nobody could distinguish for 10% of the price, but people fall for the Japanese hype and assume they're some kind of wizard craftsmen with ungodly powers.

no one's saying they're functionally miles beyond western knives. It's not purely about function it's an appreciation for the aesthetic and the craftsmanship that went into making them. The rest is sort of romanticism but it's not a bad thing.

Fucking this, 3/4 of the people who are buying these expensive knives know for a fact a stainless steel stamped blade would generally be acceptable for daily use, but they are buying the craftsmanship, paying for the art and traditional craft.

I assume that's a typo and the second $100 was missing a zero, but no, nobody acts like that, speedy. We're talking about a $15 knife here, and you got triggered because it's from the wrong country

You're like that guy who starts raving about how wine is a conspiracy to make him feel uncultured, upon overhearing a conversation about a $10 bottle of Cono Sur

>VG-10
Absolutely disgusting

GPS coordinates of shop? OP pls!

>2500 yen is $22.30

VG-10 is a meme steel. If you get a jap knife it should be a carbon steel otherwise there's no point

Should have also bought the second from the right.

>i can tell the difference between iron alloys and steel by looking at this picture
Are you a fucking metallurgist?

Actual quote
> have true Japanese kitchen knife like I'm a samurai with superior metal is fucking dumb
this is retard for "don't listen to me"

Man, I couldn't tell you. It was somewhere close to the Aoshima Shrine beach.

Just retrace steps on street view.

Grind

Stamp.

The metal was lacquered before sharpening.

Unhealthy weeaboo obsession.

What's unhealthy about it?

Jesus, that's a bad kurouchi

And the lacquering is just going to make it harder to scrape off

>iron alloy, i.e. not stainless steel,
What the fuck are you blathering about?

Stainless steel is an iron alloy. So is every other sort of steel. All steels are iron alloys. That's the whole fucking definition of what steel is: iron plus carbon plus small amounts of other elements to fine-tune the properties, like chromium for rust resistance, molybdenum and vanadium for hardness, sometimes even lead to make it easy to machine.

He doesn't even know that stainless steel is an iron alloy, apparently, so I'm guessing no.

why not just buy one of the knives with the nicer finish, I would've bought the 3rd and 4th from the right if I were you

>TIL 15 dollars is a high price.
off yourself faggot

Just admit that you know absolutely nothing about knives, knife making, metallurgy, or how much labor would go into hand-making a knife like the one he posted instead of mindlessly blathering on about shit you have not the slightest clue about.

The forging method and mirror polishing alone add up to enough labor to explain most of that price, as both are astronomically labor intensive.

>The forging method and mirror polishing alone add up to enough labor to explain most of that price, as both are astronomically labor intensive.
It's like the morons who can't fathom how a violin, cello, or similar wooden instrument could cost thousands of dollars, tens of thousands for the higher end products.

>It's just wood

While ignoring the hundreds of hours dedicated to learning and mastering the craft, on top of the time invested in that particular instrument.

>Carbon steel is softer than stainless
Kill yourself, retard

Yeah, I'm considering going back to buy one of those, too.

Buy American (if you can afford it)

"Kramer initially sold his knives in the conventional fashion: $150 for an 8-inch chef's knife in 1995, $125–$225 in 2000, $475 in 2008. After a 2008 article in Cook's Illustrated that deemed his 8-inch chef's knife to have "outperformed every knife we've ever rated"[1] Kramer began selling by a waiting list. Finally, As of 2017, the knives are sold by auction only. At auction a new handmade knife by Kramer cost $30,000 in 2015, as much as 100 mass-produced knives mass-produced with similar materials to his specifications.

A handmade blade by Kramer was displayed as part of a juried art exhibition at Bellevue Arts Museum in 2016–2017.[6] His knives are especially known for their fine Damascus steel patterns and exotic wood handles and "heirloom quality" polishing and finishing.[5] Chef Christopher Kimball has called a Kramer chef's knife his "most prized tool"."