Meat help

I have BEEF CHUCK STEAK BONELESS

First time cooking this, what recipe should I use?

I'm gonna make some potato too..

Chuck steak is a tasty but tough steak. I'd braise or stew, because cooked like a steak it won't be all that satisfying.

You're right. It won't be very satisfying cooked like a steak. What kinda stew should I do?

Get a slow cooker
Fill said slow cooker with literally fucking anything + steak
Leave for 8 hours
Done

It's genuinely that easy. In all seriousness though, something like a goulash would be good considering the time of year, and it's an underappreciated dish

fuck man, I have a slow hooker

But I have been jacking off all day, and it has now been roughly 6 hours since I made the OP.

So I guess I'm gonna keep jackin off then go to wendys and Ill see if i can slow cook the meat tomorrow. fml

freeze it for 45 minutes and slice it real thin and make cheese steaks

>considering the time of the year

Do Americans really do this? I don't think they do, because it's going to be 40C here today

Just cook it overnight

Try making Rouladen

put it in a pot with cold water and boil it for 20 minutes. people like chewy food

Marinate it for at least 36 hours in 5ml olive oil, 5ml soy sauce, orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, 5ml ground oregano, 5ml ground cumin, and an aromatic paste consisting of at least fresh cilantro, brown onion, scallions, and garlic.

miso steak!

obsessed

did u just meme me?

preheat oven to about 170 degree
get roasting tray nice and hot
get roasting tray nice and oiled
season your steak
brown your steak in tray
cut garlic head in half and fry in tray
rub garlic over steak
add tomato paste and cook it out for a couple mins
add red wine, bring to boil and reduce by half
add beef stock and bring to boil
cover in foil
cook in oven for about 2 hour

Obsessed with what?

how thick is the cut
i'd just sear it for a few minutes on both sides

Chuck steak - the good parts - can be a good poor man's steak. It's fatty, but it tastes beefy so it's flavorful and CAN be tender - unlike say "bottom roast". This was "steak" for me growing up. Depending how fancy you are, we just used granulated garlic and seasoning salt and pan fried it to medium rare. Ah, the good ol' days.

I don't think that was the OP.

user did something... 36 hrs? soy sauce twice? 3 different citrus? Brown onion?

Great recommendation. Otherwise I would have just bought a chuck roast, not a steak.

How do you boil red wine and beef stock in an oven tray set in an oven that is only set to 170F?

This.

As several other anons noted, chuck is a a stew meat and needs a long braise, preferably in a Dutch oven, but if you don't have one of those a slow cooker *would* work. The trick to that is browning all your meat and veg prior to putting it in the slow cooker. For example, for a simple stew do the following: trim and cube up your meat, s&p, lightly coat in flour & set aside. Dice up a large onion and a couple of carrots, smash several cloves of garlic, set aside. The technical term for this is 'mise en place' which means "getting your shit together." If you have fresh thyme all the better, strip the stems of their leaves and mince, or tie up in a bundle of kitchen twine. Take a stainless steel pan, get it hot and place a generous knob of butter in and a bit of olive oil (OO raises the flash point of the butter), working in batches brown your meat on all sides, place in crock. The goal here is to create a bunch of browned stuff (not burnt!) in your pan. This is called a fond and it is what makes of the flavor of your braise. Next, and in this order throw your onions and carrots in and sauté until onions are soft, (chopped tomatoes or tomato paste if using), garlic in, scraping up all the browned bits in the pan with a wooden spoon, add a bit of what ever liquid you are going to braise with, this could be beer (like a stout, porter, or brown), wine (zin or Bordeaux) or beef broth, bring to a simmer and scrap up all those bits. Pour the whole thing into the slow cooker, if you're putting in potatoes, parsnips etc., those should go in as well, top up the whole thing with your liquid so it just covers, add a bay leaf and the thyme and let her rip. It'll be done when the meat is fork tender. Wa-la.

>I have BEEF CHUCK STEAK BONELESS
There is a reason this is typically sold as hamburger, or else a whole roast to braise. Those are the two best ways to prepare it.

For preparing as "steaks", try buying ny strip, ribeye, bone in T bone, and if you're really talented and experienced cook, you can get by with sirloin. Just because your butcher sells thin slices of this or that and calls it steaks for $4 each, doesn't mean you should take the bait. There are a few dishes that use tough cuts like eye of round (rofl), because it's pounded, browned, then braised until fall apart tender. You can beat some thin cutlets into submission as rouladen too, if you braise them a while after stuffing and browning.

I'd consider slicing this against the grain and simmering in a sauce until tender. By sauce, anything is possible, stock, wine, mushrooms cooked in drippings from bacon, tons of onions, carrots, tomatoes, sour cream, yogurt, curry, whatever your mood might be..

But the right steak cut next time? The more you know...

>slice against the grain
Good tip, not only for this cut but for any of the other lessors as well. Best way to polish a turd.

>I'm gonna make some potato too..
You cook potatoes son, you don't make them.

Idk if the steak would go bad in 36hrs...